Author Topic: My old number plate  (Read 6202 times)

Jim

• Chatty
  • Just aquired 1963 Bond needs loads of resto work
My old number plate
« on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Help am I stuck with this age related plate.

I owned my first Bond back in the mid 60s it was a 1963 MkG Estate and the reg was BMU 46OA it was a Middlesex registered vehicle,  eventually alas though I sold it on but last year decided I wanted to purchase enougher one,  luck had it in September I got my chance and was able to purchase enogher one same age and same model, joined the bond owners club club and started on restoring it,  My question though is if it was found that one of the subsequent owners of my first Bond reg in Middlesex decided to scrap it would that then mean the registration number would have been lost for ever with it or could I now apply to have that plate number used to re register my newly acquired Bond.

Just to complicate matters I have found out the registration number on the Bond I have now is probably not the original registration number but has at some point been changed to an age related plate.
The registration details shown in the V5 show it as TSL 138  

I have tried putting the registration number BMU 460A into various search engines and they have all except one come back with not found, only one came back with info on it and that was regarchive.com

jim.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:56:16 PM by Jim »
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: My old number plate
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
Yes, TSL is an age-related series. If you write to the DVLA's Fee-Paying Inquiries department, for £5 you can request a copy of all the vehicle's history as held by the DVLA (which will include details of former owners etc back to when the vehicle was first placed on the DVLA computer) As you've got an age-related plate, the DVLA ought to hold details of what its original number was, if that number was still present with the car at the time of the application for an age-related number.

BMU 460A means your original was almost certainly sold new by Two Strokes Ltd of Stanmore I'd say. If your original Bond has indeed been officially scrapped, then yes the number is gone forever. If however it (say) has been sitting in a field since 1968 (or whenever) then very likely the old card logbook was never added to the DVLA computer when the original DVLA log for such conversions closed in 1983. If you can find the car and its paperwork again, then you're still in with a chance. But as mentioned, if the car's been officially scrapped, then it's game over alas.

RegArchive isn't really worth the time of day. No matter what number you put in, it'll make out its got a hit when really all it's doing is inserting that inputted number into its automatic viewer thing.  If suppose the number BMU 460A did turn up in a number plate dealer's stock, then yes you can get it transferred over onto TSL 128, provided the year quoted on TSL's V5 as declared date of manufacturer is 1963 or earlier. If it's declared as 1964, then again game over because "no number may be transferred which will make the recepticant vehicle appear younger than the date of manufacturer".   TSL's V5 probably has "Non-transferable number" in the Special Notes section, but this only means you can't transfer that TSL number off onto anything else. It doesn't stop you transferring another number onto the car in place of TSL 138.

I'd like to find out where Dad's old Bond Mk G estate is now. That too was a Two Strokes car but hasn't been seen hide nor hair of since 1983. It's still "live" & out there somewhere though....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:45:08 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
Stuart sums it up pretty succinctly but its really more comlicated than that . Even if you were to find the old car the number belongs to IT . You could apply to have the number reactivated at DVLA but that would mean finding the car ,having it inspected and checked that all the numbers matched to the car . All POSSIBLE but then that number would be on that car and not transferable - so it would not ever be possible to put that old number on any other car
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
Hi stuart I presume you have asked stan cornock what he has on file for your dads car ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
Ah, good point Richard, I forgot that one! But saying that Jim, if the original car ever turns up then I'm sure you'll be buying it back again come what may won't you.  ;)

Yes, Stan's been asked, but the car's never been near the world of Bond clubs past or present.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:54:44 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »
Did it come from Sharp's of Preston near Barnsley . . . . . . Gloucestershire. Its a F fake!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
Quite unusual stuart back in the day Bond Club membership was the norm I should think perhaps your dad was more independantly minded

Jim

• Chatty
  • Just aquired 1963 Bond needs loads of resto work
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
I can`t thank you all enough and cheers Stuart for the in deph answer your right Stuart I did purchase it from Two Strokes Ltd of Stanmore can still remember it like it was yesterday I lived in Northolt had owned a scooter from leaving school and decided I needed a mobile roof over my head if I was to improove my chances of getting on with the oposit sex used to drive up to Top Rank in Watford every Saturday night not sure what the girls used to think when they saw the Bond but hey ho it was fun in the Bond if BMU 460A ever turned up again I would be the first in the queue. ;D thats my kid brother in the photo and the picture was taken outside Mum and Dads old council house in Doncaster Gardens Northolt Middlesex.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:12:24 PM by Jim »
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
If your dads car does turn up you will need the logbook/old tax disc, as Middlesex's County Council  registration records were all destroyed
My dad had a Bond F Ranger from new and that's disappeared of the face of the earth too
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
Quite unusual stuart back in the day Bond Club membership was the norm I should think perhaps your dad was more independantly minded

And independently suspended as well.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »

He never even knew there was a Bond Club! Indeed, he had all his "micro" cars, a Bond 875 in 1973, a Trojan 200 in 1976 and the Bond Mk G in 1978 without any form of outside assistance. Mind you, unlike members of the early microcar movement at that time, all dad's cars were bought as working vehicles rather than toys as they would later become to many people, so he very likely wouldn't have joined a club anyway because what was the need when the cars was "ordinary" in his eyes...   He had the Trojan at the same time as Burford '76 though, and does say that, had he known it was on, he might well have looked in. Who knows how life for both he & me might have panned out if he had have done, but instead it was to be another 25 years before I dragged the famly into the micro scene....

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 08:38:54 PM »
Kicking and screaming eh :)