Author Topic: Picture puzzle  (Read 16107 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Picture puzzle
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 07:39:28 AM »
Is there a Micro car called a Stinker? What a Hoot if there were.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
What sound does a hooter make?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
It depends on wether you have a cold or not. Oh sorry. snot funny!
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
No clearer to me bob , a hooter makes a hoot
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
No! An owl makes a Hoot!! What sound does a friendly liittle microcar make?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
Well there was a well known record called beep beep but that noise was made on a horn according to the vocals.I do not know what noise a hooter makes if not a hoot
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
Give me strength!!!   And who was the record by?

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
The Bunnies?
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
There were 2 versions and I forget which is which one sings of a cadillac and a nash rambler and one of a bubblecar and a limousine . Playmates or checkmates I think depending which so I do hope you have the right one bob . Was the bubblecar version an english version. As I recall a nash rambler is an austin metropolitan to us in uk but not what we call a micro .
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:38:08 PM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »
Okay so we have it playmates sang the other one so these are the checkmates then ?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
Were the Checkmates from Castleford or Bishops Castle too? Such a chequered career of near hits.

Knights in white Linen.

The Port of the Crimson King

Pawn in the USA

Cila Queen, Chuck

I am sure there are others I have forgotten.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
No clearer to me bob , a hooter makes a hoot

What sound does a Horn make then? If only English were logical.

Honk? Changes the song completely. Ah I have it AC Delboy Beeper as used to cover naughty language in Reliant vans and suitable retro fit for some bubblecars. Caution if Goggo or Victoria might interfere with gear selection.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:25:54 PM by Big Al »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
No,Richard, the picture is of the Playmates,  Checkmates? I was under the impression that they were the same group?I think the song was rerecorded for the European market using the term Bubblecar because a Nash Metropolitain was a normal sized car in Europe so the song would have made less sense. Well,  its the Bubblecar version thats the microcar connection. Well spotted though that there were two versions. Now what prize shall I award you? How about I send you a Villiers S25 carb?  Oh just remembered , thats yours anyway! :D

Just found this on wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beep_Beep_%28song%29
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:21:52 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »
I wonder if cadillac objected and they changed it for uk. But if the same group why would they change names. . Yep if you buy the record beep.beep best to buy the bubblecar version . Odd to play it and find no mention of a bubblecar at all .oh just a thought despite getting there eventually despite a rubbish clue from goggo  ;) I still have no idea about the arthur askey clue - despite him being a liverpuddlian
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:46:22 PM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 07:05:35 AM »
I think the song was rerecorded for the European market using the term Bubblecar because a Nash Metropolitain was a normal sized car in Europe so the song would have made less sense.

Ah the Nash Metropolitan. Styled as the saloon version of the Commer Van with the wheels so far under the body they look like they are the other side of the car. Yet not triple coloured enough to be Italian confection ice cream. A wafer either side just would not help, sadly. A noble failure to combine American handling with best of sophisticated British engineering that should have been left at Dunkirk, all in a crisp design that went out of date before the paint was dry. Yes it compares well with some Microcars but not with the Bubblecar of the 'Euro' version which was trying something new out, hence the hype of the song. The fact it was a hit in the very place responsible for the clunker in the other song, when better designs were available, really is just all rather deliciously ironic and portending of the end of our complacent car industry. Beeb beeb, indeed!