Author Topic: 1920 three wheeler - The Tankette  (Read 2634 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
1920 three wheeler - The Tankette
« on: December 24, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
can anyone find a picture of this car . 2 3/4 h.p. 2 stroke engine with Burman gearbox driving the single rear wheel . The front wheels pushed in somehow on telescopic tubes in order to fit through a passage or doorway - now where have i heard of that idea much later on ? i do have a pcture here of the chassis but no bodywork
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: 1920 three wheeler - The Tankette
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »
I'm not sure it had much of a body. Although I couldn't find any pictures other than the one in the Georgano book, assuming it's the same vehicle mentioned in a Gamages Motor Cycles Etc. ad in 1919, it was described as The Tankette Super Motor Scooter, which implies a sort of Pashley-like trike.

A bit more research got this snippet from The Sketch, also from 1919.

The " Tankette " is a super-scooter with a seat two feet above the platform, pleasantly encased, and suitable to either sex, with a 3-h.p. two-stroke engine which will take you to Brighton and back on a single gallon of petrol at the speed of your own choice from one to thirty-five miles per hour, a most natty affair with two ducky little side wheels to prop you up in traffic, while your engine bobs on playfully, and a double-tyred back-wheel to prevent you from skidding into a motor-'bus or a ditch according to whether your environment be urban or rural. To and from the House of Lords or your ofiioe, according to the station to which Providence has called you ; a run in the country a week-end on your own, or in good company—-what better? No household, obviously, should be without several-—including at least one for the priceless general who commands the establishment and such a huge honorarium in these days days. - And the price ? Ah, that is the maker's little secret—as too frequently the case in these days. Iet us pray that he lay it on light for once !

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:36:54 AM »
well i thank you for that new info. ( too me ) but i do find at a glance that the chassis is very Scootacar like - dont you ? coincidence ? these pics were current at the time i presume .
" The Tankette was a curious little 3-wheeler made to catch the tail end of the cyclecar boom. powered by a 2 3/4hp single cylinder , 2 stroke Union engine , drive was transmitted by a Burman two-speed gearbox and chain to the double rear wheel .The chassis, if such it could be called,consisted of a frame built up with flat steel strips on either side of ash members, bolted together and sprung on quarter elliptics fixed rigidly for and aft .
The front axle consisted of concentric steel tubes which enabled the wheels to be pushed inwards so that the car could pass through a 3ft doorway into the owners home. It appears that potential buyers did not appreciate the advantages of garaging the car in the front room,and few were sold. "
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:11:33 AM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
i think if anyone were to revisit this Tankette " super scooter " design nearly 40 years later - late 50's - he would find that a  2 stroke engine in unit with gearbox was available , therefore moving the engine nearer the rear wheel than before . he would logically still want the gravity feed petrol tank to be over the engine so that also moved to the rear. also by now off the shelf shock absorbers were available so 1/4 elliptics were outdated .by now small fat scooter wheels and tyres would also be available no longer needing the twin rear wheels . he would also find that there had been no great interest in cars that could fit through a doorway , Tankette,Reyonnah , Larmar so he would drop that requirement . the now fashionable Messerschmitt handlebar might catch the publics eye .

in fact he might alter the design from the the Tankette via a few logical steps to - The SCOOTACAR below  :)

COMPARE AND CONTRAST
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:02:45 AM by lightweight dickie »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
The Scootacar. Designed to get the back door in rather than fit through the hole left like a Larmar. A whole new concept on driving for the 'little man'. Indeed did it lead to the popularity in conservatories which are really just over inflated Scootacars?

They say there are no new ideas in automotive design after the war. So yes there is a bit of convergent engineering design coming in there for sure.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs