Author Topic: Sharing Photos - Microcar Register of Photos  (Read 17067 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Sharing Photos - Microcar Register of Photos
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »
Just trying something out.  A place where photos of microcars can be stored by anyone who is interested.

I think I can share a link with an email address, allowing that person to upload and change the directory.
I will send an invite to Bob and see what he can see (and do) with the files on DropBox.  Send me an email address and I will send you a share link.

The theory is that anyone with the link could upload a photo or create a new folder for a missing type.
Could it work without administration?

Problems?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:53:45 PM by Isetta_Owner »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Sharing Photos - Microcar Register of Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
how does that differ from flikr - microcar and bubblecar then , already hundreds of photo's there
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:33:55 AM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:59:01 AM »
Keeping them in a normal directory tree under each manufacturer.
Directories could be sub divided into models.
Word docs, pdfs etc could be stored in the appropriate folder for each model.

Not necessarily specific to the cars belonging to members of Rumcars but only accessible by the members.
You have to be invited - have the link shared with you, to be able to view and contribute.

Shared resource for Rumcars where the photos reside on my computer.

Barry

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:12:42 AM »
So Barry, how do we add cars to this photo register? Do you have to approve them of do we just add them ourselves and if so how?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
Have emailed you separately.
I am working on it.

The idea is that only invited users can modify the storage.
In principle it is up to the users to put whatever they like on there, in the right place and it is self administrating.

I would imagin that a periodic audit will be necessary and I am happy to do this.  Rearranging things and putting unwanted stuff into a junk folder.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »
seems to have promise but for me i would like it fairly regimented . sounds awful i know but bear with me . i like flikr but its mixed up - you cannot look by car type . actually you can but if you search for Bond , for example, there are pics of all sorts of other cars as well as contributors have mis- described them i suppose .under bruetsch at one time there was an awful picture i think of a Bruetsch family out hunting with dead deer carcasses ! i am not awfully interested in a mixed category as flikr already offers that and its good but not " useful " a library is a great reference
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
This should be controllable with photos in exactly the right place.  Even down to the different versions of each car, llike Bonds.
Only the photos available from Rumcars contributors should be available - where they get them from is up to them.
I don't mind keeping an eye on the register of photos but ideally contributors could add pictures in the 'correct' place.
If an expert spots that something is in the wrong place, they can move it.

Self administration or chaos?...............

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
worth a try ! there is certainly no definitive source at present for photo's of Gordons , early Bonds etc in a detailed way but if a pic is posted of a restoration done by oneself and it is viewed by other "experts" as incorrect does one say nothing so as to not cause offence or say something ? i have said this before on the subject of original lights etc. we should have a library of photos  showing how it would have been in the day. note i don't say how it must be restored . do owners of isettas , messerschmitts etc. need it ? certainly recent chat on the forum has dug up detail on Treinkel wheels , trim etc. that is not archived anywhere else. 

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »
The photo register is not restricted to jpg files.  Whole accounts of restorations can be accommodated.
The principle function would be to keep photos of vehicles in a logical register.

Other 'folders' could be created under each main vehicle folder for other uses - one big restoration project perhaps, although this is not the purpose of the photo record.

The free element of Dropbox is pretty big and the more people join, the more space you get but at some point / capacity, it becomes chargable.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »

The free element of Dropbox is pretty big and the more people join, the more space you get but at some point / capacity, it becomes chargable.

and then who pays for that charge and what happens to the files if the bill is not paid?

We sort of tried this already in a single thread called OUR CARS, but after a bit people lost interest.
I can install a GALLERY type of thing that is connected to the forum like the one here:
http://microcar.org/gallery
but after awhile, people lost interest in posting there as well.  Now people just upload their pics to whatever thing they find the most convenient for them.
plus everyone would need new accounts for that area as well.  Kind of a pain.

Currently RUMCARS incurs no charges for the domain name, web hosting or the forum because I am able to fold it into my existing account that is paid by other things.
Also- there is currently no actual limitation on the number of files that can be hosted on this site.
Just as an "Off Topic Lounge" was created, it would be trivial to create another separate area with different permissions than the forum area.
Anyone could start a "new" topic documenting anything they wish, with no one else able to add to it but the original person that created the "topic"  (I'm pretty sure that will work that way)
In other words: Read only for everyone except the creator of that specific section.

I'm not saying that DropBox is a bad idea, but it is another thing people have to remember passwords for and for someone to maintain.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »
Don't worry about the money Jim.  If we do fill up our quota, I can pay for extra through my business.

Chris has uploaded four photos and I have moved a couple of them around.  It seems to work.

I have sent you an invite to the shared folders and created a trial  folder for you to play with.

These are the similar registers of photos that I quite like - but they are websites.

I like Denis’ site

http://www.microcarfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=14&Itemid=26

And there is a good record in photos of mopeds.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/gallery/galindex.html

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »
thanks, all I had access to was the FLIPPO the clown video file.  (update: apparently not added by you, I forget that I was already signed up for DropBox)
is that all there is at the moment?  update: never mind about that.

also- DropBox wants me to install something on my computer, there is no way I am allowing that.

never mind - I had to sign in and THEN re-click the invitation link.
there is a bunch of stuff on there, but it is like viewing files on your computer.

thumbnails of pics with names like 228881_143518915733050_1000...3165_n.jpg
????
if people are going to upload files and folders, renaming them would be useful.
That being said, a number of folders have already been created that are properly labeled and pretty easy to navigate.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:39:52 PM by JimJanecek »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »
Millions of people use Dropbox Jim.  You have to install it on your computer to be able to use the system.  I am very careful with any software but Dropbox has never caused me a problem I have it on six computers and my blackberry.D
Do some personal research on it first if you are worried.

I work for a company whose Computer system is atomic bomb proof.  You are lucky if you can get an email in at all, let alone one wirth an attachment.  They are both paid up and free users of Dropbox throughout the company.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:43:00 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
I'm not worried about anything because I am not installing anything on my computer to use DropBox.
If that is a condition for using it, count me out.  Others can do what they want.

Also- am I correct in assuming that outside of those invited to view a certain section, all these images and files are completely off-limits and invisible to the rest of the world?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
Jim. 

To use Dropbox you have to install dropbox.
The images are only available to those who are invited to share them.
There are two types of share.

1. shares just particular files - the receipiant does not have to install dropbox
2. shares the folder and tree -

https://www.dropbox.com/help/274/en

1. Share a link to files and folders

Make a link to files or folders in your Dropbox and quickly share your photos, docs, presentations, and videos with friends and colleagues - even if they don't have Dropbox.
Friends and family who use the link can preview the files and folders through their browser.

2. Shared folders

Share a folder in your Dropbox with other Dropbox users and any files or folders in the shared folder are instantly synced with other members. If you change anything in that shared folder, the other members of the folder see that change in moments. It's a great solution to working together on large projects, sharing important family documents, or any other collaborative effort.

Note that the person providing the share option can control whether the recipient is allowed to share with others.  There are more options to choose from if necessary.

I think it is a benefit to keep the register off limits to the world and only accessible by Rumcars associates initially. The database of photos could be released to the world via website later.