Author Topic: Bosch wiper motor thread size  (Read 6256 times)

golo2

• Chatty
Bosch wiper motor thread size
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »
I expect to be overwhelmed with ooozing expertise on this one!

Isetta car Bosch wiper motor threads need a clean and I need to find / make nuts and the odd top hat cap thingy that goes over the nuts on the door outside

All help/ advice greatly appreciated.
Tried all my assorted  taps metric fine , whitworth, BSP etc no luck so far

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Bosch wiper motor thread size
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
i have various spare motors from micro's i dont know the Isetta one , or the schmitt one , pics please - anyone - of both and i will have a look for you

also please isetta 6v or 12v

mmesserschmitt 6v or 12v

thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:59:59 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »
mine is metric 10 x 0.75 fine thread
good luck finding nuts like that.

Schäper in Germany may have them:
http://www.oldtimerteile.net/showgroup.php?page=9&id=8_BMW-Isetta---Elektrik#.UajnOZV2mJc

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
Yes not so easy to match. I think the wiper motor for Isetta and Trienkel have shared parts both being Bosch. Messerschmitt and others are not. I never tried interchanging the parts as I have been lucky enough to always have enough bits to repair the next one. That will not last for ever. Interestingly I found a load of old European radio/auto switches at Mannhiem and they seem to use the same thread. So it might be common in the electrics world rather than the auto one save for these few fitments which are supplied by the electrics company not the automotive element.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
These guys have got to be worth a try, they've only got fine and extra fine in stock, but state Metric Super Fine (available to order)

http://www.stainlessautomotivefastenings.co.uk/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »
Thank you --in only 6hrs I have a variety of solutions!!  Looks like Oldtiemer -forget the making!! I will try and take a picture and see if the offer of possible bits here work out. The little Isetta that I started to rebuild about 10 yrs ago is getting close to road ready -bit like oven ready but not so hot- and among my 6 or 8 wiper motors none have the nuts etc. I have managed to find many small parts but after 10 yrs and so many Quality Street tins full of useful stuff -oil pumps, rockers and covers, push rods, broken camshafts used bearings, done in kingpins and much more that I wonder why I kept them, not a wonder some parts have disappeared.

May even be ready for this years National.

Thanks again
Ian J   The Abingdon enthusiast

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 04:41:03 AM »
If you manage to get those bits from Oldtimer, try and get some extras you can use later to trade with the natives
There is a minimum shipping charge so you might as well load up

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
Are there any photos of schmitt wiper motors ? That dealer seems to offer 2 different isetta types
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »
Well for a start there is single and twin armed original wiper motors. There is the angle of the dangle cleaned each stroke. There is the Italian one, the French one, could be an Argentine clone still made as there is for the Regulator etc. and I have no doubt that BMW/Bosch changed spec at some point in construction, probably earlier, rather than later. Then there is aftermarket units of very similar style from aftermarket Bosch rear wash wipe kits. These were then copied in the East and flogged with various names on but are effectively clone copies. Lastly you can fit later wash wipe units that have taken the Bosch spec and fullfil the roll cheaply without being correct at all. As far as I am aware none of those units will fit a Messerschmitt without modification. The key one being reaming out the hole in the canopy. Then if you want to put a Schmitt motor back on the thing is as loose as to be useless unless clamped up tighter than it should be. That then eventually leads to the motor base failing or undue tension on the wiper spindle which takes out the weak drive gearing. Do not do it. Bosch motors are oval, Schmitt ones are square shaped, they are not the same.

Schmitt motors are faster too.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs