Author Topic: Weiner auction live feed  (Read 53878 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Weiner auction live feed
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
any car formerly in the Weiner collection is worth an enormous amount of money

Agreed, I saw a documentary sometime ago about a French Ferrari collector (his names escapes me), who every so often he lets a car go, the basis of the doc. Although rare and an ex Le Mans winner it far exceeded all expectations, simply because it had been part of this prestigious collection. All his cars were embellished with his own insignia so I guess it's a status thing!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »
I think perhaps when you get a lot of wealthy men in that environment perhaps they don't like to back off first . I reckon quite a few will be in the doghouse too. You paid how much ! ..... Ouch ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
So now its all over what were the bargains if any and what was expensive and will he do it again?
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
So now its all over what were the bargains if any and what was expensive and will he do it again?
The Mk C Bond needing final assembly was a bargain!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »
What do you mean by manipulate blob ?

For instance, the seller has another account in a family members name or under a different credit card and bids on it himself! Either way eBay makes money, so although discouraged doubt they care!

You mean this does not happen at any auction? Have you met Mr Wall and his married chums Fone and Netty Bidder? I have. They pop up at the most prestigious of events but really do not like the Ring family who get about a bit too. Ask Bob.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
What do you mean by manipulate blob ?

For instance, the seller has another account in a family members name or under a different credit card and bids on it himself! Either way eBay makes money, so although discouraged doubt they care!

You mean this does not happen at any auction? Have you met Mr Wall and his married chums Fone and Netty Bidder? I have. They pop up at the most prestigious of events but really do not like the Ring family who get about a bit too. Ask Bob.

Oooo, I hope you are not inferring that I was ever part of the Ring family Al! You are right though, let me introduce you to Mr Chandelier! In my experience the auction rooms are one of the most bent institutions in the country in the same league as the banks! Remember the auction of microcars and mopeds up at Leak Staffs a few years ago, the vendor had a chum with a list of what to bid the cars up to standing by the rostrum with his arm on a yo yo string! In this instance it didnt work and as Al said he was able to mop up some bargains after the sale.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:35:51 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »
Leek. A great auction as I bought several cars from France via my man and then most of the cars left after the sale at a job lot price. Now if only Bruce's auction had copied that event I would be rolling in weird cars and very very in debt. Hey ho.

Turns out the Zeta mentioned at 11,000 was not a Sport. Classic disinformation there from the numbty division of Microcar Enthusiasts so the comment was pulled if your wondering where it went. If you were not then you missed it making me look a bigger fool than I am already.

I have crunched some numbers and in fact there were some quite reasonable prices given the nature of the event. I am biased toward my own favourites and I can see that the auction will probably nudge up the prices a bit. That is good and bad as there were some things I wanted to trade in but others I am happy to go. So honours even in a way. It really hurts those who are not in ownership at the moment. Much like house prices, assuming you want a house of course. The real winner looks to be Trienkels which performed very well. Bummer, got rid of most of mine some while back. However I am pleased as they at last receive the recognition I felt they always deserved rather than for ever cast in the shadow of the better known Schmitt and Isetta.

A look at the list also shows I own a lot of things not in the museum collection. So that is cool as it shows I still have some genuine weird stuff not exposed to the newer market forces. I can continue to enjoy owning these without worrying about the value/worth issues justifying 'money' sat idle on shelves.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
any car formerly in the Weiner collection is worth an enormous amount of money
Agreed, I saw a documentary sometime ago about a French Ferrari collector...

Ah, that's even better, as it's more specific.  Any car formerly in the Weiner collection is worth at least as much as a high-end Ferrari.  I'm glad we're in agreement.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
Crikey ferraris at 5,000 now where can I get one of them ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

fibreglass

• Occasional
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:16 PM »
Crikey ferraris at 5,000 now where can I get one of them ?

LOL you obviously haven't seen my other auctions on ebay, there are as many cheap Ferraris out there as there are microcars, you just need to know where to look but the prices have gone up since I collected some of mine. I have bought running driving Ferraris for less than you would pay for a rough Isetta project now. It is a crazy world. It's funny the people I know who are into high performance cars cannot understand why I am interested in microcars and the people I know who are into microcars cannot understand why I am interested in the high performance cars. I just say the same thing to them all, I can appreciate all types of cars, does it really matter what it is as long as you like and enjoy what you have. The value is irrelevant if you already own it and enjoy it.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »
Correct.

I believe the key here is to buy what you want and not what you think will impress other people. Very often following the crowd comes with a price premium where as doing your own thing does not. A frilly Ferrari is still a Ferrari after all. That it is not posy does not matter if it fulfils what satisfies you in owning a Ferrari.

