Author Topic: 'Ello all. Noob here...  (Read 27713 times)

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
'Ello all. Noob here...
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
Hi all,

I've been looking in for a while and thought it was about time I signed up.

I'm a sufferer from CHPD*, so it was only a matter of time before I bought something quirky.

My other cars are mainly DAFs, and I own a 33 which I am restoring - currently stripping to a shell for bead blasting - a 33 van, a 32, a 66 estate and lastly a 66 coupe which is my daily DAF. When I'm not 'belting along' as they say in DAF land, my regular hack is a rather tatty smoker of a Rover SD1.

I confess to being the chap who bought the orange Goggo t250 off the bay which I've read that I've paid too much for...hey ho. I guess it was the market rate so far as eBay goes, and much for its sins, eBay is a good barometer of what any given thing is worth, useless tatt included of course.

The Goggo only arrived today, having been on holiday when I bid lost me a week, then the recovery company's truck breaking down en route home didn't help. Stilll, it is safely ensconsed at my friend's farm in the rural outskirts of Colchester, Essex.

I broke a golden rule in buying blind which I may well regret. It will be a slow restoration as I learn more about this quirky little car and first stop will be finding a battery for it. It'll be a while until I get to see it still, but I shall report back  when there are more updates. If there is anyone else in the lovely county of Essex that knows these cars and fancies popping round to have a butchers, the kettle never goes cold and I would look forward to seeing you...

ttfn,

Pete.

* CHPD 'Compulsive Heap Purchasing Disorder'
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:44:32 PM by GoggoPete »
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: 'Ello all. Noob here...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
welcome friend . i live nowhere near - but wish you well . micro prices generally are moving up and seem set fair . if it turns out you paid a little too much , i don't remember it , i dare say it will come right in the end . enjoy anyway its' always fun having a new toy  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:05 PM »
Hi
       I am also the owner of a Goggo - in fact I have got the saloon and the coupe - I have not been driving them over the past two years, but maybe I will get them out this Summer - good luck with your new purchase.
                                                                                            Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
Welcome. I'm an Essex boy down in Hornchurch but no nothing about Goggos other than that I like them!

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »
Thanks for the warm reception guys.

Small world Bob, I used to live round the corner from you in Elm Park about 7 years ago before I upped sticks and moved to Rayleigh.
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »
Of course there is a link between Goggo and DAF.

I have had my share of DAF, Good cars. Had a Pick Up which is now restored.  I hope the Goggo is a good buy. Unless you look its hard to know condition but I have had enough to suspect the worst from rust if I can see it. Mechanically they are pretty bomb proof and unless you want to get into unusual stuff, not to silly for bits, though Germany rules. Trim, well it looks nice but it does not prevent use while you sort it out. So fingers crossed on the body.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
Thats funny, Barry of this forum recently upped sticks and moved from Rayleigh to the wilds of Suffolk. Did you ever see a yellow Messerschmitt buzzing around Hornchurch? It was I.

As you are into Daffs, I have a 33 rear windscreen knocking around my workshop, would you be interested in it?

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »
Good luck with your purchase GoggoPete, keep us informed about your restoration. I wonder if it was someone on here who was driving the very original looking UK registered T250 at the Sammy Miller Bike autojumble last year? It pulled up in the car park just as I was going in but had left before I had a chance to go and look at it closely.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
I'm always interested in DAF spares Bob as they are thin on the ground these days and some of the parts prices can be eye-watering. I'm around most weekends and would be happy to relieve you of it for suitable beer tokens! ;) Just let me know!

It's a shame I can't find one for my 66 coupe, took the old girl up to Angelsey a couple of weeks ago and she fared really well until the front windscreen shattered on the A120 on the way home. Fortunately the insurance company will pick up the tag but when I called National Windscreens a couple of weeks ago they told me it was 'special order' and I should have the windscreen fitted before the end of June... ::) That leaves me with smokey Rover which has an insatiable thirst (19mpg on a good day) almost equalled by oil consumption...

I don't remember seeing a yellow Schmitt but it was a while ago and my memory's not as good as it used to be.
Addicted to quirky tatt!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 11:49:29 PM »
Pilkington hold molds for loads of obsolete screens. Probably where they have gone to.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
Yep, that's spot on, Pilkington it is.

There's only one 33 pick-up known to the DAF Owners Club these days, owned by a chap called Tony in Cheltenham. Never seen it in the flesh but it looks good.

All 33s are rare now, there's only +/- 16 on the road now.

Here's mine before I started stripping her down...amazing how much you can squeeze inside 'em... Sorry for the disorientated photos...
Addicted to quirky tatt!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »
interesting photo's but i've now got a stiff neck . you fit the critea for this forum - your a plonker like most of us  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
Lol, cheers Richard! ;D
Addicted to quirky tatt!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »
Yep, that's spot on, Pilkington it is.

There's only one 33 pick-up known to the DAF Owners Club these days, owned by a chap called Tony in Cheltenham. Never seen it in the flesh but it looks good.

All 33s are rare now, there's only +/- 16 on the road now.

Here's mine before I started stripping her down...amazing how much you can squeeze inside 'em... Sorry for the disorientated photos...

Well it used to live at the station masters house at Toddington but maybe its moved down the road a few miles.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
It would be nice to have your Goggo on our Register, see the main RUMCAR web site, and get details by clicking on About the Register on the Home Page.  Also you can find details about RUMCAR NEWS too, our magazine carries an article on Goggos each issue written by Mike O'Ballance who oversees the Goggo section of our Register.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars