Author Topic: RCN publication schedule  (Read 2635 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
RCN publication schedule
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
For those of you who have subscribed to Rumcar News for any length of time will know when to expect the magazines to hit your door mats or computer in boxes. But for new readers, of which we have a few, Rumcar News id published 4 times a year and our target dates for the magazines to arrive with subscribers are
Spring =15 March,
Summer = 15 June,
Autumn = 15 September and
Winter = 15 December

For those of you who will or want to send in anything for inclusion in the magazine the editorial deadline is one month earlier

15 February
15 May
15 August and
15 November

In the 4 weeks between the editorial deadline and the arrival at your door ,we have to set all the articles into the magazine, send back copies to each of the contributers (13-14) for comments, attend to the comments, write any additional material to fill any spaces that may arrise. Send the document off for proof checking, attend to the comments returned from the proof checker, send the final copy to the printer. Collect the printed magazines, stuff them into envelopes and add the address lables and get them to the post office so they can spend a few days in transit before they reach you,

This 11 or 12 stage process takes between one and three days per stage, so it is a race to get it all done in 28 days.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: RCN publication schedule
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
For some reason it posted itself before I had finished and corrected my spelling errors. Sorry about that.

There is also the proof checking of the first printed copy before the main print run, and even then mistakes creep in, like pictures back to front, and names spelt incorrectly.

As soon as it is put to bed I start on the next issue, setting up a blank template, setting in the material left over from the last edition, and planning what is needed. Like who is the best person to write XX, or where can I get a good photo of YY, or research material for an article on ZZ. It is a bit like a conveyor belt, constantly moving towards the publication date.

I hope this helps some of you to plan your days off, and to be ready for the postman on the 4 most important days of the year.

Happy reading

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News