Author Topic: Nobel 6 lug bolt wheels and bolts  (Read 9177 times)

Bobbydog

• Chatty
Nobel 6 lug bolt wheels and bolts
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
Hi all I am looking for the above wheels and bolts
Is there any out there please

Bobbydog

• Chatty
Re: Nobel 6 lug bolt wheels and bolts
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »
Still looking, how rare are these wheels

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
Very rare, It took me some years to find just one.

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:05:22 AM »
Ah, we'll, I have done the hardest bit already then,
Each day brings me that little bit closer to some then .thanks for that

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »
If the rest of us knew what to look out for it might help
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
You can use Bond Minicar wheels on a Nobel, if you.re stuck. They are very similar. Bond wheels from mk A to F are fine. but not the mk G, as they are bigger.         Nick Poll.  ( using Jonathan.s laptop while we.re in Holland )
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »
The snag is that Bond wheels are also rare and hard to find and as with Nobel ones quite a few  people are looking for them. I was recently discussing this wheel shortage problem with Steven and I recon you could quite easily make some using other eight inch wheels that have there wheel stud holes more in the center, for instance a schmitt wheel, you could turn the center section out and drill the extra six holes between the bolts that hold the halves together. I have been looking at a schmitt wheel and cant see why it wouldnt work. Has anyone tried this? If it works then new schmitt wheels are available. I know that Nobel wheels have a small rolled over lip in the center hole for added strength but as a new Schmitt panza wheel is of thicker gauge metal that would compensate for this and instead of using the studs with the tapered shape on them a standard 8.8 tensil steel bolt with a spring washer could be used.

Us Isetta owners are also having the same wheel shortage problem. I have only just after several years of owning my Isetta got a correct set of wheels sorted. Bobbydog, I dont know who you are [ we encourage real names on the forum] but you will get there in the end, dont give up. Attend as many microcar rallies with autojumbles as you can and ask as many micronauts as you can.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
In that case I think I have two Nobel wheels, Bob. Also have some Bond ones. A job to do was to dig them out and ID them. I also found some Scootacar wheels, keeping them obviously. Isetta wheels used to be no prob unless you wanted the offset third back wheel. I still have a split rim early wheel. The other wheel is from the Sidecar now gone to lockdown. I think I also have a Goggo 700 wheel or two.

I think I could direct you to a source of 8 inch wheels either to convert or converted without the expense of using Schmitt wheels. The true Panzer wheel is German but newer stock has come from Britain and I not so sure it is as thick. Please ignore theories on unsprung weight..... The Hallam's car used to be on Nob wheels with converter centres didn't it? He left them like that to irritate people.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »
Well here is your chance Bobbydog. Contact Al whilst he is having a sort out. I remember Mike Hallams wheels! I'm amazed it passed the MOT!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »
don't hold your breath bobbydog al's clearout has been happening ever since i've been on the forum  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
is a wheel a safety critical part?    with wriggling insurance companies these days (maybe always) is it advisable to notify them that non original parts are in use? I guess no problems with horns or light switches  or carburettor??  but wheels- different thickness of steel used maybe different spec steel, as soon as any welding is added changing properties is anither big question. 
Some of us will remember mini cast alloy wheel spacers and adding a scew-on stud extender of course not notified but the 60's were a very diifferent motoring period

Perhaps Harrington group can remanufacture (as per the many bumpers)  Taiwan?? or somewhere similar?  I saw lots of roadside enginering and welding in every town, village and even open roadside during my visit to North India, a little more time and I am sure there would be someone with a big press who would produce them overnight!!!!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »
We are talking about low speed low load vehicles here. No mention was made of any welding either. There are a lot of microcars running around on corroded and metal fatigued wheels, case in point, rear schmitt wheels that are now failing at speed. A new wheel albiet modifed has got to be safer than the a fore mentioned. I have handled those new panza wheels, they are tough, thats why they got nick named Panzer wheels! I would have no qualms at all about using them on a Nobel. A lot safer than a 60 year old one made from inferiour post war steel.

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »
I have private messages big al
Am awaiting a response
And is it really my birthday
Hope so

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:32 AM »
I would have thought that the ORIGINAL wheels could have been melted down Panzer wheels.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
Who knows, perhaps they are! They have lasted over fifty years on the cars which cannot be bad and lets face it , when they made schmitts they didnt expect lunatics like us to still be driving them all this time on. They probably made them with a five year life expectancy. I can understand Ians safety concerns when messing with wheels but I honestly dont think my proposal would have been at all dangerous but at the end of the day we have to make personal decisions on these issues. I certainly wouldnt weld a  wheel new or old. I would have thought that anyone who is concern with vehicle safely to a greater degree would steer clear of 50 year old microcars all together. :D  I think Steven from California was going to look into adapting trailer wheels but I'm not sure that would work because they are mostly tubeless and have al swage flaring inwards from the rim which I think would foul the bolting on area. We wont know until someone tries it.