Author Topic: big box under the xmas tree 1958 - Opperman Unicar  (Read 13108 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: big box under the xmas tree 1958 - Opperman Unicar
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »
The point of Chrimbo presents with instructions is to ignore the instructions and do it wrong. Get frustrated and leave it till after New Year and then either leave it laying about or do it properly over the next few days, weeks, months depending on degree of difficulty. On this basis our family were pretty certain one present we would not get would be Airfix etc. kits. This was because we used to do them with some care. Chrimbo was for additional Meccano, Leggo or other more generalized tooling, materials for construction. I recall a transparent clock kit you could see the workings of. A Heathkit radio. Philips electrical sets. The last two are probably long extinct. One year my Uncle gave me a Maplins catalogue instead of a card when they were mail order parts and kits from Essex? Oh to be young again with all those things to make and learn about. Stuff football.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
now your talking ! with 4 boys we usually reckoned to have enough bits left over to make something else
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »
My Leggo colour was yellow. It stopped fights. My sister had little interest in Meccano though, so that was shared between two. We had a lot of it, much the early thicker gauge stuff from Grandfolks and family, as we were the only boys in the generation, other than Cousin Andrew (His father was the one who had a Jarc in Banstead) who was older and a bit of a genius, already making computers out of scrap bits etc at 12 in 1970. His uncle Dick was employed as an inventor by Marconi. Probably the source of parts. Clever family. It was expected that boys made stuff in our family.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 10:47:43 PM »
would that stack of crates to the left be a stack of excelsior 328cc engines that santas little helpers are getting ready for me ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »
Certainly look like engine crates!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
come on then you injin ears whats going on on the workbenches ?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »
Who are you calling enjin ears?!  Well they could contain engines for the Unicar but if they do I think they have over ordered! As Oppermans were tractor manifacturers they could equally contain small tractor engines.

Great picture by the way. I dont know where you keep finding them!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:24:31 AM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
i have a few of these these pics from one article ages ago - they were a great series of photo's  ( see pub meet , tourette buck etc ) so as i have just had my first lesson in cropping i will try a few more .
trying to find something to keep us interested  go with the flow - nothing will please us all  :)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
surely not an engine for one of these -but  even a real one of these could be fun for christmas - The Opperman other three wheeler

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »