Author Topic: Mystery car contest.  (Read 12037 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Mystery car contest.
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 03:54:07 AM »
A report from deep France; (yep, that's where I am at the moment!)

Right, how can I say this without offending anyone/someone/everyone? Oh well, here goes. Just remember it's not aimed at any individual in particular, just a general statement. Over the past year or so I've noticed a lot of "what's this car" or "What's that car" and "Anyone ever seen this picture before?". In every single case where the aforementioned pictures etc have been put up, I have honestly been able to say to myself "yes, I do know that car/picture etc". I've only been round the micro world eleven years compared to the 20/30/40 years clocked up by some, but I find it's the old stagers (for want of a better expression) who are doing all the asking. Do you honestly really not know what this stuff is?! You've been around anything up to four times longer than I have!!! It should be me asking you what this stuff is! I just find it unfathomable that people who are meant to be enthuastiac about microcars have not made it their business to already know what just about EVERYTHING is....    

Is the above really the state of the nation (of the forum, as opposed to RCN the magazine) or am I the odd one out for having gone out of my way to stuff my head with everything possible and accumulated everything I possibly can in relation to the micro world. I do find I have been wondering for a little while now if there is anything new to learn in the micro world as presented here, and the above makes me wonder all the more as the ground we tread at the moment here on the forum should have been the ground we covered long long ago no matter how "new" or "old" to microcars we are.

I confess I don't go a lot on reprinting past articles in RCN. Such venerable publications should keep on pushing the knowlege forward rather than stand still or step back. I made it my business to get complete sets (or as complete as I could get) of just about all the different club & register magazines, in some cases going back to the early 1970s. If one is serious about "the knowledge" of these cars, then get on and find those back issues like we who went before had to do....

But then again, in the words of ol' Blue Eyes; "I did it my way."

Oh heck. Did I really write the above?! I suppose I must have done as it's my name upon it. Right, I think I owe a general explanation of what seems to be at the root of certain erratic behaviour patterns from me over at least the past six months. This is my first public admitance of this, as for reasons in line with the nature of the fault, I didn't and still don't really regard the diagnostic as a problem as such. Indeed, even my family do not know about the forthcoming. Nor do I wish them to know....

Seven years ago I had a certain personal difficulty which, after a couple of months of erraticness in the previous world I used to occupy before I got into microcars, was traced to (and I quote;) "...a trauma-induced manifestation of a latent strain of otherwise semi-controlled Aspergers Syndrome"    I knew I'd always been fixated beyond reasonable requirements on most things in which I was intrested, but apparently, in 2005, it was officially listed as an abnormal mindset. To me personally, I always had, and still do, regard it as my perfectly normal state of existence.

Anyway, to return to the point; In April last year, another somewhat major personal difficulty arose, which I have no intention of disccussing on open forum, which apparently set my mindset off once again. This resulted in Doctors orders to ditch (amongst a few other things) the ICR for at least a year as so not to have the day-to-day running of it inflaming the rising Aspergers re-manifestation. Unfortunately I ignored this advice for some six months, which manifested in mental and temporal conflict between, on the one hand, my need to get away from the ICR for a time, and on the other, an over-riding sense of responsibility because of all I'd done to build it up over the years. This resulted in a certain explosive reaction to a perceived effort to push the invalid carriages off main forum a little while ago which finally (and eventually) made me suddenly get that aspect into proportion.

At the current time, the ICR is semi-mothballed. I still answer enquiries, but restrain myself to no more than two or three a week. My manifested current overly Aspergers mindset is just about under control at the moment, but please note, not entirely as alas the above quoted earlier posting has proved. Thomas a few posts later, was indeed right about what was going on.  Bare with me. I'll get back to my own normality soon enough...      
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:24:47 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
I do not pretend to understand why the Docs wanted you to give up the ICR. It had got to the point of becoming an achievement that deserves to be taken on and developed by someone, even if it is not yourself. If that is what has to be then I guess that is it, but do not loose confidence in a job well done just because no one has shown up to take over. Such volunteers seem to be getting more difficult to find in any sphere of activity. It plays to your skill set as do the number plates. As we talked about the other week there are a lot of things you can do if you want to. Starting things is always more interesting than running them. Like a lot of people there are things that are found very much more difficult to do, though. The trick is to trade off the stuff your good at. Folk think your brilliant then. Your local chums value you for that and for being who you are little buddy. Just many people seem to be going through difficult times of their own round here what with family members pegging out, fiscal probs and so on. It has not been a good year so far. Do not be a stranger.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
A report from deep France; (yep, that's where I am at the moment!)

