Author Topic: Villiers 9E Speedometer drive help needed  (Read 16994 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Villiers 9E Speedometer drive help needed
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
Ok. Looking inside the speedo drive on my 9e ithere is a straight slot cut in the part that rotates, I have never seen a cable end this shape, is there a small component missing do you think, that connects a square cable end to this slot?  Help please!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Villiers 9E Speedometer drive help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
will check my Gordon speedo drive when i can - next monday . on the Gordon i have a conventional square cable - but there is an intermediate piece converting it to a slot , i believe it was also used on Royal Enfield rev counters . i suspect you need this " adaptor" to the inner cable only  . i could post it to you to try out . goodness knows where i got the info  :-\
fairly sure this will be the answer - try a Royal Enfield dealer
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
Yes Bob, there should be a driving fork that slides into the end of the cable and locates into the slot in the speedo drive.
This part is easily lost when you remove the cable and it falls out.  I last bought one for a Scootacar from Speedy Cables.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »
Cheers guys, the forum is improving, we are getting tech'y questions AND answers now!

I'm guessing this part is steel or bronze, with a pattern I could churn one out. I will make enquires but if I can buy one I will take you up on your offer Richard.
Thanks Grant, I will try Speedy cables, so long as I dont have to speak to that miserable old goat there [He is probably the owner!]  The younger chap is far more amicable!

Speedo question, I have a Smiths speedo from an IC that looks like the one I need but disconnected the needle doesnt settle at zero, its at 10mph, any ideas whats wrong with it? When I turn it with a screw driver in the back it appears to respond but its rather stiff, maybe the grease inside has congealed. Any ideas? Or where can I get a Scootacar one from?
 Finaly , if I put oil in the gear box with no speedo cable fitted, will it leak out the drive hole?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:17:39 PM by Bob Purton »

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
Oil should not leak out the gearbox from the speedodrive as there should be an O ring within to prevent this happening.
Sounds like the speedo needs a good clean and some lubrication due to lack of use.  The correct Smiths speedo you require is
the early type as fitted to many ICs and not the later one fitted to the Scootacar and Frisky etc with the broader needle and flat edge chrome bezel, very sad that I know this  :P
Ray Dilks is doing exactly the same with his Frisky speedo that's not had use for many years and following a good clean is now functioning as it should.
In you line of work Bob, you should have no problem opening up the speedo head and giving it a good clean

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
Thanks Grant, sad but usefull!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Grant, I have freed up the speedo and it appears to work well now with an electric drill in the back of it. I'm not turning back the mileometer officer, honest!! ;D

Just to clarify what you said about the early and later types, I have the one with the bezel that has a pointed profile not a flat one, is that the earier type? Cheers, Bob

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
it actually doesn't help at all but as bob likes it when we get all techy i've added some diagrams from the LARGE originals i bought recently 24" x  36" - have several covering 9E and 2T / 3T
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
cant post them" the uploader folder is full contact an administrator" this happened 2 days ago when i tried to post pics . is it the forum or me ?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »
funnily enough just found this old bit of RUM on google

http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=1716.0;wap2

would the part be what villiers services call a spade - mine looks spade like - ring them up bearing in mind the fearsome price i paid for a cable recently at speedycables
http://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_63_65
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:47:26 PM by lightweight dickie »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:52:48 PM »
I tried loading up some pics and got the same thing so its the site. Would you care to divulge what the cable cost you Richard? It may decide me as to wheather to bother with a working speedo or not. This project is on a strict budget.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
it was on the forum :

http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=2977.0
ok so maybe not a fortune but if villiers can do them at £15 + £2 for the spade i would try them first , or just the spade from speedy ?  suspect villiers from stock so returnable if incorrect . speedy would be made to order too.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
this is what i was trying to post bits of my large wallcharts

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
Hmmm. No sign of an O ring in there Grant. Are you sure it doesnt go in with the cable?

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
Just to clarify what you said about the early and later types, I have the one with the bezel that has a pointed profile not a flat one, is that the earlier type? Cheers, Bob
Yes, sounds like you have the earlier type with the profiled bezel and thinner more elegant needle which dates from pre 1958.
In the barrel of the speedo drive there should be a flat profiled O ring which prevents oil leakage from the gearbox.  The speedo drive in a 9E is at the lowest point so potentially you could loose all your oil if it leaked.  There is definitely not a seal in the cable, it locates on the very fine brass threads of the speedodrive.