Author Topic: Ligier JS4 or JS6 wanted  (Read 8637 times)

TomBBC

• Just Starting
Ligier JS4 or JS6 wanted
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
Greetings RUMCars members!

I'm desperately looking for a VSP Ligier JS4 or a JS6 in good working and roadworthy condition to hire (or buy) for a documentary film we are making for the BBC about the post war boom in car ownership. We are filming a section on microcars ( Isetta etc) and I'd like to include something on the post 1970 French initiative in getting people on the road without the need for a driving license.

I've located one in Beziers in the South of France...but ideally it would be great if any one on this forum could point me in the direction of one that is nearer to London.

Please don't hesitate to reply to this thread if you think you might be able give me any advice or pointers!

Thanks!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Ligier JS4 or JS6 wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:45:47 PM »
hi Tom i  just googled and seen pics of one in amsterdam - might be easier to get to ? i had never heard of one before and suspect there might not be one in U.K.
You could try DWAC the dutch micro car club they are very active and might know the owner. http://www.dwac.eu/
Surely if doing the post-war story you would firstly need the British Bond Minicar 1949 - this started it all off ! Also British The Gordon 1954 . The Isetta, Heinkel , Messerschmitt angle is just the German copying the British scene  ;)

oh and pedants corner - thought something looked wrong - it's licence not license  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:31:51 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
Best served by talking to one of the French collectors and getting the real knowledge written into the text and a visit for filming. I know that is not the way filming works once a Director has decided what history is to be, and to be shown, but often it is more accurate and better produced as your dealing with interesting cars and people and not preconceived ideas and London. Step forward Jean-Do and chums to steal the show.

I am not so sure of the whereabouts of an early Ligier in Britain but the Bubblecar Museum had later ones including mine. The worst car I have ever driven, and that is saying something as I have driven some real clangers. Indeed there is a more interesting and funny TV program in itself, 5 proper car nuts offering their five worst drives over 5 nights. Sunday the winner is revealed and the prize is Noel Edmunds does London to Edinburough in it. If that Ligier was an improvement on the JS4 or JS6 then you have a real good time driving that on an old fashioned trunk route. The French must of hated 16 year olds as much as me. I will stick to my 1955 designed Goggomobil which probably will not appear in the program despite being involved in the creation of both Mini and Imp, our best known second generation post war small cars, one of which is guaranteed to be in it 'as the killer of the Bubblecar' amongst other untrue popular myths and hype. Still I will not find out as I got rid of my TV and licence as it was to full of wrong factual information and propaganda, let alone the pure visual garbage of soaps etc. to be taken seriously anymore. Probably put you off my info but it is there for what it is as I hope you make a fine peace of motoring journalism in the way Top Gear isn't.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:43:09 PM »
Richard, where have you been? What have you been doing for the last twenty years? ;D ;D ;D

Of course there are some in the uk. Barry of this forum has one for a start, I think its on loan to the Bubblecar museum thiough. I'm there over the weekend so will let you know and take photo's. Finding a road legal one may not be so easy. Perry had onre but I think he sold it. Come to think of it hasnt Jean got one?

Yep, check out Barry's signiture car list,  JS4.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:48:55 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
i'm sorry bob i know it's me i just have a huge blind spot - i have totally ignored almost all post '65 micro cars . i think they are all pretty much awful so haven't registered them at all  :)

someone prove me wrong please - bring them on . Tom may be interested as well as me

pedantic i know but barry calls his a Legier JS4 - and i've just googled that and it shows the confusion caused by people mis-spelling their cars . Now Bourrort shows up on a search engine as bob posted a topic under that name
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:29:22 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
Here are my Sans Permis.  None are registered for use in the uK.
Engines all worked last year!
Ligier is very slow - might be the wrong drive belt or timing - It is Perry's old one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:52:44 PM by Barry »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »
And the Lawil 250cc of course.

TomBBC

• Just Starting
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
Thanks for the helpful responses everyone

I have already been in touch with Jean Hammond before I posted who tells me that the  Ligier she has is only a static exhibit these days.  But thank you for the very useful tip re Holland. My team have left Jean Do at BSB a message already and are hoping to hear back shortly.

Re the Goggomoblie etc - of course the film will be also featuring an array of early British and European microcars also but so far a working Ligier is proving the hardest to locate - hence the specific post.  Barry, would it be possible to talk to you about your collection if you have a moment?

We are also hoping to attend the Malvern National event at the end of August so I hope to see some of you there.

many thanks

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
Happy to talk Tom.

Private message sent for contact details.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
Thanks for the helpful responses everyone

I have already been in touch with Jean Hammond before I posted who tells me that the  Ligier she has is only a static exhibit these days.  But thank you for the very useful tip re Holland. My team have left Jean Do at BSB a message already and are hoping to hear back shortly.

Re the Goggomoblie etc - of course the film will be also featuring an array of early British and European microcars also but so far a working Ligier is proving the hardest to locate - hence the specific post.  Barry, would it be possible to talk to you about your collection if you have a moment?

We are also hoping to attend the Malvern National event at the end of August so I hope to see some of you there.

many thanks

I am now much more sympathetic on hearing that there could be a visit to Malvern NMCR and its not the normal 'Have you a live Tyrannosaurus for next Tuesday' call I so often get. I also think you will find other more cantankerous souls more helpful having stated that. Maybe this could be the call for 2013 to be San Permis year at the NMCR despite that some of us are not sure they are micros, bla, hype, whinge. It does not matter if the enthusiasm is there and a reason to encourage that particular group to make an effort that year. Over to Grant, Ray and Granville plus Nick Haddon on that one I guess. From a filming point of view it could present a lot to the cutting room for a nice few minutes air time as Malvern, if not busy with multiple events, has hardstanding spare to use.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs