Author Topic: It wont start!  (Read 10197 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: It wont start!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
Root tells me Greeves were primarily I.C. manufacturers, so should you be using that, Bob.

Dare I mention Caustic Soda. A mean cleaner but get it wrong and you have no carb left! Also its effect is dependant on the alloy mix and cheapo stuff is quite interesting. Like salt on a slug.

The challenge is normally to get rid of the glaze. I find petrol alone not to effective. With some agitation it will clear but it often needs a bit of a nudge. The problem with a really clean carb is it then corrodes so I prefer mine to be a bit oily. In some bubble installations not a great problem as they are self basting anyway.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
Worry not my friends, SUCCESS ar last, I wandered into the workshop this morning and had a look with fresh eyes, last night I was cold and tired. It suddenly occured to me that in my temporary set up the condenser was not earthed! What tricked me was that it was sparking last night but once the condenser was earthed the spark was more solid and with the first spin it was away and deafened me in the process. Its always something silly isnt it!  Now to make a silencer!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
When you get mine on saturday morning you can try it for me . Tune it up for me eh .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
Will do, and it will be on ebay by Saturday night! :D :D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
Root tells me Greeves were primarily I.C. manufacturers, so should you be using that, Bob.

Dare I mention Caustic Soda. A mean cleaner but get it wrong and you have no carb left! Also its effect is dependant on the alloy mix and cheapo stuff is quite interesting. Like salt on a slug.

The challenge is normally to get rid of the glaze. I find petrol alone not to effective. With some agitation it will clear but it often needs a bit of a nudge. The problem with a really clean carb is it then corrodes so I prefer mine to be a bit oily. In some bubble installations not a great problem as they are self basting anyway.

Greeves also made great trials bikes and roadster for that matter. I love the leading link forks.
AC also made Crriages but I wouldnt say no to a free Cobra! ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
Best nip off to your local injin restaurant- ice cold cobra with your balti mmmm will keep an eye on ebay bob  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
Not sure about the petite but vernons invacar and gordon have leading links bob I can see you getting one one day bob

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
My friend Steve Ralling has a Greeves - attached photo.  His dad was a Director at Greeves.
They made some fantastic bikes and developed a new 380cc for the authorities (not sure which one) to a demanding spec.  They changed their mind and bought Suzuki instead.  The rest is history.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:18:59 AM by Isetta_Owner »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »
You can see me getting one? I have already owned two, One I exported as far away as possible , the other I broke for parts for proper microcars! Best thing for them really! :D :D

That one is a bit too late for me Barry. I prefer the more classic look of this roadster.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
Leading Link Forks? Sounds more like a nudge, nudge, wink, wink for the multi pronged. Personally I prefer Leading Link Sausages and it shows. Ooo err, missus!

My mate was a Director at BMC, Cowley. He worked in the car park. He was fired for often having a rest and was history! OK your chum is better than mine!

From the mundane contracts do the interesting machines grow. You cannot have Cobra without the IC etc. to fund it. Greeves was perhaps the same. There are many other cases. Thank goodness for that, though, as we would be short of interesting toys. Then I think, is this sort of thing still going on. Not so much? If so another advantage to being older.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »
Im fine with that so long as its me that get the Cobra and you the IC's. :D

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
I decided to clean the Bianchi carb with the lemon juice trick I mentionned earlier, you can see how well it works!

I have to say that I only had half the amount of lemon juice needed, we ran out ;)

I also decided to put a bit of washing up liquid, because one website said that, and I reccomend you dont... You can only boil it on low, it works a lot better on high, but with soap it foams up and boils over, so don't use soap!

Anyway, here are the images!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
more...

After the lemon juice treatment,m its covered in some sort of black stuff. I just used some "truck wash" stuff we have (called engine degreaser, but its actually very concentrated degreasing soap!), and very fine wire wool. Took maybe 10 minutes to "polish" it, but I did take my time, and the outside never really has to look that good anyway, its just that you see it on the Bianchi :)
Mopeds:

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
Sorry for the 3 posts, but imited to 4 pics per post!

Last ones :)
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
It looks good! Does it remove internal glaze though? I'm no chemist but lemon juice is acid, washing up liquid is I think alkali, put them together and they cancel each other out. That Carb looks identical to the one on my Motobi.