Author Topic: THE GORDON - MISUNDERSTOOD ?  (Read 10909 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
THE GORDON - MISUNDERSTOOD ?
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »
following a couple of recent threads i thought maybe i would try and put the Gordon on the map properly . i rarely read anything at all positive in more recent articles but in the day was it all that bad ? i have never read of a Lands End - John O'Groats run by Allard Clipper , Tourette, Coronet, Powerdrive , Jarc , Astra, Bruetsch etc. etc. this was always regarded as a reasonable test for ANY vehicle back in the day . any thoughts on why the Gordon is always so poorly regarded nowadays ?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:30:52 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: THE GORDON - MISUNDERSTOOD ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
by the way mr.williams was an employee at the factory and the" independent" observer was his friend and best man  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
following a couple of recent threads i thought maybe i would try and put the Gordon on the map properly . i rarely read anything at all positive in more recent articles but in the day was it all that bad ? i have never read of a Lands End - John O'Groats run by Allard Clipper , Tourette, Coronet, Powerdrive , Jarc , Astra, Bruetsch etc. etc. this was always regarded as a reasonable test for ANY vehicle back in the day . any thoughts on why the Gordon is always so poorly regarded nowadays ?

The Gordon Lands end run is a tribute to the reliability and hardiness of the Villiers engine. I proves that it can drag just about anything from one end of the country to the other. The only thing that will really answer all the questions is to get the car finished and see how it drives.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »
 :D you cheeky bugger  :D  now what's that harry hill tv burp phrase let me see ........ fight !
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:07:37 PM by richard »

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »
Richard we would all like to see that you may even get Gary Barlow wanting to drive it instead of that PINK posers ROLLS
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
He is right. I misunderstand that. A hole in my knowledge of popular culture coming in there.

But yes the Gordon does seem to have had a hard time of it as they would not have sold 950 bonk of them if they were really bad. A look at the sales figures might show something. Initial success ended by better competition. Poor support from the manufacturers distracted by other products. The engine seemed to be a bit of a throwback and I would guess many buyers were biker mounted looking for the comfort etc. If so the engine is a sensitive topic. Bond chose the more popular form of Villiers in line with success with tuned motorcycles in trails and such. These sort of successes meant more then than perhaps now. You could have a bit of pep on your Bond if you wanted. Look how many gained a kick starter just for ease of use. Does the Gordon lend itself to this sort of activity which in itself creates a community that helps sell the car? By these small margins is success achieved and the results can be a stampede to buy by people who have no real idea what they are buying other than the image which appeals.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »
Perhaps  we should initiate a Lands end to John o'groats run next year pulling in all the Microcar Clubs on the way. Points being awarded or lost for time taken, fuel consumption, the number of stops for repairs, and the physical condition on completion.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
I have been thinking something like that would be a good idea myself . Wait till I have tried it out. I don't think you could do those mileages nowadays . 250 miles a day through lancashire - little chance and shows how far we have come in 60 years . We now have motorways, dual carriageways and by passes but it would be an awful challenge.   - oh by the way condition on completion - knackered I would think - the drivers I mean     
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:17:20 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »
I've always fancied arranging a London the Brighton microcar run, not very fair on folk who are not from the south though.

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
Well I will help with the lands end to John o Groats not so sure about London Brighton another one of those London has it all!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »
Ah London to Brighton. From a place I could not wait to get out of, to place I do not want to go to. Nice bit in the middle though.

LE JOG for Microcars. A mooted but as yet unexplored project. Add in an index of performance and it starts to get interesting. The one thing is to decide if it is a 'race' or a more structured event over a week. It could even be made into a team class with no one person having to do the entire trip but club members passing a batton to the next vehicle.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
Well I will help with the lands end to John o Groats not so sure about London Brighton another one of those London has it all!

When was the last microcar event in London then? I dont remember one ever? ::)
When I go to a microcar rally I usually have to travel either North or the West country.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »
Ah London to Brighton. From a place I could not wait to get out of, to place I do not want to go to. Nice bit in the middle though.

LE JOG for Microcars. A mooted but as yet unexplored project. Add in an index of performance and it starts to get interesting. The one thing is to decide if it is a 'race' or a more structured event over a week. It could even be made into a team class with no one person having to do the entire trip but club members passing a batton to the next vehicle.

Oh a race I think! In the style of Wacky races with sabotage being allowed! :D

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
Maybe not micros but everything else ends up in London!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 09:41:17 PM »
The Slag brothers, Rock and Gravel in the Peel Trident bouldermobil.