Author Topic: 'Ello all. Noob here...  (Read 27706 times)

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
Re: 'Ello all. Noob here...
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
It would be nice to have your Goggo on our Register, see the main RUMCAR web site, and get details by clicking on About the Register on the Home Page.  Also you can find details about RUMCAR NEWS too, our magazine carries an article on Goggos each issue written by Mike O'Ballance who oversees the Goggo section of our Register.  Jean

Yep, not a problem Jean, I should be getting acquainted with the old girl tomorrow. Who's the best person to PM the details to (save a tree and all that)?
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
your i.d. is GoggoPete . did you just think you were asking for trouble calling yourself DAFPete - i suppose you could be right  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
Well, maybe but I didn't think DAFs would qualify as a microcar...I've been called worse. ;)
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 07:28:08 PM »
There is a Daff in the Hammond Collection, and so long as the engine size is under 700 cc's it qualifies.
With regard to the Register as I suggested if you read about it on the main website then download the form that needs to be completed for each car and relay the whole lot to Alastair (alastair.rumcars@btinternet.com).  We can raise an invoice on PayPal for the fees.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
That is a very rare DAF then Jean as it would be a 600cc and so one of the first models from the late '50's/early '60s. I did not think that there would be any of those in this country, as the import volume at that time would have been minimal if at all. The earliest car I know of (which isn't roadworthy) is a 31 model but that, like its 'A' body predecessors, is a 747cc, as is my DAF33.

I'll download the form when I'm back at work. I was just trying to save paper which is de rigeur these days or so it seems. I wasn't trying to be tight and evade the £1.50 registration fee btw... ;)
Addicted to quirky tatt!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »
Saving paper is fine, its just that there are certain things that Alastair needs know to keep our Register uniform, also he needs photographs.  Obviously this can all be scanned back to him via email.
We are hoping to be able to set up the website so the form can be completed on line and payment made via PayPal on line too, similar to the collecting of RUMCAR NEWS subscriptions but so far we have not found the expert to set it up for us .  The web site itself needs a face lift too, but we have not found a volunteer yet to assist Jim who is our very hard pressed American based web master and guru of the Forum.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
goggopete
do you need a workshop manual for your goggo purchase?

If so, I have to  photocopy mine for another goggo owner in my village.

As I can do a second copy at the same time.

Campbell

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »
Campbell, you are an absolute lifesaver - yes please!!!

Please do let me know what I owe you, I'm most grateful!
Addicted to quirky tatt!

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »
Campbell, you are an absolute lifesaver - yes please!!!

Please do let me know what I owe you, I'm most grateful!

send me a PM with your address and I shall get my reward in heaven! (I only have to press 2 instead of 1 on the photocopier).

Surprisingly, there is a Goggo owner in my village!!!! His is a 57, bought at the Bywell auction a few years back.

He liked my Messerschmitt and Bond a lot.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:05:01 PM by messerschmitt »

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »
PM sent!

A manual will be a real boon.

Had a first look at her today. Hooked up a 063 battery from one of the DAFs...it was all that was to hand (what code battery should it have), and she started on the first turn of the key, well chuffed! :)

http://youtu.be/kBSuR8SALLo

She didn't want to pull away without a LOT of revs. I think the brakes are binding. Had a look at the rear ones, broken adjuster on one side and couldn't get drums off. Used landlord's tractor hub-puller but gave up in end for fear of damaging hub and wanting for a workshop manual...

Also found that she leaves a trail of oil so somewhere I have an engine or transmission leak - there's a fair bit covering the underside of the engine/box. At least it is keeping some rust at bay... ;D
Addicted to quirky tatt!

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »
PM sent!

A manual will be a real boon.

Had a first look at her today. Hooked up a 063 battery from one of the DAFs...it was all that was to hand (what code battery should it have), and she started on the first turn of the key, well chuffed! :)

http://youtu.be/kBSuR8SALLo

She didn't want to pull away without a LOT of revs. I think the brakes are binding. Had a look at the rear ones, broken adjuster on one side and couldn't get drums off. Used landlord's tractor hub-puller but gave up in end for fear of damaging hub and wanting for a workshop manual...

Also found that she leaves a trail of oil so somewhere I have an engine or transmission leak - there's a fair bit covering the underside of the engine/box. At least it is keeping some rust at bay... ;D

did you have her in the right gear - it's a weird gearchange if I remember correctly. It's years since I have driven a Goggo but the gearchange is sideways or back to front.

The engine is a two stroke so any oil is likely to be a transmission problem - engine casing splits from the top so check the driveshaft seals.

Manual will be with you soon.

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »
Thanks!

Yep I checked and 1st is forwards and left...I think!

As for the bodywork, it's like the bottom six inches all round needs replacing. I've seen a website for Butschek, anyone used them? I see a lot about Uwe Staufenberg however non-domiciled customers have to pay €15 for the catalogue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tight and I'll happily pay £1 at my local church so get into the craft fair, but it seems a little off to pay someone money to be able to spend money with them, if you see what I mean? Bitscheck seem to have a kit of parts that would really help...

Electrics...I have one tailights working and that's all. The B pillar indicators are missing too.

Photos to follow...
Addicted to quirky tatt!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
uwes catalogue very comprehensive i will scan a few pics so that you can get the jist - later
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
I'd recommend Staufenburg too - and you have always had to pay for the catalogue!

Campbell

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
just a couple of pages here , a very comprehensive and professional catalogue , english orders no problem
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:32:34 PM by richard »