Right, how can I say this without offending anyone/someone/everyone? Oh well, here goes. Just remember it's not aimed at any individual in particular, just a general statement. Over the past year or so I've noticed a lot of "what's this car" or "What's that car" and "Anyone ever seen this picture before?". In every single case where the aforementioned pictures etc have been put up, I have honestly been able to say to myself "yes, I do know that car/picture etc". I've only been round the micro world eleven years compared to the 20/30/40 years clocked up by some, but I find it's the old stagers (for want of a better expression) who are doing all the asking. Do you honestly really not know what this stuff is?! You've been around anything up to four times longer than I have!!! It should be me asking you what this stuff is! I just find it unfathomable that people who are meant to be enthuastiac about microcars have not made it their business to already know what just about EVERYTHING is....    

Is the above really the state of the nation (of the forum, as opposed to RCN the magazine) or am I the odd one out for having gone out of my way to stuff my head with everything possible and accumulated everything I possibly can in relation to the micro world. I do find I have been wondering for a little while now if there is anything new to learn in the micro world as presented here, and the above makes me wonder all the more as the ground we tread at the moment here on the forum should have been the ground we covered long long ago no matter how "new" or "old" to microcars we are.

I confess I don't go a lot on reprinting past articles in RCN. Such venerable publications should keep on pushing the knowlege forward rather than stand still or step back. I made it my business to get complete sets (or as complete as I could get) of just about all the different club & register magazines, in some cases going back to the early 1970s. If one is serious about "the knowledge" of these cars, then get on and find those back issues like we who went before had to do....

But then again, in the words of ol' Blue Eyes; "I did it my way."

Oh heck. Did I really write the above?! I suppose I must have done as it's my name upon it. Right, I think I owe a general explanation of what seems to be at the root of certain erratic behaviour patterns from me over at least the past six months. This is my first public admitance of this, as for reasons in line with the nature of the fault, I didn't and still don't really regard the diagnostic as a problem as such. Indeed, even my family do not know about the forthcoming. Nor do I wish them to know....

Seven years ago I had a certain personal difficulty which, after a couple of months of erraticness in the previous world I used to occupy before I got into microcars, was traced to (and I quote;) "...a trauma-induced manifestation of a latent strain of otherwise semi-controlled Aspergers Syndrome"    I knew I'd always been fixated beyond reasonable requirements on most things in which I was intrested, but apparently, in 2005, it was officially listed as an abnormal mindset. To me personally, I always had, and still do, regard it as my perfectly normal state of existence.

Anyway, to return to the point; In April last year, another somewhat major personal difficulty arose, which I have no intention of disccussing on open forum, which apparently set my mindset off once again. This resulted in Doctors orders to ditch (amongst a few other things) the ICR for at least a year as so not to have the day-to-day running of it inflaming the rising Aspergers re-manifestation. Unfortunately I ignored this advice for some six months, which manifested in mental and temporal conflict between, on the one hand, my need to get away from the ICR for a time, and on the other, an over-riding sense of responsibility because of all I'd done to build it up over the years. This resulted in a certain explosive reaction to a perceived effort to push the invalid carriages off main forum a little while ago which finally (and eventually) made me suddenly get that aspect into proportion.

At the current time, the ICR is semi-mothballed. I still answer enquiries, but restrain myself to no more than two or three a week. My manifested current overly Aspergers mindset is just about under control at the moment, but please note, not entirely as alas the above quoted earlier posting has proved. Thomas a few posts later, was indeed right about what was going on.  Bare with me. I'll get back to my own normality soon enough...      

Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
best of luck with it all stuart  :) certainly your mindset doesn't stand out much in this forum
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »
As Richard says, best of luck, and remember that the best thing for Aspergers is salt and melted butter, nom!
What?
Oh sorry, my mistake. I must have Attention Deficit Disorder!   ;D
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »

Oh sorry, my mistake. I must have Attention Deficit Disorder!   ;D

;) My trouble is I pay too much attention to my doings!   :o
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:06:58 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »
I trust that is a Bakelite switch.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 07:43:05 PM »
Aspergers, my dad had it, my son has it... why should it skip a generation  ;D
Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
Dear Stuart

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

My wife, who you might say is in the bussiness, has often explained to me that Autism has a wide spectrum, and we are all somewhere on that spectrum. Aspergers and Savont are just names given to particular parts of the spectrum. Nobody is truly nomal. We are all good at something and not at others and we all need to recognise that fact. Everybody thinks that they are in the middle of the spectrum as they judge others from where they are. Some people you meet are a short distance away on the spectrum, while others are a long way away. The further the distance the more noiceable the perceived difference. To a trained practicioner the symptoms of each syndrome can be spotted and recorded,but to the untrained they probably notice things, but do not appreciate the significance. It is assumed that people with autism are not high achievers, when in reality it is the other way around.

For those of us who do not have your ability to research, remember and recall things that interest us, your ability to do so it a thing of wonder. With your explanation I think we can all appreciate your unique abilities better and work with you, with your aims and endevours, rather than against you.

Keep up the good work

Chris Thomas