Author Topic: Fiat Multipla identification  (Read 2228 times)

Adrian Hills

• Just Starting
Fiat Multipla identification
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:57:18 AM »
I have two Fiat 600 Multiplas and wish to get more information on history and engine size/identity. Both are sourced from Johannesberg, South Africa.

1) 1956 Right hand drive, 4/5 seater. Speedo in MPH. Plate in engine bay says 'built by Car Distributors', East London, South Africa no. 20934. Engine no. 1000004216. Chassis no. 100108018175. Vehicle in need of restoration.

2) 1957 Left hand drive, 4/5 seater. Engine no. 367940, chassis 125982. Vehicle has been 'done up' (more like tarted up!) originally for South African football team, hence colours of yellow and green (handy as colours same as my cycling club), newly refurbished interior in black, darkened rear windows, Alloy wheels (original ones wheels with vehicle). This second one yet to arrive in UK.

Any information or how to research myself would be much appreciated.

I have Malcolm Bobbit's books and an original workshop manual in English.

Cheers
Adrian

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Fiat Multipla identification
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
Have you tried Fiat club South Africa? http://www.fiatclub.co.za/index.htm I would think they can offer some good advice.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »
Fiat used to be very helpful themselves and I got effectively the Heritage Certificate service from them free on several unusual Fiats they had records for. Things might have changed.

The big thing on these four pot Fiats is you need to know which way the engine turns to interchange bits. Many a poor soul has popped in a better engine only to discover they have excellent performance in four speeds backwards. A difference between a 600 and a 600D despite the bore etc.

I have got quite a lot of spares for 4 pot Fiats including Multipla but I expect they are for later cars in the main. Not really got access to it at the moment.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
Now that reminds me ( forgive me deviating ) of the guy who completed a nut and bolt restoration of his Trojan Trobike. It was immaculate but he used a seperately sourced engine. The engine is fitted with a centrifugal clutch and upon starting he revved it up and shot .... Backwards ! Clinton equally made engines of clockwise and anti - clockwise rotatiopn . Caveat emptor
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:32:16 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »
I started my Lambretta up once.  It backfired and ran smoothly.  I went to pull away and shot backwards.