Author Topic: posting on youtube  (Read 4868 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
posting on youtube
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
often wondered how you post on youtube . i have cinefilms, video tapes and dvd's how on earth would you post them on youtube. i know i really shouldnt ask as i am certain to not understand the answer  :(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: posting on youtube
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
Easy. All you need to do is point your proxy to the server, bypassing your IP.

Hehe I just said a load of crap ;)

The hardest bit for you would be turning them to computer formats. We had a couple of tapes wenwanted to put online, the easiest way we found was to actually get your camcorder to film the tape playing. That means light off and no one talking!

After that, its as simple as dragging the folder on your desktop, going on youtube, making an account if you havent done, and click the "upload" button. Just select your file, add title and description, and enjoy wasting you're life on youtube ;) (you'll soon get addicted ;) )
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
for that you need a cine camera , screen of course and a camcorder , this latter i dont have . i guess my blackberry will do that but i will never figure out how to do most of what that does 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »
for that you need a cine camera , screen of course and a camcorder , this latter i dont have . i guess my blackberry will do that but i will never figure out how to do most of what that does 

I've never really been a blackberry person (I'm an iPhone user ;) ),  but I don't think the camcorder will be good enough on it. My iPhone camera is quite crap for videos, but it also depends how old your phone is, mine is 2008, which is quite old seeing how fast technology advances!

However, one of my friends filmed this with his phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOPOmv29eB0

Amazing thinking that the camera module is only about 1cm total!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:57:24 PM »
often wondered how you post on youtube . i have cinefilms, video tapes and dvd's how on earth would you post them on youtube. i know i really shouldnt ask as i am certain to not understand the answer  :(

I do this regularly for other people.
For the cinefilms you either need to video off a screen with a DIGITAL video recorder, then import to a computer so they end up as a file-format that is YouTube compatible.
Same sort of thing with video tapes, but you need to convert them to a DIGITAL format.  I use a digital camcorder in between the video tape deck and the computer. The ones I use have "pass through" that converts the analog video signal to a digital signal instantly as it "passes through" the camcorder.
I am not actually recording anything with the camcorder, just "borrowing" its circuitry for another use.

DVDs are the easiest as you just find a program to "rip" them to mp4 file format or something similar.

YouTube will allow you to upload a wide variety of formats of video :
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55744

sorry if it looks complicated but there is no single way to convert 3 different formats to digital.
Video can be tremendously complicated and particular if you end up getting into it.  Sort of like arcane modes of transportation or things of that nature.

You might also search for services that will do this for you.
Once you have the proper equipment, the process is rather trivial and repetitive, though time-consuming.
In particular transferring the cinefilms to digital is done now-a-days with a converted motion picture projector that actually SCANS each frame of film as it passes through the gate. The results look fantastic, but the equipment is not something you can buy at a store.  I am not aware of any "kits" you can buy to convert a projector either.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »
I have now had two digital cameras, a Samsung and now a Lumix and both of these have a "Movie with Sound" setting.

Take your movie and download it to your computer (this is much easier with macs, but should be no major problem with pc)

Go to YT and set up your account then upload the movie from your computer (all have different ways of achieving this)

These are the basic stages, but there is another important consideration: even a mid-price digi cam now seems to be about a gazillion times more powerful than YT's ability to receive, and about a gazillion times too full of digital information for UK internet to handle. What takes 30 secs to film can take HOURS to get onto your comp then onto YT!

I try to keep my vids to uder a minute, this helps hugely.

Much more than that and you will have to "Compress" your file using the Options on whatever movie making software your comp has. This is all very well, but having bought a reasonable camera with good lens and sound, you will find that compressing it completely ruins the good quality pic and sound! Keep the film to under a minute and you might be able to trick YT into accepting it WITHOUT having to destroy quality with compression.

If you have a good modern comp and software and a very fast internet you will find it reasonably easy with a bit of help and practice, but anything less will be very frustrating and an extreme test of your patience!

Once eventually loaded to YT (!) open/start playing the video, copy the address bar title and paste it here for us to see! Here is one of my drum videos which I did not have to compress, but it took 45 minutes to get it onto my comp, and 5 whole hours to get it uploaded to YT, YT and UK internet are WAY behind digital cameras!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX6RiwuqCRY&list=UU_42elZmeQYNhrsdb26xVAg&index=1&feature=plcp
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »

Nothing like a lacy camicorder. Dave H now has every projector you can think off, about 80, having cleared out another collection for £50. He has a stack of tinned films in Super 8 with sound. Guess which sort of projector he has not got? You gotta laugh!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs