Author Topic: Manresa Microcar Rally 2013  (Read 7031 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Manresa Microcar Rally 2013
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »
Dear Microcar Rally fans

This year on 8 and 9 June there will be the world Famous Manresa Microcar Rally, held just north of Barcelona in Spain. It is organised by the Classic Motor Club del Barges and always has lots of PTV and Biscuter models on display. One of the great microcar rallies.

I am thinking of organising a 4 day trip to the rally, flying out on the friday (easyjet) and train up to Manresa from Barcelona. Hotel in Manresa for 3 nights and fly home on the monday. We could make it 5 days if people want to spend longer in Barcelona or Manresa.

I did the trip last year so I know where I am going and who is who.

Would anybody like to come along ? please email me on chris@rumcars.org.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Re: Manresa Microcar Rally 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
Hello Chris and others. We'll be going to Manressa this year and was wondering if anyone from the UK would be going. If any drivers are planning the trip, they are more than welcome to pass our place en route ( near Toulouse ) and follow us to the event. It's about 200 miles from here. We have a superb route we follow with stunning scenery. The route we take is as follows : From Montrejeau in France we head south on the N125. This changes to the N230 when it crosses the Spanish border. Follow this to Vielha is Spain. Then pass through the Vielha tunnel. Follow the N230. Then take the C1311 for Tremp. Then the C1412 to Calaf. Then it's the C25 to Manressa.  The Google map says just over 4 hours driving. But we enjoy the trip and take a little longer. If someone wants to attend without the long drive from UK, we are happy to pick people up from Toulouse airport and they can borrow one of our normal cars or even a micro if you're capable.      regards,   Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
Dear Nick and friends

I have been doing some rough costings to see what would be possible, and these are my rough costings. Drive to Ports mouth and get the boat to Bilbao and drive across Northern spain via Zaragoza  in a car that can do 75 mpg will cost about £950. To drive to Dover and take a short ferry and then drive down via Limoges and Toulouse and see Nick Poll will cost about £630. To fly down to Barcelona on Easyjet and take the train up to manrisa will cost between £200 and £400 depending upon when you booked. and to take the overnight train from London to Barcelona and then a train up to Manresa could cost between £140 and £300 depending upon sleeping accomodation availability from Paris to Barcelona.

Once in Manresa accomodation for a hotel in the city could be £70 per night, or out of town (if you have a car) £60 per night, or sharing an appartment for 4 for 3 nights could cost approx £40 per person per night.

So you can see that overnight train there and back plus a shared appartment could be as low as £260, but more realistically £510. while the fly and train would be about the same price. The idea of traveling all across France or northern Spain could be a better option if you were going to make it a two week driving holiday, as you could avoid a lot of the french road tolls by using the N roads. and visit people and places on the way. Having spent two weeks driving through France on N roads, It is much more interesting than it sounds, but it is exhausting if you are on your own. A co driver is to be recommended.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

For me I would favour the fly and train option with a shared appartment for 3 days. Arrive on the Friday and return on the Monday. The drive over the mountains in a Bentley 3 litre would be magnificent.

Perhaps I should do a costing for flights to Toulouse!!!

Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:26:37 PM »
Dear Nick

It looks like the flights to Toulouse are cheaper than to Barcelona by about £50 return, So could be a real bargain combined with your suggestion about coming over the border by the back roads. Having said that what would the alchohol test kits and vehicle insurance cost?

Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
I have been speaking with Nick, and it appears that Nick and his wife Anna will be taking two normal cars to Manresa, and so will have a few spare seats there and back. They would be happy for anybody who flyes into Toulouse to pay/share the cost of the fuel there and back. Nick and Anna will be camping, so whoever they give a lift to will have to sort out their own accommodation in Manresa.

I think this offer is both very generous and a great opportunity to do the fantastic drive over the mountains to get to one of the great European microcar rallies. Fligths to Toulouse are cheaper than to Barcelona, but not as frequent. And the later you book the more expensive the flights will become.

If anybody wants to take up Nicks offer, I suggest they contact Nick ASAP, as the seats will be allocated on a first come first serve basis.

You will have to book your own flights and accomodation, which nowadays is no problem.

If you choose to go I know you will enjoy every moment.

Chris Thomas

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »
As Chris says, My wife Ant & I will be taking two normal cars. One with a trailer with a microcar on and the other towing our Eriba Puck caravan. If anyone wants to join us, I am happy to pick you up from Toulouse airport and drop you back there at just the cost of the fuel. ( the airport is about sixty miles away). We have plenty of space for people to stay here thursday night at no cost. Just chip in a bit for the food. On friday we'll set of for Manressa. It's about 200 miles and the fuel cost can be shared between us. The route is stunning. At Manressa you will need to sort out your own hotel, as we will be in the caravan. While Ant & I will be doing the rally in our Tiger you can use our normal car to follow the group. It costs nothing to ad people on our insurance for a few days. So all in all, a cheap holiday. On monday we can drop you back to Toulouse airport.             regards, Nick.   
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Dear Nick and Ant

Public apology for getting Ant's name wrong. Double slap wrist. If there is one thing an editor must never do is to get somebodys name wrong or spell it incorrectly.

I will go back and sit in the corner with my pointed hat on ( those were the days when teachers realy knew how to humiliate you)

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »
If you got the names wrong and the date and country would that induce some Bavarian dancing? They have pointy felt hats but I am less sure about leather shorts. What happens if you buzz a wasps nest at a load of Bavarian dancers?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
Quite a lot of thigh slapping I would imagine Al.
I'm just relieved that Nick is still married to Ant and not some Anna woman!

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Just to confuse you more, Ant is known as Anna in France. She thinks it's a bit more normal I guess. She's called Ant in the bubble car world. Ant is short for Antje which is an old Dutch name.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »
Ah that explains it. I did at one time wonder if she was a fan of a certain Reliant three wheeled truck.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
I have been sent a reminder by our old friend Antoni Tachó, that the applications to attend the International Microcar Rally in Manresa this year closes on 6 May. This is for entrants with a microcar.

Of course they would love to see as many visitors as possible attend the grand parade in the centre of the town on Sunday 9 June.

I understand that as yet nobody has taken up Nick Polls kind offer of a lift over the mountains to get to Manresa.

Bearing in mind this event is every 2 years, get there while you can.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News