Author Topic: Wimshurst machine  (Read 14741 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Wimshurst machine
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
As its been confirmed that the off topic lounge is for absolutely anything, here is a wimshurst machine I'm selling.  £520.00

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Re: Wimshurst machine
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
Hello Bob,
     That looks lovely, but what does it do ?          Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
Is this the one you made for a TV program Bob?
Looks like if you have managed to keep it you will get paid twice for it....................No doubt, even as a moderator you will get told off as it might be better in Sales and Aictions   :D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
Hi Nick. It generates static electricity, just turn the handle, the two glass discs rotate in opposite directions, they excite and feed the leyden jars with electricity, the jars are like condensers that build up and then release much like a condenser in an ignition circuit [there' the microcar connention, I'm safe!]  and Zappp!!! a spark jumps across the two discharge rods, thats the two little brass balls above. Invented by James Wimshurst in the 19th century and was then called an influence machine.  They are one of my specialties.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
Is this the one you made for a TV program Bob?
Looks like if you have managed to keep it you will get paid twice for it....................No doubt, even as a moderator you will get told off as it might be better in Sales and Aictions   :D

No Barry, that one was huge! It was for a Warner bros scifi film. This one is not a replica, its a mid 20th century one I restored.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
Looks fantastic Bob and really interesting.

But.....what can you use it for.

I have a nice UV carbon arc  'health' lamp.  You close the carbon rods together then screw them apart, maintaining a lovely 'Frankenstein - like' UV arc.  Really healthy!

I love these old machines.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
What can you use it for? What an odd question, you bought my Messerschmitt and dont use that! Joy of owning a valuable collectors item, investment.

There are a whole series of electrostatic experiments that people do with them, they power Gieseler tubes, fire canons, collapse a lightning house, turn a static windmill, the list is endless if you are into the subject.  Early multiplate ones were the only thing that would generate enough voltage to power an X ray machine. I think you are going to have to have it Barry for the edification of your boys! ;D

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »
Zappp!!! a spark jumps across the two little brass balls above.

Now I know why the brass monkey was crying outside my front door last week.  ;D ;D ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
Hi Nick. It generates static electricity, just turn the handle, the two glass discs rotate in opposite directions, they excite and feed the leyden jars with electricity, the jars are like condensers that build up and then release much like a condenser in an ignition circuit [there' the microcar connention, I'm safe!]  and Zappp!!! a spark jumps across the two discharge rods, thats the two little brass balls above. Invented by James Wimshurst in the 19th century and was then called an influence machine.  They are one of my specialties.

Its a table mounted thunderstorm of sorts

Connect one end to one contender and the other to another (Anne Ode not Ant) and it makes Twister almost as exiting as a a real one going through a 'trailer park' in Albama.

I want Wimshurst hubcaps.

The implication is the time machine - original Rod Taylor version - had a Wimshurst on the rear of it spinning around. Bob is going to crack it one day and go back to buy all the rare Microcars and come forward to sell in auction fronted as an American Bubblegum Millionaire, they'll never guess, then putting his cash into the Cyprus tax haven - oh Bogner Regis!

I was edified once. I am a lot better after treatment and counselling.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:34:49 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »

That's the public schools for you...  ;D

Talking of Wimshurt machines, Alan & I did come across this little beauty last year in deepest Datchet from the same place which yielded five invalid carriages and the Peka caravan.   :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:42:54 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »
What can you use it for? What an odd question, you bought my Messerschmitt and dont use that! Joy of owning a valuable collectors item, investment.

There are a whole series of electrostatic experiments that people do with them, they power Gieseler tubes, fire canons, collapse a lightning house, turn a static windmill, the list is endless if you are into the subject.  Early multiplate ones were the only thing that would generate enough voltage to power an X ray machine. I think you are going to have to have it Barry for the edification of your boys! ;D

But I do use it Bob.  Probably more than many.  I don't go to shows with it on a trailer though.  I pop to the shops on a nice dry day.  I used to go to Diss for an MOT (should I MOT it this year?)  If one of my boys stays late at school, I pick him up, always puts a smile on peoples faces.  Better than just showing it off in a field don't you think?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
Absolutely! Sorry Barry, because you never talk about it I assumed it was dormant like your others.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »

That's the public schools for you...  ;D

Talking of Wimshurt machines, Alan & I did come across this little beauty last year in deepest Datchet from the same place which yielded five invalid carriages and the Peka caravan.   :)

Thats a continental machine Stuart, a very simple type but would be none the less effective. The reason the lighting tube is laid on the machine base is because if you hold one of those tubes near to a well cranked up wimshurst the tube will light up as if by magic. You should have tried to buy it whilst you were there, are you going back?  I'm curious about all the valves perched on vases in that photo, is the owner growing his own bulbs? :D

Al, in effect your hub caps are already wimshursts, thats why car often build up a static charge and give you a belt when you get out and touch the door to close it.   

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
Beautiful Bob, if I had the space I would buy it if I had the money!

I was nearly commissioned by BBC TV to make a Wimshurst Machine a few years back but then they decided to save budget and hire one from a museum.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
Absolutely! Sorry Barry, because you never talk about it I assumed it was dormant like your others.
Not all so dormant.  Velocette LE now has an MOT.  Two IWL scooters are ready for their MOT's - finished them today.  Morris Isis has an MOT - just run out.  Heinkel scooter is next.  Isetta............. ???