Author Topic: search function  (Read 4407 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
search function
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
not an announcement but a querie pertaining to the forum so as good here as anywhere

The forum format,  is it tailormade or off the shelf - the latter i expect . fairly often a subject arises and i think that the subject has been tackled before , but how to search ? i think that we have to enter both the subject AND the contributor . if one wants to search the subject i.e. Cursor sale but do not know any contributor to the subject it's currently impossible to search ( isn't it ? ) . what i am asking is could the search function be less prescriptive allowing us to search a subject discussed generally , rather than entering a particular contributor ?
obviously if the forum is off the shelf we probably cannot mess with it , but it could be a useful modification couldn't it ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: search function
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
I don't search for a contributor, usually just the name of a car which might be in the thread.  The search highlights in yellow anywhere that the word is used - in no particular order it seems.
I find the problem is that you have to search in each category separately.  Often something that you think would be in the main forum is under Sales and Auctions or Events etc.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
i think that we have to enter both the subject AND the contributor . if one wants to search the subject i.e. Cursor sale but do not know any contributor to the subject it's currently impossible to search ( isn't it ? )

That is not true.
You can currently SEARCH for anything and leave the "contributor" field alone.
It currently has an asterisk in it that serves as a "wild card" meaning "any contributor"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
thanks jim i am mistaken . was there a time when there was no asterisk and that had to be filled in or am i mistaken ? there certainly was a time when if you left the contributor box blank you received a message saying so and it would not process the enquiry .now much more helpful than i realised .it is a function i use a lot but i think it's become simpler and i hadn't noticed as it wasn't flagged up . thanks again
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:38:51 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
I have no idea if there was a time past when one had to fill out the "contributor" field.
It is possible that you recall correctly, but perhaps it was "fixed" after various automatic forum updates were applied?
It works now and there is nothing I can do to make it work any different.

To answer another question you posed: this forum is "off the shelf", it is not a "tailor-made" or custom.
There are still a number of things that can still be altered, customized, fiddled with though.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
It works great for me . That was really my only problem but it had been remedied and I didn't realise. Actually a minor niggle as a uk resident it would be useful if the 'clock' was always corrected for BST or GMT . I guess it might make it worse for others would it ?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:45:04 AM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »
Immediate success I posted in off topic last week to enquire who else read OBM and now I see that it was John P - I will now send a PM
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:43:48 PM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »
It works great for me . That was really my only problem but it had been remedied and I didn't realise. Actually a minor niggle as a uk resident it would be useful if the 'clock' was always corrected for BST or GMT . I guess it might make it worse for others would it ?

But time is British. It was invented by old Issy Brunnel so that his trains ran on time on God's Wonderful Railway. Anything else is lines in the sand. Gad, a chap wouldn't know when to have his tiffen.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
Agreed. How could it make it worse for others? I'm guessing Jim would have to correct this manually for the forum and as he took on the administrators job out of the kindness of his heart and in the absence of any other volunteer with the knowhow I think we should just be grateful and suffer the clock being an hour out. It could be worse, we could have US time! We already have US spell check!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:57:28 AM by Bob Purton »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
I think we should just be grateful and suffer the clock being an hour out.

Why suffer?
I think this issue will come up every year as I have to manually tell the forum what time zone it is in.
Then Daylight Savings comes into play in some places and it does not automatically correct.

I really don't mind making the time locally correct if someone would just tell me how far off it is.
Say an hour before or after?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »

But time is British. It was invented by old Issy Brunnel so that his trains ran on time on God's Wonderful Railway. Anything else is lines in the sand. Gad, a chap wouldn't know when to have his tiffen.

Well GWR has long gone and the replacement services are on average 20 minutes late and on a slower scheduled than the old Brunnel broadguage. That will be why the Americans get there first as they are not on British time, having left the old Empire.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
Its one hour slow Jim. 

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »
Its one hour slow Jim. 

not any more!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »
great stuff  :)