Author Topic: Electric fuel valves on microcars  (Read 7772 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Electric fuel valves on microcars
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »
Dear Bob

All UK readers of Rumcar News received a Car Builder Solutions catalogue with their last issue of Rumcar News. On page 51 they show a fuel shut off valve for 8 mm and 10 mm hose sizes   Cost for the small bore is £58 + vat
Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

On page 52 they are selling Fuel Swirl pots to prevent surges or starvation when cornering, breeaking or accelerating hard. A must for all Purton Specials.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »
Thanks. I did see the valves in the CBS catalogue as well as other places but they seem a tad expensive for what they are. There are some cheap ones out there from China but as Al says, then you start to think about if they will actually work for very long. I'm hoping to find something from a modern car, I'm in no hurry.
My Bing doesnt actually leak, I was only thinking of fitting the electric valve because I want to use one on my project car for a completely diferent reason and if that worked out ok was then going to use one on the Isetta as well to save me the bother of wondering if I had turned it off or not. I use the Isetta a lot locally in the summer and it would be nice to be able to treat it more like a normal car.
Antisurge bowl? I will have to have a look at that, My Isetta does suffer from starvation on roundabouts sometimes.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
Hiya
What about rather than the fuel valve option, just replacing Bing for a Dellorto 22mm, no leaky float chamber and easy to find, saw an isetta fitted with one at the Uk national in Wiltshire 2011,owner said it ran great and when I got my Heinkel Ireland it came with one fitted, I think it maybe the future as they also fit them to Messerschmitts.
It could be the future!  ::)

It is the future, but.... With the Messerschmitt we have had a car on a rolling road so as to set up the car with the correct jetting. So there is a tested solution for the Schmitt and it has demonstrated it works in use against standard cars of merit. As far as I know neither Isetta or Trienkel has been put onto a rolling road to optimize performance and with attention to using the correct venturi for various options. Until that is done all is guess work.

To illustrate I had a Goggo 300cc running a 250cc top end after a major failure at Story. This, two up with remains of dead engine and camping luggage managed to catch and pass several Dellorto carb Treinkels up hill after giving them a pretty good start. Amazing for the Goggo and shows their abilities. A Goggo 300 has about the same performance as a Schmitt. A well prepared Treinkel should leave a Schmitt for dead on a hill. I question if the 'good running' carbs were as good as the could have been. Now I am happy to accept that a Trienkel Bing is a nasty bit of design but less so for an Isetta. So I understand why folk do this mod. Why not go that bit further and spend about £600 of club funds to get the data to bring forth the maximum available from this modification for all? Ian Frankland has all the kit available. Then the clubs can sell a modification kit that is known to work for around £140/£160 on installation and all win.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
Who is Serge Bowl and why are we against him?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
Dear Bob

I think Thumper just saw the Mc D fast food outlet and felt hungry. Keep away from big roundabouts on the A12!!!

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »
I was thinking along similar lines myself chris , but knowing bob he probably keeps thumper on a vegetarian diet , like his moped  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
Is it Mc D that is offering a small Boar for £58 plus VAT. Served on a stick with fries? Better than France!