Author Topic: 'Ello all. Noob here...  (Read 27715 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: 'Ello all. Noob here...
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
and 1 more
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »
Thanks Richard,

I shall order my catalogue forthwith...and learn some German. :D
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 02:35:26 AM »
Oh dear, a rotty botty. That can be a lot of work and a lot of money. It is what I am keeping clear of. A solid but dead Goggo I can happily get going but I do not want loads of bodywork. I feared this car was a bit of a hanger.

For ease of availability you can use a universal BMC/BL clutch puller with appropriate metric bolts into the three threaded holes provided on the brake drum. The rear drums are on tapers so need a good tighten and a sharp whack with a soft headed mallet to get them off. If they come off to simply then someone has been in there or the taper needs cleaning. The brake adjusters are not to clever, but are shared with other vehicles, so maybe found. Try not to break the handbrake shoe strap; it is brittle metal.

The UJs are a favourite pain. They can get badly worn, especially if built out of balance. In driving they will show up as a wobble and/or clonk. The kingpins die too. Great little set up with needle bearings but sadly not waterproof without lots of oil. Held in with a roll pin and you need a top quality 4mm, I think it is, drift to get them out. Dead easy then. Get the pin stuck with a bust cheapo drift and its a bas***d.

If the UJs have been duff or are gone it knocks the hell out of the drive shaft oil seals. That could be your oil leak. Not a difficult repair if the UJs are to be done. Pays to check the preloded backlash on an abused diff. They are strong and will put up with a lot of action but there is a limit.

Gears indeed are H across the car starting at the forward left. Reverse should have a gate with a shield lifted on the gearstick to go over it. That can be naffed or the front gear shaft bush disintegrated. Do not be tempted to drive far without the protection of this guard. The Goggo gearbox is nearly bullet proof but for reverse getting selected at forward speed! In good working order you can actually drive it without the clutch just using feel skill for the gear speed. Its one of the fastest gear-changes I think there is.

Be aware that you probably have two drain plugs in the bottom of the engine case for each crankcase chamber. These can be messed with and not seal, losing compression and leaking oil. Handy for clearing an unknown engine out though. Another fave is the dynostarter side oil seal poping out of position on the bearing carrier. Oil in the dynostarter will result, not helpful and again loss of compression. It is a design fault and a 'Uwe plate' cures it, from Staufenburg. Perhaps the most difficult job to try and do in the car! You need a hardened steel tool or at least distance peace to remove the dynostarter, as in Isetta, Miaco, NSU. Never put anything soft in there or you risk it never coming out again.

Like I say mechanically a Goggo is mostly good news and good metal fasteners. A few special tools are needed but you can get round most of them. It's body work that is their problem. Get it going for a blast and you will want to get that body sorted out.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
Thanks Al for these tips and info that will give me a good starting point.

I knew there were some body issues and they don't put me off  too much, being a DAF man after all! ;)

I think there may be some bush/linkage problem with the gears. First did not always engage and the movement was quite stiff forwards and backwards whilst fore and aft was fine. If the brakes are not holding her on then that might be the clutch.

The biggest problem I found was getting enough height underneath to get a proper look see. Once I have the manual to know how to take stuff apart without damaging it then I'll have the confidence to crack on with it, it's just so different to anything I've owned/worked on before.

I'm sure it'll all come good in the end and I fully understand what you say about wanting to tackle the body once I've experienced it driving properly...it's the same with the DAFs, I forgive them for far too many indiscretions  - just because they are such a hoot to drive. :)
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
It is quite easy to tip a Goggo over to one side and block it into position. I can do it on my own but two is easier. You can then do a sides maintenance.

I have not had great probs with clutches. The diaphragms crack. It is possible that a lack of use has got the clutch coated with gelatinous oil. It forms a sort of shellac type coating. Sachs use ST90 as well and can do it but the Trienkel with ST30 is well known for sticking its clutch together. Normally with ST90 a good heat cycle will see it ease off. The clutch can be got at but you oil is going to come out doing it. I guess you would prefer to ID main probs and then do them in succession rather than create more, at the moment. You cannot use Hypoid oil in the gearbox. Must be SAE or ST syrup.

