Author Topic: Is it a microcar?  (Read 8598 times)

Triporteur

• Quite Chatty
    • Online Bicycle Museum
Is it a microcar?
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:53:49 PM »
Is it a microcar? Is it a tractor? Is it...

Well, it's one of those vehicles that seems to straddle several different categories, and so rare that I've not yet found anyone who knows anything about them.

It has a 1928 Austin Seven chassis, steering and running gear

BSA Industrial engine

It's a WW2 aircraft tug

Built by British Motor Boat Mfg Co (BMB Engineering) who made the Rytecraft - which is why i've posted here to see if any Rytecraft enthusiasts have researched other vehciles made by the company?

PS Sorry i haven't been on this forum for a few years.
Sold most of my motorized stuff and got very involved with vintage bicycles over past 5 years.
Have been creating online bicycle museum which has taken all my time -

http://oldbike.eu/museum
Online Bicycle Museum - http://oldbike.eu

Online Cyclemaster Museum - http://Cyclemaster.co.uk

Sales: http://BuyVintage.co.uk

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Is it a microcar?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
Looks great!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
I guess the main thing is the engine size. How big is it? If its less than 700cc I think its a micro :)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
I like that, its cute even though I dont understand the whole classic tractor thing.

If its a WW2 aircraft tug then thats what it is. For it to be a microcar it would have to firstly be a "car"!  I think we would know if it was a car by just looking at it! :D

I wonder if Stuarts father would  know anything about the machine, shame Stuart is no longer on line. Great find!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
i like it cos it's odd - but not microcar whateva the cc . DURRR it's not a car though it it unusual  :) nowadays we have the off topic lounge ( bottom of the page ) where dubious subjects surface , like mopeds and the like , this i am afraid belongs there . it will never qualify as a microCAR . nice to hear from you again though  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
Yup not really a micro car, but an Austin 7 is a cycle car and so small it very nearly is a micro. Then there is the Rytecraft connection so this certainly is a cousin of micros. David Brown tractors were also used as tugs, often with extra bodywork, but they tended to be used for bigger planes like bombers, this mini tractor would struggle to tow a Hurricane, probably only for towing light basic trainers like de Havilland Tiger Moths, Miles Magisters and Percival Proctors. Rare and very nice!

Oh yes, David Brown of tractor fame is also the DB of Aston Martin fame.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
I understood that the David Brown tug had the bodywork in part to increase its weight so it could gain traction to tow. There of course were several functions for towing vehicles on an active base over movement of the aeroplanes. There was the towed control and infrastructure caravans and workshops for the dispersal area. The bomb trucks, The trollacks and starter packs, auxiliary fire pumps in the case of emergency, gun emplacements (normally serviced by regiment support truck) and just general purpose trailers for moving gubbins about. This small tractor unit would only be suitable to reliably do the lighter of those tasks. Indeed it has the look of a stop gap measure using readily available parts and thus prone to replacement by a specifically designed machines as they become available. Unless there was enough reason to have such a machine at a training facility. Most of those machines were manhandled but I can see a small tug being of use just to speed up the turn round of planes.
So the usage might get referenced in sites devoted to RAF training and infrastructure. The Rytecraft background is the link. I know little about that. It is Stephen Boyd territory.

Little tractors, yes very appealing to replace microcars as a na object to collect. Same size, same challenges but no silly nonesence from HM Government to spoil the fun. Cheaper prices. Just need a big field in the middle of nowhere and a service barge to take them to events, perhaps a campervan. In all respects ideal for many a Microcar Rally in fact! Road run or single furrow ploughing match? Can you drink and plough?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
Micro.  Maybe but its not a car fgs
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »
Agreed! The word Car is not more than a shortened version of Carriage, i.e. a vehicle for the carriage of people and/or goods. Hence Horse Drawn Carriage, Steam Carriage Motor Carriage, then Motor carriages gradually became known as Motor Cars, then finally just Cars.

A Tractor is by definition a vehicle for pulling some form of Carriage, so a Horse is a form of tractor!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »
So by that reasoning this is in the shetland pony catagory? ;D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
Sounds about right!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 11:47:40 AM »
There seems some obvious connections here to the (Farm) Open Day!  We have a big field, some horses and even a Gutbrod tractor stashed away somewhere.  I think they would need to have their own Register though but could be invited as interesting nearly micro vehicles!!!!!!!!  I mean we had pedal cars last year.   Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »
Agreed! The word Car is not more than a shortened version of Carriage, i.e. a vehicle for the carriage of people and/or goods. Hence Horse Drawn Carriage, Steam Carriage Motor Carriage, then Motor carriages gradually became known as Motor Cars, then finally just Cars.

A Tractor is by definition a vehicle for pulling some form of Carriage, so a Horse is a form of tractor!

Always wondered what the original Tractor Beam was. I think I will stick to ICE power if it is all the same, I've not a bucket and spade.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »
Sounds about right!

Yes. Small, hairy and obstinate with the ability to bite back when your not paying attention.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
I think you can tell by our replies Jean that we would all love to see things like that at the openday.