Author Topic: Picture puzzle  (Read 16102 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Picture puzzle
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 07:17:45 AM »
I wonder if cadillac objected and they changed it for uk. But if the same group why would they change names. . Yep if you buy the record beep.beep best to buy the bubblecar version . Odd to play it and find no mention of a bubblecar at all .oh just a thought despite getting there eventually despite a rubbish clue from goggo  ;) I still have no idea about the arthur askey clue - despite him being a liverpuddlian

Was it not Cadillac that gave an Isetta away to buyers of the top of the range swank tank?

Recording artists like to keep their options open and/or the band name Playmates might have been registered in America.

Arthur Askey on the radio 'Hello Playmates!'? The thing I remember is the ongoing scandel of he and the Queen Mother never being seen in the same room together. A Private Eye / Peter Cook spoof which was rather funny.

Not much to do with rare cars but an amusing diversion.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »
Al what makes a noise beeb beeb are you now taking the P ? Okay got the askey thing but golly you have to be very old - I am not !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
You dont have to be old to acquire knowledge Richard. Look at Stuart ,21 and knows everything !  ;) It has to be said that you were the last person on the entire forum to get the puzzle and should be thoroughly ashamed! Worse still, you try and shift the blame on your best playmate Goggo!   Stuart was right, the old duffers know nought!  :D :D :D

RE name change in the Beep record, the Wiki quote mentions that it was the BBC that wouldn't play a record that mentioned a specific brand name and that's why the record was re-recorded using Limousine and bubblecar. The vocals sound identical so I'm sure the checkmates are the playmates.

Who is going to post the next puzzle?

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Ah the Nash Metropolitan.

I think you can expect death threats, at the very least, from the USA for this disrespect.  I know (in the electronic not biblical sense, you understand) two Merkan Metropolitan owners and the slightest criticism brings down instant wrath.

But then I guess if I owned such a poor car, I would want to stamp out criticism before it got properly started too, otherwise it would take over one's life.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
Al what makes a noise beeb beeb are you now taking the P ? Okay got the askey thing but golly you have to be very old - I am not !

'Beebly beebly. OK Buck'. Buck Rodgers in 25th century.

Not sure. Dad used to listen to all this stuff on the radio. So if it were on in 1960 I will remember it. Billy Cotton, Goons, Billy Clithroe etc. AA also appeared on TV doing his act. Royal Command and Good Old Days etc. These things all depend on your families tastes and if you found the person of interest enough to circumvent family opinion.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
Ah the Nash Metropolitan.

I think you can expect death threats, at the very least, from the USA for this disrespect.  I know (in the electronic not biblical sense, you understand) two Merkan Metropolitan owners and the slightest criticism brings down instant wrath.

But then I guess if I owned such a poor car, I would want to stamp out criticism before it got properly started too, otherwise it would take over one's life.

I am renowned for my fair minded bias. The have their good points. They look nice parked in two tone colours. They rust badly so they are rare. Most of them are not here. That said my mate has coupe in his haystack with a sebring frogeyed Sprite.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
Not a puzzle but a nice record cover.

https://www.facebook.com/coversgalore
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:51:31 AM by Isetta_Owner »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »
I luv them! I cant say I've ever driven one but they certainly look nice, I particularly like the door pressings, turquoise and white would be my colour choice. Lets face it, most cars from that period would not have been good to drive!

Here's an odd thing, when ever i use the word colour the spell check flags it up as the wrong spelling, another thing we have the Americans to thank for as well as the Nash.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »
Right moderator purton  :) let's try and put this one to bed first . I was one of very very few on this forum that knew that the playmates as such never recorded a micro related single ! Last on the forum to get it ! I was the first to mention checkmates and of the 446 members of the forum fairly near the top actually . At any one time there are usually between 30 and 60 reading this forum. As for spellcheck ! If you have it fgs why do you so often override it  ;D ;D ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »
Ha ha!! That had the desired effect and rattled your cage, good job we are friends!! :D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
With friends like that who needs enemies  :D anyway I like a guy who is not a sore loser  :D I am now planning my return challenge

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
Before Ted Moult was Dick Smart and the double glazed Isetta. So much more manoeuvrable than a conservatory. Not only that but with our Continental grills on the front you can give confessionals to pretty young ladies too. The Everest Isetta, a Saint amongst cars. 

Climb every mountain
Ford in every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your Beam

A Beam that will hold
All the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live

For more details including Higher Purchase and Even Higher Purchase deals contact Cardinal Fang, Vatican Car Sales. Free with every third car bought, young car valet in uniform.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
Forum quiz what does big al have in common with the Bobette - they both have no filter  ;)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »
He has a sense of humour that others need to cultivate.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »
Forum quiz what does big al have in common with the Bobette - they both have no filter  ;)

Its Gauze and effect, Richard.