Not sure I understand the gear prob put forward to back is running through plasticized bushings. They go off and break up or rusty shafts tear at them. Rotation is always easier. You will find a row of inspection hatches in the centre of the floor, underneath. If the car is rusty it is a great adventure to seek inside the caves of Goggo control lines, enjoy!

Luck, Cambell was it, has a manual. I flog mine for genuine folding type money.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
Campbell got his manual from you some twenty years ago for real folding but one day a Goggo is going to be back in my garage, hence why I'm not selling. I'm copying it anyway for a local who also has a Goggo and pressing 2 rather than 1 on the copier is not a problem.

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »
Hello Pete,
I have a Goggo T300 (which I paid FAR too much for) and it cost me £££s to restore. I lived in Hornchurch for 30 odd years and also once owned a Daf 46 (yes 46). I tried to contact Butschek once but never got an answer so now always use Uwe. I am using my Goggo as a daily driver now since we decided to make do with only one common car. (KR200 for LONG distances however.)
Good luck with it.

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 11:40:16 PM »
Thanks Swanktank! :)

I contacted Uwe, giving them the desired details for payment and received an automated e-mail informing me that my e-mail would be responded to by 13th June, that being the last that I heard from them...is this what is known as 'German efficiency'?  ;D

I think that I've also paid lots too much and also have far too much to spend too!

The 46 was a good DAF, so long as the belt held out!! If you're ever in the Colchester area and want to rekindle your DAF memories (we have about 10 of the blighters there and most of them are drivers) and see my grotty Goggo then just let me know. :)
Addicted to quirky tatt!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
Just to perpetuate the Hornchurch connection, Pete paid me a visit this afternoon as I had a Daf 33 windscreen he wanted, it was good to meet up, I showed him my Isetta and the top secret ######## project car in exchange for an invite to visit the top secret barn full of Dafs up Colchester way. I also ran a Daf 55 for some time back in the late 70's. It must be an Upminster upbringing thing!! A pleasure to meet you Peter.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 01:03:42 AM »
Glad to hear the T300 is now a regular runner. Great for distance but 'nuff said as your a Schmitter.

Many a Micro owner has been seduced by the reading of the Bands and had a DAF I have found. Why wouldn't you?

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »
Thanks for those kind words Bob.

Yes, I enjoyed my visit and seeing project 'x'!  :-X

I'll look forward to seeing you in DAF land sometime. :)
Addicted to quirky tatt!

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
Hi Pete
             You may like to know that I have a garage full of goggo spares - they came with the cars that I've bought over the last 10 years - Classic Car Weekly are doing a spread on goggomobiles next week - the mag comes out on Wed.
                                                                                                                                          Mike

swanktank

• Chatty
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
Hello Pete etc.,
The best breakdown which I had in the Daf was when the nut holding the belt wheel thingy came off late at night in Knightsbridge at the peak of the IRA troubles. When I rolled to the side of the road an army chap came up and told me that "you can't leave that here". Anyway I did. The bad news was that I had TWO instruments with me (one cello size) and a box of musicwhich I was not prepared to leave in the car. I only got as far as Monument on the last tube. I finally got home thanks to a rather expensive taxi ride to Hornchurch!
Owning the Daf did make me join the AA fortunately. After a week in Durham it would not start. The AA man discovered that the Petrol tank was empty though the gauge said half full.
My brother had a Daf 66 (and earlier a few different Micros.
On the good side my Goggo was not as bad as some as far as rust because it was an import from New Zealand. It also came with a sack full  of spares, many of which I needed, as a moron seemed to have been "working" on it. I am quite surprised how much attention in attracts down here when I am out and about.
Maurice

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
re: Tribunal
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

It wouldn't go away so here is the back of a Goggo made earlier!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:47:13 PM by Big Al »

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
Hi Pete
             You may like to know that I have a garage full of goggo spares - they came with the cars that I've bought over the last 10 years - Classic Car Weekly are doing a spread on goggomobiles next week - the mag comes out on Wed.
                                                                                                                                          Mike

Great, I'll look out for that at the newsagents. I believe one of their contributors has restored a coupe.

Handy to know about spares...I'm missing the B post signal/parking lights and a number plate light. If you have any of those I'd be happy to swap for appropriate beer tokens.
Addicted to quirky tatt!