Author Topic: Pictures of Berkeley triple engine  (Read 6220 times)

Bobbydog

• Chatty
Pictures of Berkeley triple engine
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
Please ,I am needing help
I have a Berkeley triple engine and still requiring some pictures of the connection twixt engine to gearbox to final drive, if any of you have this
 Or who can take a pic of someone's please do so as Beaulieu in nearly upon us and I want to know what I am on about
Cheers in advance

messerschmitt

• Chatty
Re: Pictures of Berkeley triple engine
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
The diff connects with a chain from the gearbox final drive sprocket to the diff sprocket - that is all.

do you mean the engine and diff cradle that everything mounts into? 

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
from the top!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunivroc/1924168594/

You can see the bar on the front. This mounts to two engine mounts either side of the engine and also into the front of the engine between the barrels.

At the back is a cradle with a large engine mount and two 'wings' which hold the diff and mean you can adjust it through slots.

The basic cradle and frame is almost identical to the one from a T60 or an SE328/B65

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
That pic is not showing the drives between engine/g/box and final drive
But thanks for giving me the pic

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »
That pic is not showing the drives between engine/g/box and final drive
But thanks for giving me the pic
it is nothing more than a chain!

Frankly, you cannot see how it mounts when it is connected inside a car because the clever people at Biggleswade hid it under a strengthening bar and a petrol tank and put three carburettors in the way just to make it even more difficult. And no one in their right mind is going to undo the diff unnecessarily just to take the engine out and take you a photo!

It's a three cylinder, air cooled bike engine with a dirty great big casing on one side that says Excelsior! It looks identical too, to a Berkeley Excelsior talisman twin, but with an extra barrel and an extra carb or two. A little bit wider as well!

That can't be difficult to look out for!

When you find one, ask if they have a set of B95 chaincases too. I'd like a second spare pair.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »
I'm almost afraid to ask but have you tried the Berkeley Enthusiasts Club?

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »
I have, and they only direct me the the web page

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »
what exactly do you need? If you already have an engine, do you need the diff?, the chain?, the engine cradle? or what?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
There are lots of enthusiastic Berkeley owners in the UK that are also looking for triples for there Berkeley's. I personally think it would be a great shame to lose one to the USA to be fitted to a non Berkeley car. Just my opinion, views will vary.

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »
Messer. Schmitt  I have an engine, but I am after a complete engine gearbox set up.

Or,  I was...................
Mr purton is putting a good case forward. ......
Even though I do purchase items for others apart from myself, it's going to grieve me to say this, and I am probably going o lose business, but here goes.......

Yes I agree with you wholeheartedly bob, ALL items should stay in the UK

Oh, buggers, I done it now..........

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »
Well I wouldnt go as far as to say ALL items. Anyway, the market dictates, I was just giving an opinion.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
I see, so the prob is because it is not going into a Berk its 'free' as to where things mount. Except with the correct engine and gearbox/diff frame and plates, it is not. If you have those and the engine, gearbox and diff it is pretty much only possible to assemble them four ways. Two will not fit the bits and one will see the diff cocking its leg like a keen Jack Russell so it should be reasonably quick to work out the correct order of parts. Thereafter its a case of tensioning everything up and realizing what a crude a nasty system this is to live with. Add in not tunning the engine correctly and melting the middle piston and you will start looking for a Honda 600 engine or something which is easier to use, really, even in a Berkeley. That said those who fettle there triples get them to go like the clappers and a grand sight it is to.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs