Author Topic: Villiers 9e carb fitting prob.  (Read 11171 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Villiers 9e carb fitting prob.
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »
Hummm... just went to fit the carb on my rebuilt 9e and it wont go on, I know the bowl goes in that recess cast into the casing but I cant drop the bowl into that and get the neck onto the inlet manifold at the same time. Is there a technique? Do you have to fit the manifold to the carb first and then manifold onto the engine? What a performance!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Villiers 9e carb fitting prob.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »
I believe there are two types of inlet manifold for the 9E. One straight and other is angled to help clearance.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »
Thanks Rob, that could be it. I just remembered I used a barrel and manifold from an 11e so maybe its the wrong type manifold.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
I've just googled this, Bob ... http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0596.htm  

In 1955 the Mark 9E engine was offered.  This had a smoother outer appearance and was used as a pattern for future developments.  It was made available in either sports or trials trim, the trials model having a heavier flywheel to give smoother torque at low speeds.  A compression ratio of 8.25:1 was used, a caged roller bearing big end with 9 steel rollers and a special ignition coil with a cam which gave a longer dwell in the closing of the contact breaker points.  Trials engines were fitted with a gearbox giving wide ratios and the sports, or scrambles engine standard ones.  A number of different specifications were offered for kart engines and a standard model fitted with turbo cooling fan and a choice of either kickstart or electric start for use in scooters was also available.  The electric starter used in Villiers engines was the Siba Dynastart which used a 12 volt system.  The reverse mechanism used the fact that a two stroke engine runs just as efficiently in reverse as forward and fitted a switch which stopped the engine and then restarted it in reverse.  Engines fitted with electric starter, fan cooling and reverse gears are noted by the additions of S, F and R after the Mark coding e.g. 9E/3SFR is a 9E engine fitted with a 3 speed gear, a starter, fan cooling and reverse gear.

The 10E, which had a cylinder in an upright position and the 11E, which was a slimmer version for use in scooters were both introduced in the latter years of the decade.  The 9E was produced until 1967, the last year of Villiers as an independent company.  It had certainly been a success.

Ooo! Your name has come up in a lovely shade of blue.  ;D

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:27:53 AM »
I believe there are two types of inlet manifold for the 9E. One straight and other is angled to help clearance.

Yeah, other one is called swan neck if I'm right?
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:04 AM »
So a straight one and one for Queens. Sounds about right. Nice.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
it all sounds sensible advice - good stuff there rob. but is it that simple ? just had a quick peak at my 11E and even that manifold has a kink. yes i have seen the ones with a more obvious "swans neck" but what would happen to carburettor function if i turned my manifold upside down ? as it is the 11E has the well in the crankcase and the angle actually makes it harder if anything to fit the carb. could you turn the manifold over bob ? just a thought - or would the carb not then be horizontal

pics - poor i am afraid of my 11E
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »
Bob, If you have a straight one and not a droopy one like Richard has, I'm sure it will help in your clearance and will do the trick.  Aunt Doris.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:37:34 PM by Rob Dobie »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
Having just returned from a nightmare journey to Putney today to collect a pair of library globes I finally got a chance to whip the engine out of the car again and tackle the carb fitting problem. I don't know if mine is droopy like Dickie's ones but can confirm that if you remove the manifold, attach the carb and then refit, it all fits in place. See pic.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:49:17 PM by Bob Purton »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
Ah yes, it sticks out straight and true like a good'un should.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:14:49 PM by Rob Dobie »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
i do think its droopy like mine perhaps you could put one of those tablets in the fuel . it looks very nice but whatever would that be in the background bob - is this it's first public airing  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
Whats the matter, havnt you seen an old upturned dingy before?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
Here's Bob in his prototype.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
Ho Ho!! Love it!  :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:58 AM »
Dick van Dyke upset after floater tiff with Mary Poppins!

Guess, pic taken near whatever pier it is that people fall off hoping to win a prize for flying a 100 metres or some such distance?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs