Author Topic: Wimshurst machine  (Read 14739 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Wimshurst machine
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »
Oh you HAVE been busy! I was thinking more of the microcars though. For some reason I thought you had sold the IWL scooters?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
well i am surprised too barry . i thought you were all talk like me . but you never post on these interesting vehicles at all . nice to hear it anyway i will make a mental note not to judge people by their off topic activity alone  :)
the wimshurst machine ! what memories of the science labs at Public School 1970's . all holding hands in a circle  ( we did that naturally as you can imagine  ) the first and last boy each holding onto one ball  . cannot recall who got the shock when the circuit was broken - presumably the one next to the break . 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:37 PM »

. all holding hands in a circle  ( we did that naturally as you can imagine  ) the first and last boy each holding onto one ball  .

You've just taken me back to my schools days there Ah, happy days.   ;D

Why are you all looking at me funny?......   ???

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 09:25:17 AM »
No Wimshurst for us. A Van de Graph generator rather. It malfunctioned while I was at the Crib. As I was chief handy pupil I was allowed to help the Lab Technician repair it. The belt was loosing tension. Anyway we did such a good job that a speed control had to be added to adjust the amount of charge generated. From that I got to help the LT reasonably regularly, which was brilliant as a boarder as you could end up with a lot of time on your hands with nothing to do if you were a useless type. Not only that the LT was an expert on Bats so I learned something about them at the same time. I found loads to do, though not always of a benefit to school rules which were tested hard. I was the only upper 6th former to not be a Prefect, silly arses, just made me create more chaos in way that they could not prove who had done it. Never been good at the authority thing.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs