Author Topic: THE GORDON - MISUNDERSTOOD ?  (Read 10910 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: THE GORDON - MISUNDERSTOOD ?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
Maybe not micros but everything else ends up in London!

So what point are you making? Because all kinds of events happen in Englands capitol, microcar enthusiasts like myself who live in its suburbs should be discouraged from doing anything local? Sorry, I just dont follow.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »
The Slag brothers, Rock and Gravel in the Peel Trident bouldermobil.

Bags I be Muttly! Sssssssssss!!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 11:34:06 PM »
And I will happily be Blubba Bear on the Rufus Roughcut Buzzwagon, or was it the Arkinsaw Special, I forget.

People from the suburbs of London should be made to stay there and charged to get out. I think I would wave the charge if you were in a Micro or the GWhizz. I would also have a Berlin type corridor for you guys to visit Brighton, twined with Prevert, Ohio, so that there be little interaction with the carrot crunchers as possible. Yeah, OK they have the expensive purple and white ones round the Weald but they are carrots. None of this Cabbage action. Buck teeth are big round there. I had a girlfriend with teeth like Stonehenge once from round there, boy was she old. Sorry rewind. M25, new wall in short. Is that insulting enough to answer the question?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
It will do I think Al. and quite entertaining!:D    I think issysuy  has some kind of rural chip on his shoulder as a result of all that classic tractor activity! ;D   At least when i finally do organize my London to Brighton run I will know who not to invite. Still, the sun is blazing outside this morning, maybe spring has finally sprung and it's time for  Thumper to emerge  from storage this afternoon.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »
yep - but make it quick , rubbish forecast for tomorrow and the week ahead - AGAIN  >:(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Thumper ought to like carrots. The Inter just looks like one!

L to B would be popular with some voters. Tradition aids it, varied reception facilities to suit tastes on getting there etc etc. It rolls of the tongue in a way the Daventry to Kings Lynn doesn't and they are both places I equally do not wish to go to as L and B.
My all time nightmare would be round North London by Garden Cities. Harlow to Milton Keynes, AAAARRRGHH! Stupidly, of course, that is really what most microcars were made for so its a pilot error I am afraid.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
Dear Richard

Looking at the logistics of the run from Lands End to John O Groats, which by the shortest route is about 830 miles, would take about 35 hrs of driving at 24 mph average. On the basis of about 207 miles per day it would take 5 days, with the first and lastdsays being shorter than the three middle days. This could be done with a team of 2 or 3 sharing the driving and the support vehile and trailer.

Alternatively, if it was done as a relay, in which case it would take 1.5/2 days. Each entrant would need a support team of two support drivers and two main drivers plus a trailer and towing vehicle.

The ideal would be 5 days with a motor caravan+ trailer and two drivers.

The night stops would be Crediton, Market Drayton, Galashields, and Invagordan.

This would require the Bristol boys to do the first stint at marshalling, The Midland lads to do the second stint, The North West lads to do the third stint and the Scottish lads to do the rest ( that sounds a bit unfair)

Provided there was no more than 12 vehicles there would be no major organisational problems.

If the National Microcar Rally could be located on the route and the event run over the same week, then it could be an even bigger success.

Can anybody think of a better set of night stops on route?

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »
I am not sure mentioning Invagordon was wise, Chris, but I will leave that to someone else to explore.

Having done long trips in both Trienkel and Schmitt pilots and steeds are well capable of 300 miles a day. 250 miles is therefore fine. Then this equation should be left to the more tardy performers, such as earlier unmodified Bond team or something, should they form up so as to keep together, daily. Then again the experience of the pilot has to be weighed up and Bonders are up their with the best of them. If so then I think your right on distance to enjoy it. Not sure you need the drivers but different folks, different strokes - I just wanted to say that in relation to Microcars.

Malvern is bung on route this year and hosts the National. Pity it is half way through the second day.

Personally I would not really want to take part unless I drove all the way, as it is a challenge or something. Driving a third of the way means fighting for the interesting bits like mountains and to be missing Birmingham.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »
 An Invagordon....   :)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »
Stuart you are a VERY naughty boy  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
Stuart you are a VERY naughty boy  ;)

Oh, so I'm not the Messiah then?  ;)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »

Bags I be Muttly! Sssssssssss!!
[/quote]

No Stuart, you are the messiah, as you have saved us, albeit probably to be proved only momentarily, from a maelstrom of the provincial utterances, indecipherable incantations and reptilian sound effects, of the non professed modern urban pirate.  ::)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »
I think our Stuart is referring to Monty Python, Life of Brian.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
No argument bob , you didn't pay for one - yes you did ? - no you didn't