Author Topic: number plates type and bracketry ?  (Read 8502 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
number plates type and bracketry ?
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
i know i am not ready yet but just pondering  ;) the front of the Bruetsch does not lend itself to a number plate . which type and arrangement would suit best ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: number plates type and bracketry ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:22:27 PM »
this didn't come up - oh and dont forget any leads on making the screen surround gratefully received
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
the rear is incorrect on mine and no pics of the correct arrangement survive so i shall copy his earlier car - it will need to curve so pressed ally the job so the front i guess will have to match
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:26:34 PM by richard »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »
You could always paint it on like many period race cars. Are there any legal requirements on height? As the front seems awfully low.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
i did wonder about painting or even sticker letters hmmmm but would that look any better ? and where ? on the rise of the wing ? do you mean in a square, oblong or ? previously someone had replaced the faux grill , but i dont really want to - would this be best ?

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »
I would use 'mounting tape' - double-sided sticky foam tape -  just like they use for sticking number plates on cars today.

A couple of shaped wooden blocks would be needed behind the plate to get it to stand roughly vertical, with mounting tape between the blocks and body and again between the blocks and plate.  The blocks shouldn't be visible behind the plate.

And I doubt any policeman knows the Construction and Use regulations from back then, so a small motorcycle number plate could be used to make the job easier - I assume the alloy ones are available in small straight configuration, though they aren't generally used on motorbikes like that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:03:09 PM by AndrewG »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »
not too worried about the rear i can easily do something suitable - victoria 250 did something as you suggest for the rear . it's just ideas for least offensive front i think . sure wouldn't get away with small plate on a 4 wheeler would you ?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
Could you use four  long tube spacers to hold the ends of the flat number plate away from the body.

Small number plate like the Messerschmitt but not bent to the shape of the body.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
Thats a ropey old looking schmitt Barry!  :D  Who tucked you up with that, by coincidence Richard once owned it himself!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
and strangely enough i passed it on only because i had a chance of the Bruetsch . no idea if it was the right decision financially - but i like to be different . on the plate front i never liked the large plate on a schmitt . look at Jon Pertwee's number plate , i think it ruins the look , thats what i want to avoid on the Bruetsch 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:55:56 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
I agree, I just wish I could remember were I got that small plate from, Barry may be able to find the reciept in the pile of them I passed on to him. I think you made the right decision about the Brutcsh, the schmitt would probably still be in the same tea chest sat in the corner of your garage. Its always the way when you try to do more than one project at a time, thats been my experience anyway. ps, when you learn how to bend ali screen frame channel let me know wont you, I'm stuck on that too! >:(

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »
as far as i see its fibreglass and rubber strip - no bending ally channel thank god . just need a fibreglass fabricator who i can trust with the ONLY Bruetsch Pfeil screen in THE WORLD
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:58:55 PM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
anyway the last time i saw FCM 820 in the flesh it had big ugly plates too !  :)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 12:02:13 AM »
I think a stick-on or painted plate in about the same position as your colour photograph but slightly smaller to allow for the grill. I've mocked this up in photoshop with the plate from the colour photo, but I think you can get a better "classic" font from stick on numberplate suppliers these days. They used stick on numbers in another car restoration I read about as a template, scribing around them and then painting between the scribed lines.

These are the sort of stick on type, would 65mm high letters be to big?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-Number-Plate-Letters-1Xset-White-Stick-on-Classic-Vintage-REAR-/160950062232?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item25795f0c98
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
I agree, I just wish I could remember were I got that small plate from, Barry may be able to find the reciept in the pile of them I passed on to him. I think you made the right decision about the Brutcsh, the schmitt would probably still be in the same tea chest sat in the corner of your garage. Its always the way when you try to do more than one project at a time, thats been my experience anyway. ps, when you learn how to bend ali screen frame channel let me know wont you, I'm stuck on that too! >:(

I will have a look.