Author Topic: Number Plates - UK  (Read 37350 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Number Plates - UK
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
Martin MacKeever's Micro Pub after one to many, was it Belgium, beers? The only bar to have a Peel in the window and number plates supplied by Root's Rectangles. Lummie, I am seeing a froth of bubbles. Just strap me to the top of your 1300 and take me home, Driver. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 07:55:40 AM »
Dont worry Barry. Stuart in effect did the same thing with his Mini Comtesse.

I'm pretty sure that Tippers of Cornwall is the same firm. I think I'm safe in saying that numbers cannot fall off a pressed ali plate.
I had designaplate on ebay do my Isetta ones and am very pleased with them, cheap too. Stuart recommended them. Cheers Stuart.

I thought they were different firms Bob but you are right.  Benfleet is Peter Tipper     http://www.tipper-signs.co.uk/
Cornwall Tipper seems much more professional.     http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/
But it does say on the Benfleet site that they have a sister company Tippers Vintage Plates - Cornwall.
Chestnut registrations declined to quote    http://www.chestnut-registrations.co.uk/

I have a quote for exactly what I am looking for from Tippers in Cornwall and will probably go for them.
Nearly used a place in Birmingham but found out they just sub-out the number plates.    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230961202228?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Will let you know how I get on.

(I know you will be interested Bob - I will add three sets of plates for the Invacar chassis which will soon be prepared for MOT and registration as trikes.  If you can find a body, you could own one?)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:00:39 AM by Barry »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
Oh whoopydo!!   I will add it to my collection along side my Iron lung and glass eyeballs. ;D ;D

Back to plates, what do you think of this font? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121003343989?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:36:38 AM by Bob Purton »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
Not sure!  We need a photographic history of plates.  

I think, but i'm not sure, that the '2' looks a bit modern with flat tops and the '6' looks a bit square

Stuarts plate 572 JPJ does have flat top '2's but the figures are nice and bold.

Definately should be 3 1/2" figures.

My Morris has its original plates and they are very bold and round.  There must be a record of the Fonts used somewhere (Stuart).
My '3' is completely different to Stuarts 503 RKE
My Morris plates are 3mm thick.  The thick plates offered by Tipper are 2mm.  normal is 16 gauge (1.5mm).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:32:00 AM by Barry »

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 10:46:57 AM »
My bubble has raised numbers added on and very nice too, someone pinched the number on the minitruck for some yuppie ! hence I am not to keen on numberplate transfers as you do not have much chance of meeting someone on a rally field that owned that vehicle years before thank God you cannot pinch or sell  the tractor registrations!
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Martin MacKeever's Micro Pub after one to many, was it Belgium, beers? The only bar to have a Peel in the window and number plates supplied by Root's Rectangles. Lummie, I am seeing a froth of bubbles. Just strap me to the top of your 1300 and take me home, Driver. 

Do I get a prize Stuart? No one else will understand the answer.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
 It looks like you do Alan.  :) But then again, you've got half the prize sat in your shed already!  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »
Its time for a cold shower!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
Dont worry Barry. Stuart in effect did the same thing with his Mini Comtesse.

I'm pretty sure that Tippers of Cornwall is the same firm. I think I'm safe in saying that numbers cannot fall off a pressed ali plate.
I had designaplate on ebay do my Isetta ones and am very pleased with them, cheap too. Stuart recommended them. Cheers Stuart.

My friend spotted an Isetta with the same numberplate as yours at Battlesbridge Bob!

Now on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151581058653076&set=a.475261593075.261348.759143075&type=1&theater

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »
shame that link isn't working for me
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Friends only it seems - here is the download.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
Thanks for the pic Barry. If your friend had stood back further you would see two Isetta's and the other was a four wheeler bubble window model. I dont know what happend today at Battlesbridge but micocars were very thin on the ground, in fact its was just the two Isetta's. Good though because the bubble window belonged to Greg Moore, a guy I have conversed with on the Isetta forum a few times but never met before so that was nice to finally meet him. We spent most of the day chatting with folk, the usual thing, undoing the myths perpetrated by top gear. Thumper was awarded a highly commended rosette at the end of the day so a nice end to a good day out.   

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
Well done bob I have spent all day waiting for the unending driving cold rain to stop - it didn't ! Couldn't even open the garage to sort out tent, cooker etc. Etc. For Beaulieu in a few days time . Miserable weather >:(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
Thanks for the pic Barry. If your friend had stood back further you would see two Isetta's and the other was a four wheeler bubble window model. I dont know what happend today at Battlesbridge but micocars were very thin on the ground, in fact its was just the two Isetta's. Good though because the bubble window belonged to Greg Moore, a guy I have conversed with on the Isetta forum a few times but never met before so that was nice to finally meet him. We spent most of the day chatting with folk, the usual thing, undoing the myths perpetrated by top gear. Thumper was awarded a highly commended rosette at the end of the day so a nice end to a good day out.   

I tried to contact Greg for advice a few months ago but Ive lost contact deatails.  I think he has obtained and welded replacement panels on his Isetta / Isettas and much more.
I used to be in touch but his emails must have changed.

Glad you had a good time, won an award and hopefully missed the rain?  Did you drive or use the trailer?

My friend Neil always keeps a look-out for microcars for me.  He is amused rather than enthusiastic about our love.  More of a  V8 man / TVR / Ford Ecsorts RS / Le Mans  etc.  But that's the good thing about us all isn't it.  Have our own particular area or interest  but always appreciate that of others.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »
Well done bob I have spent all day waiting for the unending driving cold rain to stop - it didn't ! Couldn't even open the garage to sort out tent, cooker etc. Etc. For Beaulieu in a few days time . Miserable weather >:(

The weather aint getting any better I'm afraid..............