Author Topic: Spare time?  (Read 7754 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Spare time?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
Most airframes then and now are largely made with shaped ali  sheet riveted to other bits of shaped ali. 50% of the VC 10s airframe was machined from solid billet. Also it was mostly "Fly-by-wire" as used on Concorde then 30 years later on the Boeing 777, the world's (ahem!) "first" fly-by-wire plane! The RR Conways were superb engines in their time, effectively Olympus engines but without after-burner, but sadly they are now too noisy, polluting and thirsty for service. The VC 10's sophisticated aerodynamics were designed around the Conways, and the test flew one with a more modern RB 211 one one side instead of Conways. It looks extremely odd, FAR bigger! The RAF reckon the airframes are good for another 20 years.

I remember walking up the stairs to the cabin door which was right in front of the two Port engines, it felt like you caould almost reach out and touch them, and for a boy this was so exciting.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »
Yes I can hear the Vickys taking off at Brize but they are not as loud as the Russian Antonovs that come in. I expect because they are not British they can make as much mess and noise as they need too. I think otherwise the Chinooks are the most disturbing with there supersonic whop whoping all hours, plus they have to keep off the flight lanes pushing them over us. They do dangling practice as well. They lost a Land Rover a few months ago. Fortunately into a farmers field but he was not amused and refused to give it back to them till a agreement was made. Just like kids in a playground and the grumpy neighbour..... However we half the RAF just down the road and it is busy busy and effecting folk living in the wrong places. Mind you they get free SAS hiding on there land. Great theft deterrent.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
I went past Brize a few weeks ago for a funeral, I could just see some VCs on the apron but none flying on way or way back. Early next year they will finally retire.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face