Author Topic: richards new trailer  (Read 19896 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: richards new trailer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »
max load weight would be 645lb - 290kg no idea of the trailer weight . these RUM cars are mainly or completely of aluminium 

Why such long ramps on such a low trailer?
Couldn't you get away with cranking up the trailer jack at the front end, and rolling your treasure on board, and then leveling the trailer before attaching it to the ball of your tow vehicle.
I have been wondering if this approach would work for myself, as a neighbor has a small boat trailer with 8 inch wheels and no brakes that I can have for the taking.  As I see it, all that might be needed to pull it behind my Ford Crown Victoria with class 3 trailer hitch, would be a 4' x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood bolted to the frame rails, and the hull braces removed.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »
have yet to try loading the trailer the weather in England is not tempting me out to mess around at the moment. the ramps may look long but feel it may be an illusion . a quick look at ebay and most trailer ramps including for motorcycles come in at about 1.8m - 2mtrs. mine are 1.7m  . i have a feeling a steeper ramp may be a little steep . i will see .

delightful to see steven using IMPERIAL measurements easy to forget that they were once a colony . i daren't even ask if your tea is sold by the lb  ;)   
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

ukblitz

• Occasional
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 09:03:41 PM »
Just a picture of my trailor, I made it from the chassis of a French Rapido folding caravan, it has carried Isetta 3 and 4 wheel, Heinkel ireland and [Bond bug at a squeeze], it will also carry  a Messerschmitt, it came without the caravan, just the frame, it is braked with good size wheels, it tows really well, it dosnt need ramps as you can see i just winch it on, when strapped down i can move it about easily, it came with a weight plate, so all in all has been very good so far. :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
This was approx how the light weight Schmitt trailer worked but that was so deft as to not need tie downs. Clearly most folk would not go that far and a trailer for multiple uses has to compromise a bit. Having the axle in the right place offers reasonable control on tipping and moving the whole about. I suspect that trailer could also be stored on its tail if needs be. Great as you can padlock it to the wall.

I did have a canter-levered trailer once, ex Graham Potter. That was a cunning job that needed no ramp as the deck tilted while the frame and axles did not. The problem that relieved itself was the continual failure of the two arms dropping back to support the indispension units. These suffered stress fractures and short of some pretty big steel the design was fundamentally flawed as a lightweight trailer. I believe it is still in use outside the microcar world but with a very modified pair of sides to address the problem.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
well the trailer did what was expected of it - although not a hard challenge . round trip of 700 miles , via brothers and aunties to get the Bond G Tourer rear end .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
So is that to be mated with a G front to create a new G tourer. A car I had which on reflection I should not have sold. Might not be the biggest Bond fan in the world but the G tourer kicks micro bottom.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
hopefully it will suit the little lady and self . they only built 50 of the G tourer and there are currently only 6 survivors this making up a 7th - it changes this into this -

well it doesn't necessarily turn Neasdon into Lake Garda but you get the drift eh ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:45:37 AM by richard »

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
What happened to the rest of the tourer
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
i have absolutely no idea but happy with the bit i have - the surviving steel including the wheels are absolutely scrap it's been a wreck obviously for many years

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »
Ah. Lake Girder fork van. Raleigh, where else could a European tour take a Bond to.

Only 7! Blimey, I really should have kept it. Cannot remember the reg number now but it stayed in the UK at that point even though I am not so sure who bought it. Alan Evans?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »

Only 7! Blimey, I really should have kept it. Cannot remember the reg number now but it stayed in the UK at that point even though I am not so sure who bought it. Alan Evans?

You had EKN 113C.  ;D That's the one you had on the trailer in January 1999 when me & Dad met you over the farm. Both of you had beards at the time & I looked over at the pair of you whilst investigating the Bond & there you both were scratching away in unison through your beards! You still had the old VW Lt then too...

Oop, just found the photo....

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »
photographed more recently whilst rallying in Europe ( together with similarly turned out car GDT 457C owned by the late Terry Bradley , enthusiastically rallied on Bonds Abroad often with his wife and young grand-daughters ) . i think this makes EKN 113C Ken and Rhona Bells .
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:38:08 PM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
Quote from: Stuart Cyphus link=topic=3735.msg27847#msg27847 date=1364835081
 Oop, just found the photo....
[/quote

And low. There is the counter-levered trailer. You can see that it has a horizontal post carrying the suspension outside the deck which tips up.

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »
For me I want a trailer over-engineered for the task....

I've never used this arrangement farther than a round-trip distance of 4200 miles, so I'm not sure how well it would do beyond that.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
Interesting photo! The trailer could have been made from a reliant chassis with front wheel still in place! :D  Nice to see some one appreciating an old Austin Rover Metro. Wow! 4200 miles, thats a long way to go for a car show! Something that wouldnt happen here on our small isle, besides, we would have to remortgage our houses to pay for the petrol, and thats even using a Metro. :D