Author Topic: "Barn find" Peel Trident on Ebay  (Read 3713 times)

Trident

• Quite Chatty
"Barn find" Peel Trident on Ebay
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
"Barn find" Peel Trident Ebay item no. 221194681098  :o
Can't have been in the barn for very long though.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: "Barn find" Peel Trident on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 06:05:38 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221194681098

described as a "REPLICA PROTOTYPE"

wtf is that?

also described as "99% complete" but it comes with a brand new CVT scooter motor.
what is the 1% missing?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:07:39 PM by Jim Janecek »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
Dear Jim

Looks like Peel Engineering are selling off their prototypes. The photo's look like they were taken in Garry Hillman's Bat Cave in Chislehurst

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:19:50 PM »
Its started, the meaningless reference to the price the real one in the auction made!

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »
Looks like Peel Engineering are selling off their prototypes. The photo's look like they were taken in Garry Hillman's Bat Cave in Chislehurst

thank you, now it actually makes sense!
Except for the "barn find" part.  All the bits are only a few years old.
I wondered why the dome looked so flat.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
Barnfind is a search phrase that British folk use a lot in there listing headings, they are not always literally found in a barn but are projects. Silly, I know!

Yes, the dome does look an odd shape!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:36:39 AM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:58:48 AM »
Well Barn Find might mean that on eBay, Bob.

To me it means a car out of long storage, normally subject to clearance.

The whole point of a Barn Find car is that it has not been arsed around with by some numbty nor had all the good bits nicked, unless that was done the age ago before the car was then ignored to slumber. It does not mean the car is in good condition, so buyer beware. It is easy to see why that category of car would be an appealing description for people selling junk. Since no dictionary definition exists they can get away with it.

I hate to raise the topic but Barn Find does tend to vary in its meaning depending which part of the country ones is dealing with. Either that or the barns in certain areas are just of considerably better quality and much less used. There is one guy I observe on eBay who consistently manages to have Barn Finds for sale. Sadly they always seem to be in the same barn dressed with a bit of dirt and straw. A con man among many.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »
 :D :D :D    What I mean is that some folk just use the phrase so that there project comes up if someone searches" Barn find". Its clear from the Peel photos and the fact that its stated one of there prototypes that its not a literal barn find. Shame they do this as it dilutes the true meaning as you defined. I have a similar problem with an Indian guy who consistently finds rare antique scientific instruments in his loft! All fakes of course.