Author Topic: Bubbles on the Box! The cars of Andy Carter  (Read 15910 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Bubbles on the Box! The cars of Andy Carter
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
 A little Dicky Bird (no, not that one!) tells me that the cars of Andy Carter will be plastered all over our TV screens once again at 4.30pm tomorrow (Wednesday, 9th January) on BBC1 as Thomas Plant & Phillip Serrell invade Nottingham in "Antique Road Trip". By all accounts they poke around most things & takes the Messerschmitt for a trot after the Triumph Stag blows up on arrival.

N.B, Non-fans of Peels; fret ye not. Apparently the film crew as good as ignored the P50...    :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01py78y

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Re: Bubbles on the Box! The cars of Andy Carter
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
A little Dicky  N.B, Non-fans of Peels; fret ye not. Apparently the film crew as good as ignored the P50...    :o

Does Dickie have inside information from the BBC   ::)

What no Peels, hardly worth watching then......
Great timing as always by Andy, wonder if he plugs the Weiner auction

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:47:30 PM »
being an antiques show they could hardly focus on a modern replica could they ? they would end up looking a little silly
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »
It wouldnt be unusual Richard, there is a percentage of items those "expert" auctioneers buy on that show that are as wrong as a nine bob note . One of Andys Peels would be in keeping with the tradition of them looking a bit silly. :D   

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
All the best TV shows are shown when the workers cannot see them. Enjoy Eastriddings Hollyhospital soaps, as your the guys paying for them, while the under and self employed can watch bubblecars and other far more interesting stuff in the afternoon. Fantastic.

Philip Serrall is a classic car enthusiast. Not sure about the other guy. So there should be some intelligent feedback. Well done Andy, then it helps if you have cars about that actually function! Funnily enough went past Serrall's base on the way into Wales yesterday to collect a real rarity with chum.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
The nine Bob note. Featuring the smiling face of you know who in regal pose. I like it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
I would imagine a real nine Bob note would be rather valuable.

Funny enough I was in wildest Wales picking up a car for someone on Monday, is this where all the rare microcars are to be found now?

The irony is that I'm underemployed and in a position to watch such programs as this DUE to programs like this!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
i was in wales also on monday - i did not find a microcar ! unbelievably i am off again still trying to recover from new year flu ! since snowdonia mountains my ears are all funny and i am all dizzy/ disorientated feel awful , particularly since i didn't find a car in wales - am i the only one ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
I would imagine a real nine Bob note would be rather valuable.

Funny enough I was in wildest Wales picking up a car for someone on Monday, is this where all the rare microcars are to be found now?

The irony is that I'm underemployed and in a position to watch such programs as this DUE to programs like this!

Judging by the number of times their loan classic cars go phut you might be better employed putting them together! I fail to understand the antiques trade now. Junk is worth money but something that took huge skill and taste to create seems, in comparison, worthless. To the extent a new nasty hardwood furniture set is more expensive than a beautiful period set made to last more than a lifetime. Because it is brown, apparently, it is of no great value. Bonkers. Use taste, buy quality and buy once. Fashion does not enter into it. Funnily enough the market tends to catch up to you in the end. Should I mention Messerschmitts here?

Not sure about Wales as a source of vehicles as most stuff I have ever had out of there has been in a poor state for one reason or another. However it is a land of sheds and of retirees with much it off the beaten track. A lot of Welsh are also of a mechanical bent and do like to have a project or two about . They also seem reluctant disposers of junk. So for a countryside and population density lower than average perhaps they do yield a good a few nuggets. On the other hand they can be really tough to negotiate with and there have been, and are, vehicles unavailable to English, especially Tory types. Frustrating but at least they stand up for themselves, like , say, the French countryman will against Parisians. I like a good awkward B as I am one myself.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
i was in wales also on monday - i did not find a microcar ! unbelievably i am off again still trying to recover from new year flu ! since snowdonia mountains my ears are all funny and i am all dizzy/ disorientated feel awful , particularly since i didn't find a car in wales - am i the only one ?

Fresh out of Micros in Snowdonia, its to lumpy. Try Anglesey.......can you speak Welsh. A retail opportunity if it is still there. There is a Larmar seat there too. Mind you a hot toddy and Bedfordshire sounds better for flu.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
have no use for an awkward B - my awkward A is bad enough. yes Anglesey was still there , i could see bits of it anyway so assume the rest was as well. the straits weren't - they were all wiggly  :)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »
Just watched the prog, not a bad bit of PR for the microcar world. Liked the story about Andy driving over his future wife's foot!

In Andy's line up I spotted my old Scootacar! Wondered where that went, now I know.

Anyone spot any mistakes? At one stage someone pointed to the Isetta and said it was made in Europe where as the scoot was made in England, being a RHD of course we know that the Isetta was made in England too. A mere triffle, only boffins like us would notice such a thing.

Am I the only one to watch this?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
I watched it and enjoyed the Microcar piece.
Luckily I was able to fast forward through the beginning of the program which went on and on and on.
They made about two bob in the end at the auction - spent about £100 of juice in that old Triumph I should think.

Good to see the selection of Microcars and no mention of values.  Personally, I love the shape of the Scootercar.

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
Here's a direct link to the iPlayer for this program - sorry Jim and others, I bet it won't allow anyone from a URL outside the UK to watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01py78y/Antiques_Road_Trip_Series_6_Episode_3/

Andy Carter is on from 24:45 to 29:30 and there isn't much to see if you are already such a microcar fanatic that you know an Isetta door opens forward.....

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
watched and it was fine - well done andy . i think it said that the Peels were made in England - which of course they weren't - The Isle of Man isn't . wont ruin the subject but have a couple of things to say about a radio interview i gave in circa 1980 it was excruciating   :-[