Author Topic: New Map Solyto: measurements  (Read 18309 times)

bigwill

• Just Starting
New Map Solyto: measurements
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
Dear all,

My first post! 

My name's Will, and I live and work in Dubai with my wife, Lindsay, collie Jess and a New Map Solyto.  I acquired it in 2007 from a lovely couple in La Rochelle: judging from the amount of fish scales and rust in it, it had a hard life working on the harbour there. 

I'm restoring it at present, and will be seeking the assistance of the forum in tracking down parts and information.  The first issue is the bits which are missing, so let's start with a straightforward couple.

First, could somebody please tell me about the steering wheel?  Mine has been cut off and replaced with a horrid plastic affair, but I want to return to the beautiful minimal original: I can get that fabricated here, but I need to know the diameter of the wheel itself and the tubes from which it is made.  Can anyone help?

Secondly, there should be a small knob on the gear lever, I think:  please could someone tell me what diameter it is?  Is it round or oval?

Many thanks in advance.  I look forward to meeting you all, my fellow microcars owners, on my occasional trips back to the UK, France and so forth over the next few years.

Cheers, Will

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: New Map Solyto: measurements
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
HI Will. Welcome to the forum. I bet the sun is out where you are!
Solytos are rare birds in the uk although there are some here. Jean has one in the Hammond collection. Can I make a suggestion, as a starting point register your car with RUMcars if you havnt already done so. Then Alistair can put you in touch with other owners. I'm sure that Mr Jean do of this forum would also be able to help as he is expert on most French microcars. If you have no joy I will measure the wheel on Jean Hammonds  example myself when I visit in July with her permission of course. It may be slow but I'm sure you will get what you need eventually. The quickest solution would be young Jammie[dodger] running outside with a tape measure tonight after school!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:57:40 PM by Bob Purton »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
young Jammie running outside with a tape measure tonight after school!

Who, Jammie Dodger?   ;D    Jamie (one m) could also take a photo as well to put on here.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:33:45 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
Hah! I was wondering if anyone would spot that,  thats my nick name for young Jamie and also a continuation of the micro's and biscuits thread, see the end of the Story sign post photo thread.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
Dear Bob

I think you will find that Will has already poured over the Hammond Solyto on his last trip to the UK, but like all visits there is always something that you missed.

Jamie Dodger would be the best lad to measure up the item, if and when he next reads the forum, and next Jean Do as you suggest.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »
hmmm bob i reckon Will would be more interested in a SANDwich thread in Dubai  ;)

with respect is it known whether jeans car has the original wheel - i have no idea at all but no point copying it unless it's correct - perhaps jean-do's area of expertise
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:07:37 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
What happened to the green one that came on the market over here a few years ago, again. I thought I knew who owned it but time and a lack of great interest has wiped my brain.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

micro marshall

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »
Diameter 34cm
inner post (diameter) 1.5cm
outer ring (diameter) 2cm
This is a original wheel!!
peel p50   28 chickens  Land Rover series 3   Ginetta G26  Heinkel 175
check out
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWWcFabkWKKjKynSLLeW7qw
for the RUMcars you tube channel

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
Well done that man.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
indeed well done ! i meant no slur , i don't know the car , it's just that i know a man - hi nick - who's sure his Gordon is original but it's heavily , but sympathetically , modified .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

bigwill

• Just Starting
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »
Wow!  Nine replies on a Friday afternoon:  thanks guys!  Bob, Chris is right - I visited Jean last summer and took copious photos, but forgot to take the measurements I needed.  I also managed to keep the gear knob out of all of my photos, but I notice from Micro Marshall's (Jamie?) photo that it's oval.

One supplementary Micro - is the 34cm o/d, i/d or on the centreline of the ring?  Pernickity, I know, but I'm going to get this right.

And do you know, it's actually overcast with light showers today? 

Finally, here's a picture of thee wee beast for you all to see.  Let me know if you'd like to see more

Thank so much, Gents - especially you MM - really appreciate it.

micro marshall

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »
its the outer line of the ring :P :P
peel p50   28 chickens  Land Rover series 3   Ginetta G26  Heinkel 175
check out
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWWcFabkWKKjKynSLLeW7qw
for the RUMcars you tube channel

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »
i for one would like to see more please - and by the way it's not afternoon it's friday night and 22.48 bst and time for nite nites

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Me too.  Hey Dodger is getting good at this!

bigwill

• Just Starting
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
Good morning all.  Just so's you know, it's lunchtime here: we're four hours ahead of you in the summer (ie. now), three in the winter.  It's also raining; very unseasonal, should be about 40C out there just now, instead it's a pleasant 25C or so.  Good day for working on the wee beast

First, thanks for the additional info Micro mate - much appreciated again.

Second, Richard wanted more pics.  Not sure if this should be a new thread, but I'll add them here in small files, and Jean, perhaps you could let me know what the policy on threads is: new one for each subject, or consolidate them by marque, perhaps?

Below you'll find four images.  The first is for the number collectors out there - it's the plate for the beast.  My next concern is trying to date it but I'm not sure I can from this.  So far I have detected a few differences between the various Solytos I've managed to track down, but I'll definitely need another thread for that.  In the meantime, for experts (like Jean-do and Michel), the chassis number is 72598, the type is TC7, and the address is 124 Ave Lacassagne.  It has a solid rear axle, the engine cover has pointed rather than rounded corners at the top, and the doors are rear hung suicide type.  I reckon that makes it 1958 or 1959, but I'm not sure. 

The second pic shows the floor.  It has a bit of rust issue; might polish out, but I suspect not.  It's clearly had a lot of salt water rolling round in there...

The third pic reveals that the sides are rather higher than for a normal canvas topper, and a quick check reveals evidence that it used to be the van type.  I have thought about this long and hard, and decided to replicate the canvas top.  It is not a true restoration, but it does continue the Solyto's development, and makes a more useful machine at the end of it.  It is also a lot easier for me, in that I really don't have the means to handle large sheets of steel and my rollers and wheeling machine are still in the UK (at home in Scotland).  Finally, a steel top would render the machine an oven here, and I don't want to cook myself, the wife or the dog.

The next pic shows the conversion work in hand - trimming to sides to a neat level, then folding them down into a flange (the one at the far side in the pic was one I completed earlier).  I would normally have got it blasted and primed first, but it's so flimsy I've decided to do some serious work to stiffen the shell then get it blasted before doing the final repairs.  The flanges at the rear add massively to the strength of the shell, and I suspect the floor will do much the same at the other end...

There's a lot to do, but I already enjoy it immensely, and my new found friends on this forum have given me a huge boost;  it's great to know that there are supporters out there - we are not alone!

Cheers, Will