Author Topic: Bruce Weiner collection auction  (Read 6946 times)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Bruce Weiner collection auction
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
... it's just so silly collecting so many cars in one place for no real purpose .

errrmmm...sounds like a hobby.

other definitions of "hobby":
A: something you shovel money at
B: something you do when you should be working

anyone else got an addition to the list?

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 11:40:23 PM »
I also like sheds of project cars, but if you ever visited Bruce's museum you couldn't fail to be gobsmacked by it all. There was something for every type of enthusiast. He had mint condition cars that hundreds of US based enthusiasts could examine to help guide their own restorations, and most were very correct in every detail where possible. He also had an area of project cars that I loved. Climbing over Zeta's to check out unrestored Nobels etc. Then there was the fleet of 'on the button' micros that he was generous enough to let visitors try out. Such a shame it's going to be history. Bruce's place wiill always be one of the highlights of my microcar life.  Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »
Maybe a variation - work - something you do when u should be hobbying
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »

other definitions of "hobby":
A: something you shovel money at
B: something you do when you should be working

anyone else got an addition to the list?

A Collection is not always a hobby. It can be the product of being an acquisitionist or as a function of investment where the actual hobby is making money. Collectors and hobbyist quite often fall out as the hobbyist is hands on, getting things sorted out and tends to be interested in the workings, use and context of his hobby. The collector has a list which needs ticking off and is far less interested in the workings, many do not get thier hands dirty for instance, and historical connections but often a more critical eye to value. The collector will hoover up items eventually starving the hobbyist of material. A price rise sees the value of the remaining material pass out of affordability and we are left with a somewhat baron sphere of activity. Bruce is merely the most visible of acqusitionists but by no means the only one and he might not even have the biggest collection in terms of numbers! But collections are efemerial and get split up for many reasons. Not least as the investment of time and effort over a lifetime tends to favour the hobbyist. The rest can be seduced by a new and more shiny subject to acquire as it is the buying and list ticking that really turns them on not the nitty gritty of the actual item bought.

A look at this forum provides the various stages of the above. The 'retired' hobbyist priced out all the way to active collectors. One telling equation is who holds the active knowledge. Tends to be the hobbyists. But that is why there is a forum as it exchanges information.

C: A hobby is a lifestyle choice
D: I have very good friends who have the same interest.
E: A hobby is not just for Christmas but for holidays too.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
"Something you do to keep away from the wife when she's in a bad mood?"

Re the reason the collections is being sold, I have heard a number of thing's probably all wrong ranging from just getting bored with it to a divorce settlement. Whether that means a real divorce or just a divorcing from the collection I don't know. I hope the latter.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »
What is needed is a pre nuptial bubblecar hobby/collection. No surprise either and a plastic Isetta in the bath.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
I think we all get a buzz from locating rare cars or parts. Back in the summer I picked up this new old stock Tiger engine from Germany. It was a long way off being complete and I was worried I may never find the parts to complete it. Soon after, made an accurate list of all the parts I need. I sent emails to people all over the world and waited with baited breath for any response. It was a nail biting time, but I've now manged to get most parts needed. These came from UK, Canada, Germany and Switzerland. When the chap in Canada sent me photos of the parts he had spare I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a great buzz.  To me, that's part of this hobby.        regards,   skint Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
That's the spirit _ great stuff
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977