Author Topic: Whats going on er then?  (Read 16621 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Whats going on er then?
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
I cant remember how I acquired this scan photo. Anyone know what happening here?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Whats going on er then?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
Weston Park I think. Dutch van attending the event delivering the Inter on its return trip to the Ferry home, backloaded with the Messerschmitt restoration project I swapped for the Inter. This was in the days when there was a fair turnout of chums from the continent at our bigger rallies so such things did not attract comment. The Inter did though. I would have attended in a Messerschmitt convoy of 4 or 5 owners local to me here, camping. Out of those one has passed away, 3 own cars still but no longer participate and the last I have lost contact with having moved to Australia with his Schmitt. 

Bit of biz going on with a guy half my size - Hmmm.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
The white van owner was Arie van Rosmalen, the biggest crook in the microcar world. He ripped people of on a daily basis. As a result he was kicked out of the Dutch microcar club for ever and banned from returning to the Story rallies in Germany, as Otto Kunnecke caught him buying a Peel from a lady, moving a few metres and trying to resell it for double the money. A bloke who should be avoided. I know him well, as I married his sister ! Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
I was hoping you two guys could fill in the blanks, in fact I did wonder if the guy on the left was actually you Nick! A rather trim looking Al there. From the picture I would have guessed that Al had just had him over but in the light of Nicks comments maybe it was the other way around. Mind you who WOULDNT try and get rid of a Peel for twice the price one had just paid for it, cant see the problem there! The biggest crook ah! Who might the second  and third biggest crook be I wonder, maybe we shouildnt pursue that line as law suits may fly plus my name is bound to come up at some stage! :D

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
Otto Kunnecke caught him buying a Peel from a lady, moving a few metres and trying to resell it for double the money.
Only double the money.  :( My God - he needs  to take a few tips from some of the folk on this forum.
Selling microcars for a profit - whatever next?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
And I thought our family christmas's were fun  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
Bob, you'll find that I sent you that photo :)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
Otto Kunnecke caught him buying a Peel from a lady, moving a few metres and trying to resell it for double the money.
Only double the money.  :( My God - he needs  to take a few tips from some of the folk on this forum.
Selling microcars for a profit - whatever next?

I'm sure I can do better, my dad bought the Trojan in 1970 for 150 guilders, that's about 70 euro's... I'm sure I get over 140 euro's If I put it on Ebay now!
Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »

Did you Jonathan? Thanks, that solves that one! When you get to my age you may have the same memory problems as me!

How do you feel about being the number one crooks nephew then? Hope its not genetic!  :o

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »
The white van owner was Arie van Rosmalen, the biggest crook in the microcar world. He ripped people of on a daily basis. As a result he was kicked out of the Dutch microcar club for ever and banned from returning to the Story rallies in Germany, as Otto Kunnecke caught him buying a Peel from a lady, moving a few metres and trying to resell it for double the money. A bloke who should be avoided. I know him well, as I married his sister ! Nick.

Totally agree Nick. This happened in 1988 and i was the guy bought the Peel from Arie van Ripp off !

I am happy i still own it !

Ferdi
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:18:15 AM by Peelpower »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
I think the other chap in the picture might be the late Dave Smedley, HTOEC editor for sometime. One of a line of very good editors that club had, but it also was a club that lost to many very active and skilled organizing and committee members to early deaths or debilitating illness. One wonders what it might have achieved if these guys had remained hale and hearty. It wouldn't have needed me on the committee for one thing. Anyway that is all history and we have the HTC Ltd instead.

Have not seen Arie for yonks. Last met at a few Mannheims after perhaps a 7 years gap. He was at that time doing trips into Italy buying up Italian motorcycles and launching them into the Northern European market. I think he was into Scooters briefly too.  He tried getting me interested but UK to Italy is a van breaker and what with the time taken on a trip I was happy to leave that trade to folk hungrier than myself. Buying from him in Holland and shipping back was not economic. He was rather taken aback by my much more conservative rationalized profit and loss estimate based business planning. I had sort of outgrown his way of doing business by the time we met again. I struggled to understand quite what he had gained from all the wheeler dealing as he seemed to be living in the same place doing similar things where as I had moved up the pecking order. Pity as I actually enjoyed doing deals with him even though he was sharper than a porcupine with a pencil sharpener. I got some rattling good stuff off him back in the day.

I recall he bought quite a few Berkeleys off me at one time. What he was doing was then tidying them and selling them off registered using the one ID that historically appeared in the Dutch system. This was fine until some 9 had been sold and the owners started getting out and about. Ultimately there was an official knock on the door so as to find out what was going on with these clones. I confess to finding that quite funny. Ultimately he ended up with 7 ID-less cars in a container in the garden. I assume he had to buy them back from disgruntled owners. This in itself then encouraged further problems when Customs, Tax and Dept of Employment inspectors arrived mob-handed to investigate his entire lifestyle. Several conainers full of cars and a girt garage full of stuff behind your house is a tad tricky to hid. Fortunately I was long off the scene by then, and had done my business correctly anyway, but one can do without officialdom being nosey. 

Given the affor mentioned situations at Story and within DWAC before this event I could not comment on if Arie had been too lax with his 'collecting', or if he was bubbled by someone, for him to get into deep trub with the Dutch Government. It certainly saw him off the scene with Microcars and but for a few occasions his name has all but disappeared from buying and selling them.

I also did not forgive him for dumping me un-advised right in the middle of Nick and Ant getting ready to drive off to marry. Totally uninvited. Not normal for me to be speechless but I really did not know how to conduct myself in such an embarrassing situation when your not wanted. In itself an unhelpful situation between sparing micronauts and I could have done without it. It was one of the reasons I terminated business soon after as it was crass and the heat was getting a bit warm.

I am not certain what happened to the Berks but I think Thomas Luck might have bought them, though Harry Conners had a load of them as well at one point.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »

Did you Jonathan? Thanks, that solves that one! When you get to my age you may have the same memory problems as me!

How do you feel about being the number one crooks nephew then? Hope its not genetic!  :o

I hope it isnt!!!

I'm sure he's also ripped a few people of by saying he's my dads brother in law, making him sound honest... Let's hope it doesnt change our reputation!

About the age/memory thing... My dad is stareting to get it ;) (mildly!)
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Oh dear, poor old Nick, now may be a good time to remind him of the grand he owes me then! ;)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
Oh dear, poor old Nick, now may be a good time to remind him of the grand he owes me then! ;)

How about the INter you owe US ;) We did pay for it, remember?  ;D
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
Nahhhh I think I would remember that! :D
Anyway, surely they are two a penny over where you live, languishing in barns, you could nick one for a song like the last Schmitt! ;) Uncle would be proud of you!