Author Topic: Number Plates - UK  (Read 37353 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Number Plates - UK
« on: May 08, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »
So I need some new number plates.

Big numbers - 3 1/2"
Big plates - rectangle at the front and square at the back with silver boarder.
Pressed aluminium silver and black and preferably the same type face as used in 1955.

anyone had any good experiences - recommend a number plate company?

(like the ones in my photos)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Number Plates - UK
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
 Ah, a set of Taylor Numo plates! You might not get anything exactly like those, but Framptons & Tippers both now seem to do decent passable pressed 3 1/2 plates that I would say are in an authentic 1950s style. In both cases it might well be worth talking to them and see if they can tell you if they've got any genuine old fonts on the rack.

Beware of those who use ghastly over-thin plates with totally unauthentic fonts. They stick out half a mile on the line. I've only bought repro '70s reflective plates so-far but every now & then I see a plate maker at places like Beauliu etc, and one of their styles jumps out as being "just right". You just have to take a look around as not all makers have the same fonts or the same "eye" for what font & backing goes together.  If you ever get the chance, I can generally say if a particular style is particularly authentic for what dateline if I see a picture of it....

http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

http://pl8s.co.uk/index.html   (Framptons)

If I had to be put on the spot here & now, looking at their websites, the Tippers plate is the one I'd go for myself as regards "niceness" of style....

FURTHER;

From whom did the current plates on the Hammond Gordon come from? If these are repo plates as I think they might be, then they are absolutely detail-perfect for genuine 1950s Homo Ltd (Stop tittering!) & Green Bros Ltd plates....

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:01:10 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »
Great help Stuart.  Thanks very much.
I will only buy them once so I want to get as authentic as possible.

Tippers do look like they have it sorted and not over expensive.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
I recently had a plate made by Frampton which I was pleased with but its more motorcycle style. They were the only people I could find  who would make one the custom dimensions I wanted. Stuarts the plate expert though. If he says Tippers of Benfleet, then Tippers it should be! I've used them before, I think they made the rear plate on your schmitt Barry. 

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »
Bob

I was really worried about using Tippers of Benfleet as they have been useless in the past.  All of the numbers fell out of one plate that I had made there.

Check Stuarts link - Its Tippers of St Austell Cornwall.

Barry

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »
Bob

I was really worried about using Tippers of Benfleet as they have been useless in the past.  All of the numbers fell out of one plate that I had made there.

Check Stuarts link - Its Tippers of St Austell Cornwall.

Barry

One or the others of Tippers & Framptons have moved/sold out just recently, so it's almost certainly the same basic company. I'm not sure if Steve Framption is moving/selling up also as he has been selling off a lot of old stock on eBay just recently.  Also, I make no recommendations as regards quality, only by appearance, as I've never dealt (yet) with either of 'em.  Grant's plate on the front of his Trident came from Tippers I believe via a stand at the NEC, and that seems to be pretty good quality to me.

Can't say I'm over-wild on Frampton's motorcycyle plate styles myself. Certainly I've never came across any authentic bike plates looking anywhere near their font.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:34:45 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »
 Another good plate; Chestnut Registrations. Scroll down the types of Vintage ar Plates they offer to the plate showing IR 1948. The font is again absolutely perfect for Homo/Prestige/Car Plates Ltd & Green Bros plates of the '50s. The backing is more early 1960s Prestige/Car Plates Ltd though than 1950s Homo. But this is the best looking plate yet in my opinion....

http://www.chestnut-registrations.co.uk/vintageplates.aspx

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »
I like the flat top '3' and nice round bottoms (3 & 5) on my old LDP 135

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
back to square one . whats wrong with the ones you have already ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »
They have the wrong number on them!
I put LDP 135 on a retention certificate when I though I might lose the number - That time when I couldn't get an answer out of DVLA about what would happen to registration numbers when pre 60 cars no longer needed an MOT.
I didn't want to lose the number as its worth more than the car.

As it happens you can probably still sell the number on a car without an MOT - if it has had an MOT...eyc.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »
 In other words you've still stripped a genuine number off it's genuine car?!

*sigh, that's me out....

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
barry i just noticed you have changed your i.d. - you might want to go back undercover  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:06:49 PM »
The number could have stayed with the car and it may have been worthless.

I don't know if you are made of money Stuart but it's good practice not to throw away £2000+ on a car that will never be worth anything.

I still have the number for three years and I will keep the car.

Someone may want to reunite the number with the car, in which case just give me a few thousand pounds and you can do what you want with it.

I got married in 1993 and used the car as our wedding transport.  I have had it since 1980.

I have tried to keep the number on it but couldn't afford to give away the value of the plate.

DVLA could not give any reassurance so I had to do what I thought best.

I will get just as much fun out of the car with a different number plate.

(pushing the bounds of Microcar content but the number plate info will be good for the small cars)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:17:31 PM by Barry »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
with you all the way barry  :)

nice to see you have an eye for a figure with a rounded bottom - not sure about the flat top though  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:20:46 PM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 09:31:41 PM »
when did they stop hand painting number plates ? my dads 1962 Trobike had them and many  if not most early 50's Bonds seemed to have them plain black steel plates with no surround .