Author Topic: Has the world gone totally mad ?  (Read 3022 times)

Axiam

• Occasional
Has the world gone totally mad ?
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:16:31 PM »
I often follow the forum and find many of the topics interesting.  I drive a 'new' microcar but do have any interest in the old ones from the 60's hence why I joined the forum.  What I can't understand however is the obsession with Peels or am I missing some thing ?.  They are no more than childrens toys that can't be used as an every day car nor even on a rally road run.  The price they seem to command is stupid and this can only reflect on the people out there that are willing to pay these prices. 
Can we please see more intersting debates by more members other than the 'Peel brigade' who in my opinion and only trying to justify the prices thay have paid for their Fisherprice toys.
What about more on Microcar, Axiam, Smartcar etc. as well as Trojan, bond, Isetta and Invalid cars ?
 ???

witney44

Re: Has the world gone totally mad ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:52:47 PM »
Yes, it has, but it started years ago!  When I had my two Peel P50s in1974/6 I used one of them for my only means of transport over 9 months. Even going out on 20 mile runs some nights. Never thought of taking any tools with me.
 Last year many Peels were taken back to the Isle of Man and driven around the Island. Lots of folk find them very appealing! I haven't any cars at the moment but still have a laugh of All the items on the Forum.
Maybe the owners of the o6
 'New' microcar in RumCar News or post something on here.
Best Wishes. Rob.

PS Rumcar News has a series of tests on 21st century microcars.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:11:37 PM by witney44 »

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:19:50 PM »
Whats an Axiam - is it one of those motorised wheelchairs?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 08:00:27 PM »
Whoops Trident, Is that a red rag to a bull?  May be our friend Aixam will tell us all about his beautiful little car and post a picture even, after he has put it on the Register of course! Oh she who must be obeyed according to Witney!!!???!!!!
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:57 AM »
An Axiam's far too modern for me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:19:19 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

2Peels

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:12:50 AM »
Trident, yes, it must be a modern wheelchair!

inacoma

Variety is the spice of life.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »
Hi All.

The Forum is what we all make it.

If there is lots of stuff about Peels, then it's because people who are interested are spending time, effort and money enjoying them, and are using the Forum to discuss them.

If people are interested in modern stuff, then let them post it on the Forum, there will be people who read it and some of what is written will be of interest to some of the other Forum users.

Time is moving on, what is modern now will be old hat in 20 years, and eventualy if you have a 2000 model Axiam or anything it will be of value and quite rare.

Peels are great and because of their quirky design and rarity they will always be popular, fun and valuable. Most can't afford a mint condition Peel, even if one came up for sale.

Diversity is what is so great about Rumcars.

My interests at the Mo. are mainly Acomas and other, sans permis French cars, but I would buy anything that came up at the right price, so my interests could go in other directions. Eventualy when the kids are older and I have more expendable dosh I may even have a Peel ?

Lets all be possitive about each others interests.

All the best to all.

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
Hi Axaim. I'll talk to you about Axaims and the like. How do you find the brakes on your Axaim? I ask because the brakes on my Microcar virgo leave a little to be desired, they work of course but one does have to exert considerable pressure to pull up sharp! Im told that the latter model had bigger discs and are better, how would you rate yours and what year is it? I dont know if the Ligier is any better not having had the chance to drive one yet. I must say however that I do enjoy driving the Virgo especially out on the open road, not so much the stop start of urban driving. Have you seen the price of the new electric Axaim? Shocking, you could buy about a third of a Peel for the price!! Do you own any other micro's?  Regards, Bob Purton

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »
Hi Axiam, I don
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:38:24 PM by blob »

Neil Hoskins

• Occasional
  • NoJags Neil
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »
Bob, the brakes on my Ligier are similar to what you describe.  What you're noticing is probably due to a lack of servo-assistance, which nearly all modern "proper" cars have.  It suits me just fine: if the brakes are powerful enough to lock the wheels then they're powerful enough IMO.  It comes as a bit of a shock when I get back in the Toyota, though.

darrg

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 11:41:01 AM »
Lets all be possitive about each others interests.

I think this is the wisest thing that can be said here, before the gloves start coming off!

Any fisticuffs and I'll start wielding supreme executive power ....