Author Topic: villiers 9E and 11E blower cooled engines how do they differ ?  (Read 6818 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
villiers 9E and 11E blower cooled engines how do they differ ?
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »
i had previously thought that the 9E blower cooled engine had an aluminium cowl on the right of the engine , and the 11E a tin cowl on the left of the engine .sorry for being so simple but as i now understand that not to be correct how does one tell them apart visually - thanks 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Re: villiers 9E and 11E blower cooled engines how do they differ ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »
Off the top of my head :
The 11E has grey painted steel cooling cowls on both sides, not cast aluminium, has different gear ratios, has the fan on the clutch side keyed onto the end of the crank and not screwed on the dynastart.  Clutch covers are totally different. 
The usuable parts from an 11e engine which can be used on a 9e are : head, barrel and piston, dynastart, crank but it has to be cut down to removed the fan drive, clutch basket and plates.  The fan can be used on a 3T and the tin cowls on the later improved 9e as used in the Scootacar Mk11.  There are probably more smaller parts that can be used but a lot are scrap hence why Bond Spares used to have tons of aluminium casings and gears that no body wanted.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
thanks but still not sure . i was not aware that the 9E ended up with a one piece tin cowl . so this pic( villiers issue 6/62 ) is a 9E with fan on the left , as 11E , how then would this be distinguishable from an 11E ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:47:43 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
Ooo nice. New house, wallpaper of exploded diagrams of engines - hmm! No help on the topic though. Be interested in the answer for my Scootacar, which is alleged to have the wrong engine. If it has it was changed very early on.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
The 11E was built purely for the Invalid Carriage market which was a large customer for Villiers.  This engine basically evolved from the 9E.  The only significant difference between the final fan cooled 9e, as used in the Scootacar Mk11 and the 11e is the gear ratios.
So hwo do you tell the difference externally between an 11e and a late 9e, simple, the makers plate will state.

Alan, your Mk11 will have the correct engine fitted.  Most people describe the engine as an 11e because it looks like one. True, but its actually designated a 9E.  Both my Mk11s have this type of engine fitted and are factory original as per the original logbooks

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
so the engine i have without any outer casings , fan , cowling etc. - but with a longer shaft - could be 9E or 11E i cannot check without dismantling the gearbox . not as straightforward as it was first thought then.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »

Alan, your Mk11 will have the correct engine fitted.  Most people describe the engine as an 11e because it looks like one. True, but its actually designated a 9E.  Both my Mk11s have this type of engine fitted and are factory original as per the original logbooks

I am confidant it is correct. The car deserves to be returned to as original as possible. It has never been restored making this easier despite the vandalism. I confess that I will probably simply send the engine away to be done since this can be done at a reasonable price by an expert. I will happily rebuild the electrics, indeed I have already got a mint dynostart in a box waiting. Despite owning for a while I have yet to sit down and list what parts I need. Certainly it has no screens, lights or badging. Oh to be moved into my new shedding, It would be great to have a Mk 1 but I now take the view that more cars to keep will find me rather than the other way round. I have enough to keep me busy.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs