Author Topic: 1965 in Gloucester  (Read 16034 times)

Stef

• Occasional
  • Don't burst my Bubble World!
1965 in Gloucester
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:11 AM »
Hello

Spotted a Heinkel for sale!  I've been hunting hard  ;D

Anyone know anything about this one or live local to help get an opinion?

No keys - easily fixed?  It says for restoration so a good expert or experienced idea of what would be involved would be fab :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321142334945&clk_rvr_id=489808517757

Thanks!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: 1965 in Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
On the face of it, it ticks all the right boxes.

Could you pick-up the Arial 3 moped (in the background) for me please.

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
Hi Stef
             Have sent you a P M if you want me to help you decide.
                                                                                                 Mike

Stef

• Occasional
  • Don't burst my Bubble World!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
After receiving advice from a friend who has owned one for years, and a very kind Rumcar member offer of help, I've decided to hold off this one.

The trim and lights are all wrong and the RHD model has gear linkage issues.  Also, I've been advised the latest models were built very cheap with lots of potential issues.  Maybe a reason why it has not run for so long??

If it were dirt cheap, the cost of restoration might be worth while.  Not sure as it is now, with still 6 days auction left too.

Really appreciate all the swift support received, just what I need!  ;D

Thanks!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
This looks more like it. Trouble is it could be what everyone is looking for. Key is not a big issue. It is a car that was sold late and has the hints of right interior etc to back it up. So it looks right. If the shell is reasonable I would say it is of definite interest. My advice would be go and look at it with your wedge in your pocket. If that is more than the seller is expecting he might end the auction early. Funny I just dropped off a rebuilt engine just up the road from there. Doubt there is a connection but on the right day I might just have fallen over it. Just as well not as I do not need it!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
After receiving advice from a friend who has owned one for years, and a very kind Rumcar member offer of help, I've decided to hold off this one.

The trim and lights are all wrong and the RHD model has gear linkage issues.  Also, I've been advised the latest models were built very cheap with lots of potential issues.  Maybe a reason why it has not run for so long??

If it were dirt cheap, the cost of restoration might be worth while.  Not sure as it is now, with still 6 days auction left too.

Really appreciate all the swift support received, just what I need!  ;D

Thanks!

I beg to differ. Headlights look like Miller, Correct. Rear lights are Hella with small later number plate light in the middle, rare but, Correct. Indicators off Isetta, Commer and early Darlek. Take them off and Ebay. The correct ones will be about the same price unless you find better condition.

Side trim. Interesting as it looks like the long bit from the rear back of the indicator has been moved down. Not sure if it is correct size - that is obsolete. But replacement in new near correct size would be about £20. A pair of original fronts would be about £20.

What was wrong with the RHD gear change? It is a different length cable, is all. If it were an Isetta I would agree. Think someone has got confused there as frankly that is a wrong bit of advice.

Build quality. Earlier the car the better. - Value of the cars. Earlier cars more expensive. - Availability of cars, Earlier harder to find, especially in reasonable condition. Beggers cannot be choosers. Your restoring the car so quality can be built in.  Unless you want a concours prize. So fit a fusebox if you want. Shall I slag of the early car faults which was why the monocoque structure was altered?

The only valid reason for not considering this car is if the rare RHD front suspension casting is/gets broken. There are next to no spare ones. I have a couple and some 6 owners awaiting the chance to buy beneath my price with unusable cars. Their choice, but that illustrates I know what I am talking about and where the real problem is on this potential purchase.

You need to view this car, even if you choose not to buy, if your seriously looking. Without a feel for the cars by looking at them you can spend a year dicking about and still buy the wrong thing. Get your 'arris down there and less with the negative vibes!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
Hi Stef
          I agree with alan ( for once ) there is nothing wrong with the RHD gear cable apart from being a bit longer it has all the right bits fitted to it like the small rear number plate light - they were scimping on costs for the later but a lot of owners prefer the RHD cars - having said that you would have to do much work on the inside to get it reasonable - I have owned a car for 40 years so I know what I am talking about and was one of the founder members of the Heinkel Trojan club.
                                                                                                                                                                   Mike

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
Looking again after Mike's comments. The inside of the door looks a little worrying unless it is a trick of the light. Is there signs of huge nosh there? Its pretty complete really, engine bay and so on, but yes the inside is a bit haphazard. I tend not to look at such things as I do not really get into interiors where as Mike has the engineers need to get things tidy and the way he wants them, which is much more to the tastes of most buyers. That's why it pays to listen to more than one opinion.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
Stef all this has just upped the interest in the car. I would hazard a guess that half the members of the forum are interested in this car at the right price and you have just got the ball rolling . In future probably better to keep schtumm and pm just one proper expert. . No hope of a bargain on this one
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
I wonder if it was ever owned by Fred West?

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
Stef all this has just upped the interest in the car. I would hazard a guess that half the members of the forum are interested in this car at the right price and you have just got the ball rolling . In future probably better to keep schtumm and pm just one proper expert. . No hope of a bargain on this one

I have to agree! The ones that have warned you off will likely be the ones that are going for it. I know I am! ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »
Easier to list those who aren't bob . Well not actually those not called bob but you know what I mean . Bob

;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:57:42 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:16:30 PM »
And to think of all the times you have lectured us about our spelling!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »
Easier to last those who aren't bob . Well not actually those not called bob but you know what I mean . Bob

Does that mean cobblers to the non Bob squad? This is a lasting comment not a permanent one I hope.

As to folk manipulating the sale to get rid of the opposition, Tsk Tsk, that such a thing could happen, or be thought to happen. I could not possibly comment. Off to clubnight near Gloucester now.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
fat thumbs and blackberries - bad combination oops  :-[