Author Topic: the wonders of shopping for Gordon on ebay  (Read 2977 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
the wonders of shopping for Gordon on ebay
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
final - hopefully - assembly of the Gordon gearchange . this is badly worn where the horizontal gear lever connects to the vertical connecting rod there should be a pin of some sort connecting the two . unfortunately over the years some ill fitting pin must have been in use . the two holes now need drilling out oversize and maybe a clevis pin to suit purchased . before ebay i have no idea where i could buy a clevis pin of any size . i have just looked for clevis pin  3/16" spoilt for choice , just choose the length . this is where ebay really scores . yes i know that some will be very poor quality but if i go for something n.o.s or ex-RAF i should be safe
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:18:46 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: the wonders of shopping for Gordon on ebay
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »
Shame Popham is so far. The aircraft fastener man stand goes there with a stall like on old sweet shop for the oily handed. So many lovely fasteners and most very high quality. And he knows what he is talking about!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »
Looking at the photo I assume the vertical arm is held tight on the horizontal rod? It doesn't rotate? I think most engineers would have used a cotter pin on a joint like that so as you tighten up the nut the tighter the joint becomes much like a bicycle pedal on a pedal shaft. With just a pin through it there will always be the tendency for it to work loose and wear Or how about turning a pin up and pressing it in as an interference fit? I would suggest a modification would be in order.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »
i assume the same . ah ! take your point no movement is essential . i am no engineer and turning something is not an option - everything i do is simple . i could just nut and bolt it couldnt i ?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:08:28 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Can't remember what was on Jean's Gordon but it could have been a tubular spring wedge.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
uh  ???

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
Its called a roll pin or "selock pin. Its a hardened strip that has been rolled into a pin with a hollow centre. This would be perfect for your application as it is hardened
In the old days we would have fitted a taper pin after drilling with a tapered drill. Happy days.