Author Topic: scmitt period street scene  (Read 8446 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
scmitt period street scene
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E149-Orig-Slide-Old-English-Street-Scene-3-Wheel-Micro-Car-1960s-Kodachrome-/290900172140?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item43bb005d6c#ht_637wt_1255

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB131-Original-Slide-1962-Street-Scene-Vintage-Cars-Bikes-3-wheel-micro-Car-/290897710257?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item43badaccb1#ht_636wt_1255

what else is there here ?
pic 2  what is alongside the cyclist, and to the left , in the second photo ?there are at least 4 vw beetles there .
pic 1  although sold as an english street scene those are not english reg. numbers are they ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:20:55 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: scmitt period street scene
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:32:31 PM »
Annoyingly familiar looking bit of road but I do not think it is Oxford.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »

what else is there here ?
pic 2  what is alongside the cyclist, and to the left , in the second photo ?there are at least 4 vw beetles there .
pic 1  although sold as an english street scene those are not english reg. numbers are they ?

I'd say it's an early split-screen Volvo PV544 alongside the cyclist. I'd also hazard those plates are early Swedish too. Excuse me whilst I go check a moment....

EDIT:  They're Denmark plates. Zooming on the Beetle alongside the Messerschmitt, the plate is two letters, then two numbers and a gap and three more numbers, and being white on black, it's pre 1976.

EDIT 2;  Oops, I didn't notice the plate question was for the second picture. I was still looking at the first. Scroll down a couple of posts for more sense....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:43:54 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
They're Denmark plates. Zooming on the Beetle alongside the Messerschmitt, the plate is two letters, then two numbers and a gap and three more numbers, and being white on black, it's pre 1976.

So what are all these Danes/Swedes doing driving their cars in England?  Sounds like a good mystery.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »
 I reckon this one is somewhere in Denmark, due to the aforementioned Danish plate on the Beetle alongside the Messerschmitt and what I can see of other plates also looking very Danish. I can't see anything typically British in the cars scattered around, which seems to be mostly Simca Verdettes & Ford Taunus's and such types. Plus, that bus just about to come up behind the cyclist. If it were Oxford at that time, the bus would be red with green bits...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:40:58 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
 This one though is definitely England, with typically British cars and typically British plates, just the Messerschmitt has a ridiculously small single-line motorcycle plate on it and a weird sort of back bumper(?)  I also reckon it actually is Oxford. It looks suspiciously like the Church of St Mary, half way up the High Street before you get to Magdalen Bridge, with the Messerschmitt heading away from the bridge and on into town at a rate of knots.  Maybe there's a sale on in the shops in Cornmarket street, or he wants to beat the 1300 to the steps of Carfax Tower.....  

Or maybe it's Basil, road-testing the then-new Silver Bazzer....  ;D

In short, the two pictures aren't related to each other.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:46:42 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »
First pic. They our driving on our side of the road in correctly handed cars. When did Sweden change sides of the road? Before some of these cars were made I think. On the other hand historic cities get a lot of tourists. The schmitt might even be the famous Scandinavian couple who slept in their car taking in turns to be on top. They stopped at Basil's as their car had a problem. That said I do not think this is Oxford.

To the Schmitt. Interesting bit of trim on the back. You will note that this car is a British specification Schmitt and not a Continental specification one. Not a clincher but it has a four leg boot rack not a three. If the number is not British then my guess is it is a serviceman in a foreign registered car but to British spec.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:43:59 AM »
Checked it not using Google who have it wrapped up in scaffolding in some of the pictures. It is the High in Oxford. What was fooling me is that the facade has been renovated and the inconsistency of the imaging of the tower and spire during work. It has a crooked spire that required major surgery.

So to add to the story of the serviceman in his foreign registered car. The Customs office used to be just along from there where you would get your forces import pass stamped before going up the road to get your registration number issued. Done it myself a few times.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:48:49 AM »
Second pic is abroad as the other side of the road, as are steering wheels. The schmitt is to continental pattern of lighting. I would love to say it is a three point mounted rack but I think not.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
great input you two. pic.2 what on earth is that scooter left foreground - very unusual and would like to see a proper picture of it
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
To gloomy to tell. Needs someone who can fiddle wih pics. I assumed it was a NSU Prima.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
this is as enhanced as I can do

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
i don't recognise the scooter at all still

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »
Looks like a Lambretta LD150

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
 One had the pleasure of the company of Ian Jenkins this morning bringing a bundle of old Kabinews's to finally complete my 35-year run of those. (big ta again Ian  :-*  ) Also presented from Ian was the attached postcard, showing the same view as the cars in post #5 above but a bit further back down the road and quite a bit earlier in time. No bubblecar interest in this one, but there's the Red & Green buses of the Oxford Bus Company as I mentioned again earlier.

Oh, and I want the number plate off that Gold Jowett Javelin; WFC 11, to go with WFC 193 (Daimler Conquest) & WFC 308 (Morris Oxford Series II) that I've already got....  :)