Author Topic: 'Ello all. Noob here...  (Read 27719 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: 'Ello all. Noob here...
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
You are posting this on the wrong thread Al, it should be on "Tribunal"  I will leave you to delete and repost. Last time I went to do that I hit the wrong button, lost the post and got accused of censoring invalid carriage material!

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
Hello Pete etc.,
The best breakdown which I had in the Daf was when the nut holding the belt wheel thingy came off late at night in Knightsbridge at the peak of the IRA troubles. When I rolled to the side of the road an army chap came up and told me that "you can't leave that here". Anyway I did. The bad news was that I had TWO instruments with me (one cello size) and a box of musicwhich I was not prepared to leave in the car. I only got as far as Monument on the last tube. I finally got home thanks to a rather expensive taxi ride to Hornchurch!
Owning the Daf did make me join the AA fortunately. After a week in Durham it would not start. The AA man discovered that the Petrol tank was empty though the gauge said half full.
My brother had a Daf 66 (and earlier a few different Micros.
On the good side my Goggo was not as bad as some as far as rust because it was an import from New Zealand. It also came with a sack full  of spares, many of which I needed, as a moron seemed to have been "working" on it. I am quite surprised how much attention in attracts down here when I am out and about.
Maurice

Ah, the vagaries of DAF gauges! Yes, I've been caught out by my 33 like that, as soon as it enters reserve it's in fact dry as a bone. When you get a new DAF you have to run out of petrol only once to learn how accurate the gauge is. Worst of all is the high temperature warning light on the water cooled models which only comes on after you've cooked your cylinder head! :(

I could share many stories about my DAFs. I had had a belt brake on the A12 and the resultant tank slapper saw me on the hard shoulder which turned out to be a ditch full of pebbles. The nearside was buried up the the axle and had no traction, the offside was on Tarmac but had no belt to help drive me out...

DAFs were cheap cars at the time and for a reason - they were built down to a price. Let's see how the average Perodua is looking in 40 years time. On the plus side DAFs enabled many elderly drivers a longer driving life than they would have otherwise had but sadly that also meant that they did get their fair share of abuse and that's partly the reason for their decline. I like to think of mine as a collectors' car because I run around behind it collecting the parts that fall off...frequently. ;D

There is always a sense of trepidation upon starting a journey, especially long ones, that there is a strong possibility that I might not make it without something breaking, hence my boot is always full of spare parts and tools just in case and then the adventure begins! To my mind, that's all part if the fun! :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:08:05 PM by GoggoPete »
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
Thanks for those kind words Bob.

Yes, I enjoyed my visit and seeing project 'x'!  :-X

I'll look forward to seeing you in DAF land sometime. :)

And I'm DAFt enough to accept the invitation!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »
from the headmaster :
 big difference between " i had had a belt brake " -  tried to figure that out , very veteran motoring ! and" i had had a belt break " ah now i understand but had to try and interpret it 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
from the headmaster :
 big difference between " i had had a belt brake " -  tried to figure that out , very veteran motoring ! and" i had had a belt break " ah now i understand but had to try and interpret it 

Apologies for my bad English and glad we got there in the end... ::)
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
.I'm missing the B post signal/parking lights and a number plate light. If you have any of those I'd be happy to swap for appropriate beer tokens.

Just checking. You should have two number plate lights in the rear bumper. It is a common dodge to turn bumpers upsidedown and even swap end them to find better chrome, so if the holes are not there look further! The bumper mounted boys do tend to rot out and/or get broken. It is a part shared but it was not ever easy to find good ones whole at Mannheim unless you wanted to pay for them. Earlier cars had several differing arrangements which I imagine you can copy, depends on how you want the car ultimately.
Indicator/parking light is also shared, principally with the Trienkel, where it gets knocked off being at waist height. Not sure on availability now but they have periods of being unavailable. Several types and yours should be the later sort, but again depends how far your going to be right. Sort of thing Mike has from time to time.
If you are looking at new lights it might be worth thinking about period additional indicators as no one tends to look up top for the door post ones and most Goggo saloons have orange brake-lights. You can see how that leads to confusion. My only advice is to not use Lucas as it looks so obviously added. See picture added rubbing out prior message.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:50:05 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »
Well, I definitely have the slot for one in the rear bumper but its not there...mine's a '67 model btw.

I'm not too bothered about originality, as and when the correct items turn up then great. In the meantime if there's something that fits and does the job to make her legal then that's fine.

It does concern me being so low down that were I signalling to exit a junction then oncoming cars would have no idea. Certainly some front indicators mounted under the bumpers might help. I can probably mount some DAF66 items as they are underslung too...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:35:13 PM by GoggoPete »
Addicted to quirky tatt!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »
Jolly nearly a BMW then.

About the nicest I have seen is Renault Dauphin British spec units. Someone was selling one recently as for Scootacar. Fits the styling. They are cheap at autojumble as no one seems to know what they are. So that probably does not help you either! But an under-slung unit might be good.

You can retro fit/rewire to the Coupe interrupter system and use flashing sidelights to the front and an extra lamp rear light unit on the back so as to use the existing orange lense. If Mike has not got the black interuptor flasher box, I have some somewhere, but unavailable till autumn probably (moving).
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hella-Kennzeichenleuchte-K-28-4-universell-mit-Bauartgenehmigung-von-1970-/300920043029?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item46103b7615s

perhaps more helpful to have photographed the one that you do have , rather than the hole - but would it be 1 of these ?
HELLA K2821
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:11:47 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
Thanks Richard, it might well be. I'll take a photo next time I'm with the Goggo.
Addicted to quirky tatt!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »
if it is i do have one , complete with bulb holder but no backing rubber - i am pretty sure repro  rubbers are available . don't worry it's not going anywhere .

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »
Hi Richard
                 It's not one of these - it fits in the bumper - there should be two of them - I may have one - or two.
                                                                                                                                           Mike
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:46:35 PM by g-o-g-g-o »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »
hi mike well it appears to have had an incorrect fitted recently surely - there is a mark from an exterior fitted light isn't there ?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hella-Kennzeichenleuchte-K-28-4-universell-mit-Bauartgenehmigung-von-1970-/300920043029?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item46103b7615s

perhaps more helpful to have photographed the one that you do have , rather than the hole - but would it be 1 of these ?
HELLA K2821

Well that EBay job is the earlier light I mentioned during and after the square rear lights of the flat floor car was removed in favour of the wider higher placed plastic rear lights. A good solution but not mounted on the bumper. As I say turn the bumper over and the holes are lost. You can see why its done. The early unit is not the easiest of units to find and comes in chrome or silver finish. I have one on the St Helena Schmitt.

The later bumper job is a steel trough with contact for the festoon. It sits on a gray rubber and the whole is screwed into place through a plastic lense cover. Early are two part with an ali bezel, later are silver plastic. Both have a sort of prismatic dome to put the light onto the plate.  As in pic of blue car.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:35:02 PM by Big Al »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
just removing catalogue from my scanner and thought this should answer it finally - pictured - the catalogue showing both types of rear bumper light - the type required depends on your chassis number . yours being a late model , '69 i think you said , then it would be part 32b and not 32a as i suggested . chassis number being the decider before or after 73400
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:22:43 PM by richard »