It is possibly this dictum that has fractured the ownership of Microcars over time. Those from way back had them as unfashionable objects. That their taste and ability saved and promoted the area into what has now become something of a bun fight means there are some folk who feel a little cheesed off that it is their hobby that is currently all the rage. That feeling is made worse if none of the fiscal rewards accrue to those with the fore sight to save the stuff but rather to those who saw the opportunity thus created. I understand that.
I am deeply untrendy and it amuses me greatly when I suddenly become fashionable for some reason or other, be it a top spec 1952 kitchen complete with Kenwood, Avery and Krupp accessories, Eriba Pucks or having Dalmatian dogs. My choice of cars is just another area. Fashion really is very silly behaviour but it maketh money. Being true to you tastes and interests investing in the unwanted saves money. Put the two together and deep joy can found in your bank account if you are lucky in choosing well. Ultimately you might be able to afford something you might really want that is rather expensive. All without apparently trying.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
I spent years going to car boots at 5am on sundays . Bought some very odd thing as I. Love to find the odd things that survived against the odds. 2 objet d'art that I can think of that would surprise - 3 rolls 50's kitchen wallpaper which I loved and friends and family couldnkt get cost pence - they sold for nearly 100gbp and will be gracing someones themed kitchen now , I just wish I could see it . Another item cost maybe 5 gbp and sold again for near 100. Was indeed an early 60's kenwood blender - the buyer paid 60 odd in postage and insuirance to germany . These things are hard to find but I find a thrill in finding them and passing them to an appreciative buyer - mind I have a shedful of stuff where I.got it wrong  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:08:41 AM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:02 AM »
Ah, the mistakes. Yep, a shed of them comes with the territory. But are they, if you like them? A few extra bunts from good buys lubricates the hobby and hopefully reduces the negative vibes from partners. It is easy to see why none partnered folk gain extensive collections of 'crap'.

My Kenwood is the first and original Chef type made. There is one in the Science Museum, or such institution. Mine works, theirs does not! Apparently they are pretty rare despite that they look similar to the later, 'improved' versions. Got most of the extras too. It is fully dismantlable and so can be repaired nigh on for ever. Brilliant bit of kit and to good so had to be replaced by stuff that broke! Made a new set of brushes for it last year. Possibly its third set. I wonder if there is a Kenwood club. No, do not answer that question, I do not want to know.

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
I've two Kenwood chefs (with lots of the accessories too) - one is a spare, the other in full use by swmbo'd.

Just moved home and it required two very full 18 tonners - and am now settled into the Forest of Dean in a village where there are plenty of old car nuts, but the Forest has been known for eccentricity.

back on topic, Alan is right, buy when unfashionable and hope it comes into fashion!

My best buy ever, one item purchased for £24, sold for £6700 - and, no, it wasn't a car!

Thing is, our cars are fashionable now - that was something that started in the mid 1980s when all sorts of 50s and 60s stuff was to be found in scrapyards - none had microcars, as they had all been spirited away. By the late 1980s, prices were on the rise and a Messerschmitt in good condition was still £1500-2000 then, so is the £15-25k now unreasonable?

People like microcars, you only have to take one to a show to find that out. That popularity equates to demand which, in a finite market, means people pay more.

The market is also global, with collectors the world over wanting to have the unusual and quirky. Expect more to be exported! SO why not do a trade the other way - leboncoin is good for French cars, the distance is not huge and you have something quirky, fun and rare in this country. However, the bottom line is lots of our cars, beyond the few mass produced cars like Googo, Messerschmitt, isetta, were rare even when new and produced in low quantities, making them rarer still today. There are 156 Tigers, but perhaps ten or twenty Inters, a few Reyonnah, one original Isetta pick up, one Messerschmitt Kr201 Sport, one Mi Val, etc.

I'm glad I bought my cars when I did, I couldn't afford them now, nor would I pay the prices. But they are like your house - the money is not realisable unless you want to sell. I don't want to sell and consider my Schmitt of no value as I have no intention of selling it. However, I know what it is worth (ditto the house), but would rather have the car than the cash (or a nice house, rather than rent).

Get used to the high prices and the new collectors - they're here to stay, unfortunately.
This is a blip - the prices were astronomical, as they were in 1997, but the market stabilised afterwards then and saw a steady but slow creep up in prices. as there has been in almost all classic cars.

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2013, 11:11:57 PM »
The auction house has posted the results:

http://www.rmauctions.com/results/result.cfm?feature=No&category=all&salecode=BW13

This is by lot number, although several other options for filtering and sorting are listed along the right-hand side of the window.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway