Author Topic: Electric fuel valves on microcars  (Read 7810 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Electric fuel valves on microcars
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »
I was thinking of using 12 volt fuel valves on my microcars connectred to the ignition switch. The idea it to solve the problem of me forgetting to turn off the tap! Something I do a lot. Has anyone done this? If so which product did you use? Pro's and cons? I intend to retain the old fuel tap to keep use of the reserve tank.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Electric fuel valves on microcars
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
i do know that keith price's Bond D that we borrowed for a week had such a device and seemed to work admirably - no idea of make . myself , i have rarely ever turned the fuel off in any vehicle i have owned - much horror ! :o never had a problem 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
Many, if not all, German cars have to have an automatic off switch on the fuel system. Tiger does, que big fuss. NSU used a small solenoid which operated a plunger. Bloody nuisance as they used to fail and muck up the mix on my TT so I binned them. Naught wrong with a tap but these valves will still exist. Do not modern cars have such a thing up there backsides to cut of the fuel in an accident.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
Some work on inertia, some cut off power to the pump. I need a solaniod type that cuts off flow in the fuel line. I'm checking out boat ones now.

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
Motorcycles with gravity-feed fuel tanks and carburettors use/used vacuum-operated fuel taps so that starting (or just turning over) the motor created enough inlet vacuum to open the fuel tap.  A drilling in the carburettor allowed a small hose to connect the fuel tap and the inlet.

Most had other positions such as reserve (to draw fuel from lower down the tank) and prime (which bypassed the vacuum section and just turned the tap on).

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
Thanks Andrew. I know, I drove a Bamby for a while [its amazing I'm still alive!] That had the vaccum valve from the Suzuki CS50 scooter that the engine came from. It worked fine. I dont think I want to be drilling any holes in my Villiers S25 carb though.
I know quite a few Schmitt owners use the electric valve and others besides. I was hoping that one of them would see this and could recommend a good brand and tell me where to get it from.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 03:42:49 PM »
while you are waiting for someone from the UK to respond, try looking for solenoid valves for nitrous systems (power boost, racing, etc). 
They are usually small, 12v, not very expensive and available on eBay.
Make sure you get one rated for FUEL.
Here is an example of one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390260385623

There is also a 3-port "fuel selector" valve that is used on RVs for switching fuel tanks. Not very expensive but you have to plug up one port so when you remove power, the fuel is not shunted out that port and all over the ground.
Here is one I have used:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=CRB22057_0364783990
it generally costs less than $25 USD

APEX was a brand of fuel valve that people used for a few years, but the supply appears to have dried up for some reason.
It was nice because it had a simple inlet and outlet and was fairly small.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
Many thanks Jim. I never thought of searching the racing/hotrod scene for one. I gave up with the marine line of enquiry, they all seem to specify for diesel fuel only. Its another lead.

I did find this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petrol-solenoid-shut-cut-off-valve-12V-autogas-conversions-liquid-air-/160939313645?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2578bb09ed

Do you think it would be suitable? Everything else I have found is either very expensive or Chinese.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:59:43 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »
I know quite a few Schmitt owners use the electric valve and others besides. I was hoping that one of them would see this and could recommend a good brand and tell me where to get it from.

Its on a Schmitt that is meant to go faster, in all probably. If so that is secret information and you need to join the chapel and be initiated.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »
Never a truer word spoken in jest! When I was a Schmitter I found the MEC very friendly and helpfull. A handfull of MOC guys were also a great help, ones like Mark Snow, Maurice Rogers, Mick Morton, plus others but although I was a member of both clubs the MOC was very clicky and as you say, if not in the click you were not entitled to certain info. I'm hoping it may have changed since I left.  Forgot to mention Helga Bonner, a lovely lady and much missed.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 01:24:26 AM »
Thoughts with Mick Morton, who I understand is seriously ill.

ukblitz

• Occasional
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
An Isetta owner local to me has a electric fuel valve fitted to his Isetta, works very well im told and was taken from a standard car, will have a chat with him to try and find out which car it was from, the dripping fuel on a Bing carb can be dangerous as I have found out previously.
Kp  :)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Thanks for that. I still plan to fit one in the spring. Yes, let me know please what you find out. Thanks.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
Thanks for that. I still plan to fit one in the spring. Yes, let me know please what you find out. Thanks.

Stop Press - Bob to replace Bing with a Boing.

ukblitz

• Occasional
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:31 PM »
Hiya
What about rather than the fuel valve option, just replacing Bing for a Dellorto 22mm, no leaky float chamber and easy to find, saw an isetta fitted with one at the Uk national in Wiltshire 2011,owner said it ran great and when I got my Heinkel Ireland it came with one fitted, I think it maybe the future as they also fit them to Messerschmitts.
It could be the future!  ::)