Author Topic: richards new trailer  (Read 19836 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: richards new trailer
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
great photo , looks a great trailer for the job, a fair test of a trailer i would say ! whats the car ?

i wonder who invented the plastic portaloo things and did they patent the idea ? ( after bobs episode i always look into the background to see whats going on  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
Its a KV or KVS. What did you do at Story Richard? Did you not explore the museum?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »
Stoery bob was 11 years ago !! yes i did the museum but have obviously forgotten this one or don't recall the side profile . it still doesn't ring a bell .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
Well, I'm wondering now if Stuart wasnt right in his remark about the old boys in the hobby not having the knowledge.  ;)

Do you not recall a car with a very simple transmission system, a friction drum driving the axle?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:42:44 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 06:44:14 PM »
no

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
Do you not recall a car with a very simple transmission system, a friction drum driving the axle?

We are back to the Van de Graph generator. Sorry I will be rubbing you up the wrong way. I will keep Cavey while you discuss - no one coming.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 11:44:19 PM »
A friction generator is the glass drum Nairne type, invented yonks before the Van de graaff. [thats the correct spelling Al]  The other type of friction generator is the single plate Cuthbertson type. Both a darned sight more reliable than a Van de graaff!  seen pictured here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:46:00 PM by Bob Purton »

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
The trailer could have been made from a reliant chassis with front wheel still in place!

It's the finest in homebuilt transportation from a total stranger in Colorado.  I bought it third-hand (at least).

Nice to see some one appreciating an old Austin Rover Metro.

MG Metro!  Completely different!  Well, somewhat different.  Okay, fine, not all that different....

whats the car ?

1980 KV Mini 1.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/by_design/0911_1980_kv_mini_1_design_analysis/viewall.html

http://clunkbucket.com/victoire-de-citrons/

Or, should one prefer a British opinion:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20473
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 07:15:57 AM »
A friction generator is the glass drum Nairne type, invented yonks before the Van de graaff. [thats the correct spelling Al]  The other type of friction generator is the single plate Cuthbertson type. Both a darned sight more reliable than a Van de graaff!  seen pictured here.

Sorry going off topic here.

Van de Graaff, bit gready on the A' there, generator is friction from the belt, if memory serves. As a device the VdG is quite spectacular, if it is a big one, as its dome can support great discharges. Ours was ex Bristol University and came with Prof Davy - yes that family of Davy. Sadly, a brilliant mind, but a poor teacher, unless you were interested.  I have no doubt the same effect would be had using the others with that dome, though. So is the Wimshurst friction also? - double back to read previous info. What in effect is going on is depletion of electrons from one area to another. Mount a variated plate without the friction and you get some induction, towards a dynamo ultimately, but fundamentally a different process.

The arcing produces X rays amongst other emissions and in early experiments scientist overdosed themselves on X ray to the extent that there were more incidence of radiation related health issues with this technology than with the early nuclear industry. Or put another way, the nuclear industry learned from the errors made with experimenting with high voltage discharges. There is a picture of a guy sat inside a Faraday cage in a industrial unit sized VdG with discharges going all ways.

What I do not know is how useful this all is. For instance I know that electricity travels more efficiently at high voltage, see the National Grid. However for use and safety we knock 20,000 volts back to 240 volts, here - other countries different, but in the same area. The currant is better and it does not arc. But is a Wimshurst attached to a windmill in clear air stepped down to 240 volts at the house going to be better than a 24 volt truck alternator stepped up to 240 volts to run you private green world? I ask this with the advice that 240 volt generators to go on a stick cost a lot of money.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »
You have to remember Al that I'm not a physicist and only knowledgeable on antique instruments, A VDG does work from the friction of the belt on the rollers but is not known as a friction machine and neither is the wimshurst, the latter is known as an influence machine and there is no friction involved, the brushes are just attached to neutralizing rods. The Nairne and Cuthbertson types are always refered to as friction machines. VDG's can be spectactular as you say but can be swines to get started, they are very suseptable to damp and are very fussy about the materials used, one roller must be of a different material to the other ie aluminium and perspex. The belts have to be pure rubber latex as I recall. even printed graphics on the belt can result in it failing to excite. I much prefer Wimshursts.