Author Topic: Amphibious Vehicles  (Read 13040 times)

golo2

• Chatty
Re: Amphibious Vehicles
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »
Daughters treated me to a London dukw trip/flight/voyage 3 years ago. Felt unsafe on both land and Thames. Land Driver had to stop and change places with a captain just before water entry. Captain kept to the shore side crossed over and shore hugged up the other side---not so far to swim??? then crossed back and after much crunching and lever pulling moved up a slipway. Swopped back to road driver and returned to start finish . Have just found oictures BUT failed to insert them as yet

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »
would you believe it another ex-army DUKW sank today in London this time , on The Thames  . pics just seen seen a rather odd combination of a semi submerged DUKW on FIRE as well - this surely will mean the end for them , all very odd after quite a few years with no incidents that i am aware of
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »
On news 5 minutes ago apparently the enquiry shows the foam used , to stop them sinking , was packed to tight around machinery causing the problem. After correction they will be cleared to go again .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »
It will take quite a lot to convince me to go on one now. Let's face it, they were designed to do one or two landings!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
They were not made with longevity in mind and as a pontoon with a truck chassis hanging out the bottom there are loads of rust traps. Used to be 10's of these at the stores near Tewksbury, where they auction them off. Many were already duff and I remember seeing one, newly acquired, barely leaving the Thames in time, as the weakened areas failed in action. They do not have great freeboard. They are notorious for being hard to restore. There was a pink one for sale for ages for around £54k. Not sure it was not on the Mersey. A pink one used to be at Wickstead park. I believe there are several at Morecombe bay somewhere in case they can get to stranded people. They have Argo too. However if your in a really unstable area even these cannot get out as they get stuck and the suction of the sand is quite dramatic enough to swamp the rescuers. Part of the reason the Chinese immigrants sent out cockling could not be rescued. Nasty business. A rare sight now, is a DUKW.

As Al says above,
But things like these are much easier to restore now.
friend of mine runs a scootershop in Weston and also owns a DUKW, after a ride on the Thames a few years ago he was so hooked on them, he came back and home and bought one.
Owning a scootershop and metal fabrication shop he tasked the workers with a full bare bones restoration over the winter, and ended up with a nigh on concourse DUKW.
Recently the only stray from factory is a 12v conversion for better starting, lights and cheaper battteries.
I was tasked with fitting the tyres, and after 60 odd years on the rims, they were troublesome to say the least :-/
When the problems of new panels arose, he tasked the fabricators to fabricate, and spares were made and are now sold world wide,
On the back of this he is now doing a healthy business in GPA restoration, fabricating spare parts for them and has also just imported another 10 Willy's jeeps to restore/sell as is.
He also owned for a while, and I had the pleasure to work on and drive for a bit a Schwimmwagen,  that was amazing fun, if a bit cramped.

I am glad the DUKW's aren't being blamed for the sinking just for being old, and hope they continue to tour the waterways and roads for all to enjoy.

Just my garbled 2 penneth  ;)
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
Suddenly those DUKs have a REAL use in all these floods!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
Wynford might need one. Had Prince Chas round his area last week. Flitzer does not float and the Mink has probably escaped!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
Wynford might need one. Had Prince Chas round his area last week. Flitzer does not float and the Mink has probably escaped!

Could it be the Mink has seen its chance and is trying to float it's way back to Bermuda as we speak...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:31:07 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »
The owner might have to be careful I, with all this cold and wet he will have to be careful it doesn't get stole. Get it ? ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:00:59 PM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
Nearly muffed it, Richard., but keep it under your hat.

Perhaps Chas was collecting the Mink. He was scheduled to be down there before the flooding got to be such a public issue, indeed he helped make it so. A microcar by Royal Appointment. Lord Snowdon had a Goggo. It is rumored the Queen had a lift in the back of a Schmitt belonging to an employee during inclement weather on one of her Estates. Someone must be able to do better than those near misses.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
Didn't D of E have Nobel pock up or should that be under wraps al x x x
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:13:33 PM by richard »