Author Topic: big box under the xmas tree 1958 - Opperman Unicar  (Read 13100 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
big box under the xmas tree 1958 - Opperman Unicar
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »
wish this was under my tree this year
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:18:45 AM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: big box under the xmas tree 1958
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
Opperman Unicar? You are welcome to one.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09:55 AM »
come on then Bob what on earth is wrong with this one then ? fibreglass 328cc excelsior engine and BRITISH > are you a racist ? tell us . is there ANY British designed microcar of the 50s/60s ? that you do like ?

http://www.handlewithfun.com/lot-details.cfm?SaleCode=BW13&CarID=r255

i certainly wouldn't mind this one and suspect this could fetch a fair bit - nice little slideshow

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:24:50 AM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: big box under the xmas tree 1958 - Opperman Unicar
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »
I would be happy enough to have one, but not enough time for a kit version!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
I'm sure Bob loves the Nobe, but its just a german car in disguise ;)

I love the Unicars. They are weird, but great!

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »
Hi mate I have one for you, but not till I get home - same issue kit nobel. I think bob likes german cars in disguise  ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:13:29 AM by lightweight dickie »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
come on then Bob what on earth is wrong with this one then ? fibreglass 328cc excelsior engine and BRITISH > are you a racist ? tell us . is there ANY British designed microcar of the 50s/60s ? that you do like ?

http://www.handlewithfun.com/lot-details.cfm?SaleCode=BW13&CarID=r255

i certainly wouldn't mind this one and suspect this could fetch a fair bit - nice little slideshow

I thought I would like Unicars but having seen a couple in the flesh they just didnt appeal.
What DO I like, I thought you knew, mainly bubbley shaped cars like Avolettes, some Brutches, bubble window Isettas, Pear drop, Tourette, if not bubbly then aero looking like Kaiser, Inter, many of the French 1950's cars like Rolux, Atlas, Rovin etc, some of the Morgan based kits like Triking. British cars? Frisky, Bond C and D, Tourette .  The kind of thing I dont like are lumpy cars lacking style like Loyds, Gordons, ect. What I would like as a gift arriving on my door step I think would be a Rolux Baby, as Arfer Mullard once sung to Hilder Baker, "Your the one dat I want, Ooo Ooo Ooo"  :D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »
Well agreed no bad ones there , perhaps you would have included the scootacar. I like the others on a historical front - the gordon is creating quite a lot of local interest.lloyds I know little of but they sold in 10s of thousands in the day , a bit too normal for me .         Marcus - I don't think a kit of brand new parts would have been too challenging . I have somewhere the instructions for the unicar- all I need to do is find the unassembled parts.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »
I like the fact that the scootacar is a unique British attempt at a Bubble car but I think the styling is ungamely. I can understand local historic interest and also investment but the cars I own I have bought because they please my eye.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
On the whole German and French micro car design and styling was better than British and I prefer four strokes to two. (Ooo, matron!)
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
Also one for you later marcus, kit for christmas morning  1958 ,with bsa 650 4 stroke engine built by boxing day

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »
if you do find  one under your tree and , like bob, you don't want it please let me know . always great to get a kit at christmas . what a treat to get a full size one in a crate  :)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »
more plans too big for one post

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
Pity the Opperman Punicar, wheel drums to weak to be a sports car. Indeed not helped by the lack off diff on the narrow rear axle. Roulette handling and the joys of Zanyish Bandai 322cc or Calapsior 328cc depending on construction method. Another brave try to run over Blofeld's cat, there, by Mr Bond.

The Scootacar is the pick of the field, all be it with the style of a speeding bogey, its a flick of the finger in front. Yet the earlier Bonds have something in the looks department the eccentricity of design is an acquired taste. The more developed later cars lost the styling to become square shaped and I agree with Bob that the blimp/bollide shapes are much easier on the eye. The British seem not to have a natural eye to form with vehicles in the main. When they do very often the content is then substandard. Thus the imported Isetta, imagined in Italy, scrubbed up to scratch in Germany and lent to Brighton become the most successful 'British' bubblecar. All rather describing our motoring manufacturing over the last five decades in a microcosm.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
agreed agreed - but my point was the excitement of getting a kit in a crate on christmas morning . you boring old sods have you forgotten fun christmas presents and making kits . if you get anything more fun in your stocking good luck to you .
don't over analyse it - imagine it  :)