Author Topic: Amphibious Vehicles  (Read 13041 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Amphibious Vehicles
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:25:55 AM »
On land and water - interesting

http://www.gibbssports.com/

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Amphibious Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
A bit more sporty than an Argo or Amphicat.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »
Hopeful a bit safer than those DUCKS! Two of them have sunk this year!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »
Didn't know it was TWO , I wonder what brought that on . I do know that the Liverpool tourist DUKW sank I'm the Albert Dock. I took my son on it with his friends on his 11th.birhday 10 years ago.. Forgotten what DUKW stands for but sure someone knows
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »
One sank in Liverpool  yesterday

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
One sank in Dollyworld theme park last year iirc.
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
amazing  ! should think this will be the end of them , they are generally covered in a clear polythene hood - very diffucult to get out of i bet , particularly if it's sinking like a lead balloon - see coverage of yesterdays rescue
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2342226/Tourist-terror-amphibious-duck-bus-carrying-31-people-sinks-Liverpools-Albert-Dock-SECOND-time-months.html
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
We have some DUKWs in London. About three years ago Squeak and I were driving past Halitosis Hall and overtook one. All the tourists stopped photographing and looking at Big Ben and turned their attention to us in my Trojan!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
i think all the dukw's are owned by the yellow duck company or suchlike  but this recent thing will surely ground them for a while - can you "ground " an amphibious vehicle ?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:44 AM »
You certainly can ground a DUKW...when you reach the bottom of the dock!
Personally I hope they found out what went wrong, how to prevent it happening again, and get back into business safely, because it must be great fun and I would hate to see another activity banished because of Health and Safety concerns, even if this does now seem justified with DUKWs.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
They were not made with longevity in mind and as a pontoon with a truck chassis hanging out the bottom there are loads of rust traps. Used to be 10's of these at the stores near Tewksbury, where they auction them off. Many were already duff and I remember seeing one, newly acquired, barely leaving the Thames in time, as the weakened areas failed in action. They do not have great freeboard. They are notorious for being hard to restore. There was a pink one for sale for ages for around £54k. Not sure it was not on the Mersey. A pink one used to be at Wickstead park. I believe there are several at Morecombe bay somewhere in case they can get to stranded people. They have Argo too. However if your in a really unstable area even these cannot get out as they get stuck and the suction of the sand is quite dramatic enough to swamp the rescuers. Part of the reason the Chinese immigrants sent out cockling could not be rescued. Nasty business. A rare sight now, is a DUKW.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
A better piece of kit from Land Rover?

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »
I think the Stalwart were made by Alvis and had a bad habit of setting themselves on fire
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
I, to, thought it was Alvis, but it was all rolled up by then, really. Apparently the Stalwart is a very expensive and complex vehicle to run and maintain. More so than the DUKW. Pity as I always rather fancied one. Used to be a dead one on the way to Stoney Stratford/Wolverton on the Buckingham road for a long time. I think its gone but the guy always has something interesting in the garden.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
Used to be another Stalwart along the course of the Basingstoke & Alton light railway, but I think I would rather have had the Matchbox version rather than the real thing.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"